Broncos Vs Chiefs Game Evaluation of Drew Lock

Anajimmc

Reaction score
Physical Tools present, yes. Reading defenses, anticipation, locking on receivers, basically mental side of the game, all need lots of work. Also, some poor receiver play here that didn't help much.

OP
OP
A

Anajimmc

Reaction score
Good post. If nothing else it shows Lock has tools to work with and weaknesses to work out.
I like what I see from Fant.
Watching the Video made me think of the upcoming draft. What I'd like to see at 9 is either Jordan Davis, or one of the very good Tackles that should be available when we pick, or Tyler Linderbaum. However after considering our QB needs I wouldn't be unhappy with Willis there either. I don't think anyone denies Willis's physical talent. What seems to be overlooked are his intelligence and character. With those attributes, he would have all the tools to be a successful NFL Quarterback.

Having said that, I'm not saying Lock does not have the mental side of the game capability, he may or may not. A new landing spot, an offense that utilizes his skills, coaching and dependable receivers could be the recipe to make Drew Lock a very good Quarterback. With the importance of Quarterbacks in the NFL, I wouldn't mind seeing Lock & Willis compete.

nanomoz

Reaction score
He's definitely not good at throwing receivers open, or generally with timing on routes that aren't linear. Are those things coachable? Seems like they should be.

chris98251

Reaction score
It's between the ears, you have to have no memory and feel you can wedge the ball between the hairs on a frogs, hmm probably can't say that here, but have faith in your arm and ability, if you over think or no confidence then you are probably late already, Throwing guys open and having great routes help a QB not throw picks, thats has a lot to do with play design by the OC.

olyfan63

Reaction score
That KC video was interesting. The conclusion was that Lock is at least two years away from being a quality NFL QB. Lock seems like a guy who could steadily improve with a QB whisperer coach or two in his ear. In the meantime, he does some things well already so Waldron can adapt the offense to maximize his skillset. The Hawks certainly tailored their offense to Russell, who had both QB SuperPowers and Kryptonite weaknesses. Lock seems like he has Jared Goff type qualities, and we know that level of QB play can get a team TO the SB in the McVay/Waldron offense. As long as there is a running attack with a Todd Gurley type of talent back. Well, hello healthy Rashaad Penny!

Main question is how quickly can Lock improve between the ears, make better, quicker decisions, or is he close to his ceiling there already. I'm good with rolling with Lock for this season. I think the Seahawks feel he has some undeveloped upside and a chip on his shoulder.

To support Lock (or whoever) the team should draft some defensive studs, pass rushers, some NFL-level-ready OLine, and a running back prospect or two that fits the system.

Lock upside comparables: Matt Ryan, but with more mobility. Not saying he'll get there, just an upside to strive for.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
That KC video was interesting. The conclusion was that Lock is at least two years away from being a quality NFL QB. Lock seems like a guy who could steadily improve with a QB whisperer coach or two in his ear. In the meantime, he does some things well already so Waldron can adapt the offense to maximize his skillset. The Hawks certainly tailored their offense to Russell, who had both QB SuperPowers and Kryptonite weaknesses. Lock seems like he has Jared Goff type qualities, and we know that level of QB play can get a team TO the SB in the McVay/Waldron offense. As long as there is a running attack with a Todd Gurley type of talent back. Well, hello healthy Rashaad Penny!

Main question is how quickly can Lock improve between the ears, make better, quicker decisions, or is he close to his ceiling there already. I'm good with rolling with Lock for this season. I think the Seahawks feel he has some undeveloped upside and a chip on his shoulder.

To support Lock (or whoever) the team should draft some defensive studs, pass rushers, some NFL-level-ready OLine, and a running back prospect or two that fits the system.

Lock upside comparables: Matt Ryan, but with more mobility. Not saying he'll get there, just an upside to strive for.
He's not anything like Matt Ryan... Completely different skill sets, not a great comparison. Ryan coming into the NFL wasn't exactly known for his physical traits. He didn't have the strongest arm in the world, nor was he the most mobile guy out there. His physical traits were simply deemed not to be a hindrance to his success. What Matt Ryan was in college was a relatively refined QB that was coming out of a pro-style system with good collegiate success behind him in a pro style system.

