Bruce Irvin on fire....

olyfan63

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":2fgff7zw said:
Yep, I'm pretty sure he'd take that back on reflection, but it's a ridiculous thing to say in the first place. Smacks of selfish to me, and that's not very PC.

Thank God we drafted and developed him for his on-field football abilities and not for his post-game interview prowess.
Sure he currently sucks, in terms of his polish at post-game interview. He may not have the quick-thinking verbal skills to go with his game. He aint no Richard Sherman here. I'll take Bruce's actual play on the field, and smile and ignore the post-game interview. The best part is that we got both from him the last 2-weeks, crunch-time game-ending sacks, and this week the pick 6. Bruce is talking on the field with his play, where it matters.

I couldn't disagree with you more about the selfish/non/team/non-PC take on Bruce.

He's adapted to playing LB and not complained and done his very best to improve at the position. He's developed his pass rush skills over the 2 years to the point he now has more than the outside speed rush. He goes in whereever he's asked and works his ass off 100% of the time that I see him on the field. Does he get beaten sometimes, absolutely. But there's never, never an effort problem, and never a complaint about his role, just a desire to do it well. And absolutely a prototypical PC (Pete Carroll) player, turning into one of Pete's best reclamation projects, Pete reading a player's heart and desire and placing his bets.

For the counterexample, we need look no futher than Percy Harvin, a failed PC reclamation project. Harvin's probably a better post-game interview. New York media... he's all yours!

olyfan63

Reaction score
SomersetHawk, maybe Bruce was just getting warmed up, and you only heard his warmup interview.
I liked this one better:

Linebacker Bruce Irvin on beating Oakland quarterback Derek Carr to the end zone on Irvin’s 35-yard interception return for a touchdown: “I should have run over him, but I had to prove I was faster than he was.”

Amusing, (IMO live and from replays I saw) because Irvin actually did get pushed out half a yard before scoring by Carr, though the TD call didn't get reversed.

A good stiff-arm would have worked nicely also.

fisholot

Reaction score
He's gonna just keep getting better... Remember he had a procedure earlier this year so he might really get going here at the end...

JesterHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":8dj5tran said:
Is he okay though? How bad are the burns?

Bruce_Everdeen_katniss_everdeen_30496661_500_500.png

He got that special kind of fire.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'd say that he was "on fire", but he played a very solid game Sunday, and not just the pick 6. If he keeps playing like that, I'll have to dig up some recipes for baked crow.

But he has to sustain it. Like one poster said, Irvin can disappear for weeks if not months.

olyfan63

Reaction score
RiverDog":2jec398v said:
I'm not sure if I'd say that he was "on fire", but he played a very solid game Sunday, and not just the pick 6. If he keeps playing like that, I'll have to dig up some recipes for baked crow.

But he has to sustain it. Like one poster said, Irvin can disappear for weeks if not months.

Irvin "disappearing" - yeah, while he was learning to play LB his # didn't get called a lot, and big OL had his one-trick-pony outsided speed rush figured out. I think he's past the bulk of both issues now, and don't expect to see him disappearing like that anymore. It was just stuff he had to work through his first two years to play at an NFL level.

Kinda like Golden Tate, not so much the first 2 years, then lights out the next 2 years.

RiverDog

Reaction score
olyfan63":35a2eua7 said:
RiverDog":35a2eua7 said:

Irvin "disappearing" - yeah, while he was learning to play LB his # didn't get called a lot, and big OL had his one-trick-pony outsided speed rush figured out. I think he's past the bulk of both issues now, and don't expect to see him disappearing like that anymore. It was just stuff he had to work through his first two years to play at an NFL level.

Kinda like Golden Tate, not so much the first 2 years, then lights out the next 2 years.

You hope that he's like Tate and will be "lights out for two years". Unlike Tate, he hasn't done it yet.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
RiverDog":2o6vb0oc said:
olyfan63":2o6vb0oc said:
RiverDog":2o6vb0oc said:

You hope that he's like Tate and will be "lights out for two years". Unlike Tate, he hasn't done it yet.

Tate was, "lights out" for two years?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":1sh3q1dw said:
RiverDog":1sh3q1dw said:
olyfan63":1sh3q1dw said:
RiverDog":1sh3q1dw said:

Tate was, "lights out" for two years?

Bruce Irvin will probably finish his rookie contract with more AV (Approx. Value) than Tate.

Tate's first 2 years: 5 AV
Irvin's first 2 years: 10 AV

Tate's rookie contract: 22 AV with 8 and 9 his last two years.

Irvin ironically despite all the hate got a 7 AV in 2013 in 12 games (2 sacks) vs a 3 AV in 2012 (8 sacks).

Hmm... haters gonna hate.