Browner

irocdave

Reaction score
Man I miss the original member of the LOB. He is toughening up the Pats D, just like he did here. Pats fans view him the same as the Hawk fans did, half seem to think he just gets penalties while the other half appreciate the badassness he brings to a D. Penalties be dammed.

I had the game on in the one of the living rooms and was dinking around in my computer room. My 11 YO son runs in and said " I think Browner broke a Charger receiver, it was AWESOME!!!) By the time I get to the TV it had gone to a commercial break. My son kept saying "you watch, that guy will still be laying there when the game comes back on". He was right. It was a bad call, similar to Kam doing what Kam has done to VD over the last couple years.

OrFan

Reaction score
irocdave":rhcykpkv said:
Man I miss the original member of the LOB. He is toughening up the Pats D, just like he did here. Pats fans view him the same as the Hawk fans did, half seem to think he just gets penalties while the other half appreciate the badassness he brings to a D. Penalties be dammed.

I had the game on in the one of the living rooms and was dinking around in my computer room. My 11 YO son runs in and said " I think Browner broke a Charger receiver, it was AWESOME!!!) By the time I get to the TV it had gone to a commercial break. My son kept saying "you watch, that guy will still be laying there when the game comes back on". He was right. It was a bad call, similar to Kam doing what Kam has done to VD over the last couple years.

Browner is the one player I wish we had back. Yeah, Tate blah blah blah, Browner and his attitude started the Legion of Boom!

sc85sis

Reaction score
He led with his shoulder, but unfortunately his shoulder pad did go up into the bottom of the guy's helmet. Just one of those freak things because the guy was dropping down as Brandon made the hit. No way he could have avoided it as fast as they were both moving.

Meeker

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1079v2e1 said:
Brahn":1079v2e1 said:
They probably called it on Browner because he left his feet for the hit, thus "Springing into the WR". Not saying the call was correct.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ing-rules/

Still a great hit that 15 years ago gets you on talk shows.

Nah, read the rule. Unnecessary roughness for "launching" still requires making contact with your helmet. Browner led with his shoulder and made contact with the defenseless receiver's shoulder.

(j) if a player illegally launches into a defenseless opponent. It is an illegal launch if a player (1) leaves
both feet prior to contact to spring forward and upward into his opponent, and (2) uses any part of his
helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/”hairline” parts) to initiate forcible contact against any
part of his opponent’s body.

What about this?

(b) Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:
(1) Forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him; and

The flag was correct, your problem is with the rule, not the flag. Browner clearly got a piece of his facemask.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":2ej46r47 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/543495905950048257[/tweet]
But Blandino said it was a good call!

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Two people can look at the same play and see it totally differently. When that happens, the player rarely gets fined.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Scottemojo":ennxmeiq said:
KitsapGuy":ennxmeiq said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/543495905950048257[/tweet]
But Blandino said it was a good call!

To be fair, Blandino said that a foul did occur on the play but not the one called on the field. The refs called it helmet to helmet, but the penalty should have been called shoulder to helmet.

Now me? I think it was too close to call, and if that's the case there better not be a fine.

It was very similar to the Kam hit on Vernon Davis.

Kam's hit is lower and then the facemask snaps into the shoulder

Browner's hit is just a bit higher and he may or may not have hit the facemask as the same time as the chest.

Here are clips for both.

[youtube]fH1i1N1eENw[/youtube]

[youtube]dTwA091zKuo[/youtube]

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Kam's hit was better because he hit Davis a little lower in the chest, which is closer to the "strike zone." After slowing down both plays, neither Kam nor Browner appear to make any contact with the facemask. Rather, both facemasks appear to ricochet backward due to the force of the shoulder-to-chest contact. Of course, reasonable minds can disagree, which is why neither was fined for their hits.

Basis4day

Reaction score
hawknation2014":349ue6bk said:
Kam's hit was better because he hit Davis a little lower in the chest, which is closer to the "strike zone." After slowing down both plays, neither Kam not Browner appear to make any contact with the facemask. Rather, both facemasks appear to ricochet backward due to the force of the shoulder-to-chest contact. Of course, reasonable minds can disagree, which is why neither was fined for their hits.

At the angle around 1:13 in the Browner vid i think he does make contact with the facemask at the same. On the All-22 the ref who through the flag was a good 15 yards away, but his angle does make it more likely he only saw the facemask contact only. Then again, he works with Bill Leavy.

This should be reviewable, though Pete would disagree. He hates replay and wishes they would do away with it and let the football gods work it out. Doesn't mean he would never throw a challenge flag since it's in the rule book. He just wishes it didn't exist.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Basis4day":8y8yzt7n said:
hawknation2014":8y8yzt7n said:
Kam's hit was better because he hit Davis a little lower in the chest, which is closer to the "strike zone." After slowing down both plays, neither Kam not Browner appear to make any contact with the facemask. Rather, both facemasks appear to ricochet backward due to the force of the shoulder-to-chest contact. Of course, reasonable minds can disagree, which is why neither was fined for their hits.

At the angle around 1:13 in the Browner vid i think he does make contact with the facemask at the same. On the All-22 the ref who through the flag was a good 15 yards away, but his angle does make it more likely he only saw the facemask contact only. Then again, he works with Bill Leavy.

This should be reviewable, though Pete would disagree. He hates replay and wishes they would do away with it and let the football gods work it out. Doesn't mean he would never throw a challenge flag since it's in the rule book. He just wishes it didn't exist.

Yeah . . . I don't think that's clear at all. Looks to me like he hits him clean in the shoulder with the possibility that there is at least a centimeter of space between his shoulder and the receiver's facemask, which ricochets backward from the force of the hit. Replay would not have helped because there is no clear angle that is capable of showing whether there was actual contact with the facemask. Anyway, it was a close call. I personally don't think it was a penalty, and the league made the correct decision not to fine him for the hit.

Latest posts