When Ryan was drafted his comparison was of a Matt Hasselbeck with more upside. Ryan was a guy that knew how to anticipate his throws and methodically move the ball coming out of college.

Drew Lock on the other hand was seen as a raw prospect with really good physical tools, and he still is that guy to this day. I can't think of many other players who are more unlike Drew Lock than Matt Ryan. Their journeys, and way they go about the game is completely different.

Also, as far as Waldron is concerned, can we please stop thinking that he'll magically solve all of our problems? He's not McVay, we need to get that through our heads. In fact, his first year effort was relatively uninspiring. He also does not have the freedom that McVay has in LA either. Just because he worked underneath McVay for a short period of time does not mean he has the same chops.

Last edited:

toffee

Reaction score
He's not anything like Matt Ryan... Completely different skill sets, not a great comparison. Ryan coming into the NFL wasn't exactly known for his physical traits. He didn't have the strongest arm in the world, nor was he the most mobile guy out there. His physical traits were simply deemed not to be a hindrance to his success. What Matt Ryan was in college was a relatively refined QB that was coming out of a pro-style system with good collegiate success behind him in a pro style system.

When Ryan was drafted his comparison was of a Matt Hasselbeck with more upside. Ryan was a guy that knew how to anticipate his throws and methodically move the ball coming out of college.

Drew Lock on the other hand was seen as a raw prospect with really good physical tools, and he still is that guy to this day. I can't think of many other players who are more unlike Drew Lock than Matt Ryan. Their journeys, and way they go about the game is completely different.

Also, as far as Waldron is concerned, can we please stop thinking that he'll magically solve all of our problems? He's not McVay, we need to get that through our heads. In fact, his first year effort was relatively uninspiring. He also does not have the freedom that McVay has in LA either. Just because he worked underneath McVay for a short period of time does not mean he has the same chops.
Totally agreed on Waldron, he got a pass last season for two reasons:.

A. Russ was not coachable, he checked out and did whatever he felt would improve his trade value;

B. How Geno performed in Waldron's system.

In the end, we don't know if Waldron is the real deal. Russell Wilson certainly didn't think he was

olyfan63

Reaction score

Was I not clear about "UPSIDE" to strive for? Clearly Lock is lacking in the read at the LOS and anticipate and in throwing receivers open and a myriad of other things Matt Ryan does at an elite/near elite level, at least when he's having a good year.

Waldron showed me as much or more than any other OC Pete has had in his tenure. As others have pointed out, Russell was essentially uncoachable in Waldron's system. What I liked was Waldron's approach late in the season, to running opposing defenses out of their 2-High shell looks, Russell's kryptonite, to give him single-high looks he knew how to read and exploit. How much credit does Waldron get for Penny's emergence? Hard to say, but he was savvy enough to ride the Penny horse and use the run as an effective weapon to help simplify the game for Russell. Sampling the Chicago game, Waldron used Dee Eskridge a couple times on jet-sweep type plays that kept the Bears honest and helped there be room for Penny to exploit. If Lock wins the starting job, I expect Waldron will tailor the offense to Lock's skill set, like the sample we saw from Geno in his 3 game showcase. As long as Waldron is adept enough in dealing with Pete to get Pete unstuck from the "impose our will" bullcrap, and build gameplans around "exploit opponent weaknesses" and "exploit matchup advantages", it should go well enough, with whatever QB wins the job. For me, it really comes down to "Can Pete build another elite defense to support another game manager QB"?

Rosco

Reaction score
Watching the Video made me think of the upcoming draft. What I'd like to see at 9 is either Jordan Davis, or one of the very good Tackles that should be available when we pick, or Tyler Linderbaum. However after considering our QB needs I wouldn't be unhappy with Willis there either. I don't think anyone denies Willis's physical talent. What seems to be overlooked are his intelligence and character. With those attributes, he would have all the tools to be a successful NFL Quarterback.

Having said that, I'm not saying Lock does not have the mental side of the game capability, he may or may not. A new landing spot, an offense that utilizes his skills, coaching and dependable receivers could be the recipe to make Drew Lock a very good Quarterback. With the importance of Quarterbacks in the NFL, I wouldn't mind seeing Lock & Willis compete.
Willis isn’t a WCO QB, at least not now. Willis is a 2-3 year project . Unless Pete Carroll plans on running a Raven style offense

Latest posts