Brock & Salk Yesterday...

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Brock wasn't on, Wassel was filling in, but someone called in to talk about what Mike Holmgren had said on KJR. Salk cut him off saying he didn't care what he had to say because he thinks Holmgren ruined Brock's career. He sounded serious about it. Does anyone know any history behind this?

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I was going to ask this yesterday as well. At first I thought it was he was being dismissive because the caller was referring to a KJR interview and didn't want to give a rival show publicity until that comment. I'm pretty sure he said 'tried to ruin' rather than ruin though.

kearly

Reaction score
Salk wasn't following Seattle sports when Brock was playing here, so the sentiment likely originates from Brock. Many players, especially those on the bubble, have expressed hate for Holmgren after leaving. Heath Evans and Christian Fauria made no secret of their hate for Holmgren, and Holmgren made some enemies in Cleveland as well. I'll always love Holmgren for his time here, but he's well known for being VERY tough to work with and rubbing people the wrong way.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
kearly":35jcv9x8 said:
Salk wasn't following Seattle sports when Brock was playing here, so the sentiment likely originates from Brock. Many players, especially those on the bubble, have expressed hate for Holmgren after leaving. Heath Evans and Christian Fauria made no secret of their hate for Holmgren, and Holmgren made some enemies in Cleveland as well. I'll always love Holmgren for his time here, but he's well known for being VERY tough to work with and rubbing people the wrong way.

So was Lombardi and Parcells. Holmgren was always known as the maker of QBs and as a tough task master, going back to his days at S.F.

Just saying.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
kearly":2lw41quf said:
Holmgren was kind of the polar opposite of Pete Carroll. Holmgren loved his veterans and his players, at the expense of playing time and development of young or marginal players, and at the expense of team chemistry.

It was in hearing/reading some of the detailed accounts of that time from guys like Fauria and Evans that I reevaluated my opinion of Hutch. He still lied to everyone in Seattle, but I'd understand it if he felt like he had to get out in order to save his sanity.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I wish Holmgren would somehow end Salk's career.

Not sure how it was Holmgren's fault that Huard was made of glass. He tried to give him a shot at the job and he couldn't stay upright.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Holmgren was notoriously hard on QBs in particular. His entire offense revolved around the position even more than most and he demanded a lot.

I dont think Salk is just parrotting Brock, because Brock says his career ended because he was "injury prone" and even seemed to say last week he didnt always stay as focused as he could have been.

I think Salk really likes Brock and is sort of sticking up for his friend. Probably part of it is also that Salk is in the camp that doesnt believe in normal cases there is such a thing as "injury prone".