Browner vs Maxwell?

seadoc30

Reaction score
P.Manning would would have picked on Browner all game long. So glad he isn't playing in this game.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
I do miss the highlight reels, I don't miss all the yellow laundry Browner drew, even on uncatchable balls, particularly in away games. I think Browner put some stress on the other guys, compensating for his coverage skills. Even Lane started 4 games down the stretch for us in 2012 while Browner was suspended, and our defense didn't miss a beat.

Maxwell got thrown into the mix and made our defense statistically better, not easy to accomplish as we were already leading the league. I give Maxwell the nod, considering he's protected his assignments about as well as anyone save Sherman has during his limited starting experience, and should get better with time.

dan2314

Reaction score
browners a cheat. im done with him. (even though he did make some real fun plays). maxwell is playing awesome. he is our guy. much more well rounded player, and really makes this defense complete. will be interesting to see if peyton tries to single him out as a weak link. i think if he does byron could have an interception or two.

KDshouldBeOurMJ

Reaction score
I hope 12's arent missing BB too badly. I think Maxwell was one of the biggest blessing this defense has had. I remember before that game Gruden called the redemption of Brandon Browner alot of people were calling for thurmond to move to the #2 corner spot. When you look at Maxwell's play, I don't see how one could miss BB. Maxwell has the second best passer rating against in the NFL. Second only to Sherman. Maxwell starting alongside Sherm is going to help our secondary deal with the "four horsemen". I think the set up we have now in our secondary, and even our entire defense is as good as it could be with this coming matchup. I say that because it seems that having Walter Thurmond is going to do wonders with the Wes Welker machup since our secondary without him would be vulnerable to smaller/quicker wide recievers since we employ bigger and more physical DBs. On another note having Kj Wright back puts our defense at 100% strength and I don't think that could be said with Browner back in the mix because that would limit Maxwell or Thurmond's playing time which I don't think would be beneficial against Denver.
When you look at it from an unbiased view from old feelings of the original LOB, having the second best corner in the league from a statistical standpoint(Maxwell) is what suites this secondary best.
Those are just my thoughts.

diehardnyfan

Reaction score
I think Maxwell has stepped up HUGE!!! Was worried when Browner first got suspended but those fears are long gone.

themunn

Reaction score
Man, I miss Browner, at the end of the day, we still only lost 1 game with him playing, in a game where Sherman got torched as much as he did.

One thing about BB, watching the RRR, it seems as if he instills a bit of fear in his own teammates. Imagine how it feels going up against him when he's NOT on your side.
Browner's likely played his hand out of the league with the PED suspension, but if the offers aren't forthcoming, I'd absolutely love to see him back with us on a vet minimum contract. Some things just can't be taught.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
One thing I've noticed (maybe its a misperception) is that with Max on that side instead of Browner that ET isn't cheating or drifting over to that side any where near as much... seems like he's been staying home and patroling the middle of the field a lot more, maybe even playing a little closer up. Seems like Max in there has freed him up.

hawker84

Reaction score
I'll take Maxwell all day any day over Browner, yes BB makes plays like big hits, stripping the ball, but his coverage skills were not on par with Maxwell... Liked him in there, but i'm much more comfortable with maxwell, especially with the smaller recievers.

sam1313

Reaction score
dan2314":2bj58cmn said:
browners a cheat. im done with him. (even though he did make some real fun plays). maxwell is playing awesome. he is our guy. much more well rounded player, and really makes this defense complete. will be interesting to see if peyton tries to single him out as a weak link. i think if he does byron could have an interception or two.

I'm done with this post. Get off your high horse for a minute, and realize that BB got us to where we are - we would not be this good if he never played for us so show a little respect and quit dissing one of the primary building blocks of our team.

That said, I agree Max is a better overall corner. I wish we still had BB though, even just for special teams. Anyone remember that play against the Cards a year or two ago when he took out three players in a kick off return. Also, against Carolina last year it was Cam Newton who held the ball that was stripped, and BB covered both the RB and the QB on that OPTION play!!! BB was a man, and I do miss the physical menace that he presented for other teams.

Finally, next time you think about dissing BB, think about how badly it may suck to see him in a Niner, Cards or Rams jersey next year. We get beat up enough in those games, and I would hate to see BB on the other side of the ball...

Best of Luck BB - I would love to have you play for the Hawks again.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
I was and am still a Browner fan. He made a few very poor decisions and it cost him dearly. Its hard to watch old game film and not see that Browner was huge against these Broncos and many other teams. With that in mind I think Maxwell has done an absolutely astounding job of jumping in there and not missing a beat! Like others have mentioned Browner had the ability to take guys off their game mentally just beating them into submission. Whereas Maxwell is more of a textbook cover corner, a very good one at that. Both effective, two different means to a similar end. Maxwell is not the guy in the secondary I am concerned with at this point. That falls on Bruce Irvin. Really want that cat to show up huge in the Superbowl.

I am not so sure we have seen the last of Browner either. Yes he screwed the pooch, but he may well become a bargain for someone in doing so. His value has been affected tremendously by this. And I don't know about you, but I would rather not have to face him in a Niners uniform. I could be wrong, hopefully not though. The LOB is just not the same without him.

McGruff

Reaction score
better defender?

Dennis Rodman or Bruce Bowen?

Both great defenders, but very different. Rodman was a physical intimidator who demoralized opponents. Bowen was the pesky rat who wore them down. Same goes for Browner and Maxwell.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Sometimes it looks like Maxwell is out of position, but that is the coverage the Seahawks are running. They are playing man to man with Sherman and zoning off the rest of the field.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":143alunk said:
Browner was better at getting the other receiver out of his game, turning him into a raging lunatic instead of concentrating on running proper routes. His physicality was unmatched by the rest of the CB's when initiating coverage.

This. Also, Browner was a fiend against runs and screens to his side. You really can't understate the impact he had in that area of the defense.

Maxwell also isn't nearly as physically intimidating with the hits and what not, but he's faster, quicker and better in coverage. Maxwell has good ball skills but I'm not sure he's quite as good as Browner there yet.

I'm really not sure whether Browner would be an asset or liability against Peyton Manning.

lukerguy

Reaction score
While I like Maxwell more on a whole. I think Browner would have presented a better matchup for this game. They are going to try and move D.Thomas away from Sherm and Browner is a better jammer at the line. Browner got beat by Hilton quite a bit, but I don't see Welker running deep routes. He's better at the short little slant and out routes.

m0ng0

Reaction score
I am the biggest Browner fan I know :D but Maxwell has really played well and at this point Browner may be lucky to be a nickle guy next year, remember we have Tharold Simon that is going to be fighting for playing time next year also. I could see Browner moving to strong safety to back up Kam. but his days as a corner sadly went up in smoke......

OP
OP
B

blazen2392

Reaction score
I agree Maxwell is the better overall corner, but i just feel like he lacks the same confidence browner had. He looks like the kind of player that could get rattled easily. i wish he was more arrogant like sherman.

Latest posts