Bruce Irvin suspended

Marvin49

Reaction score
pehawk":2lkveoqr said:
Marvin49":2lkveoqr said:
BamKam":2lkveoqr said:
Pretty much this. Seahawks are finally serious about football.

Just...wow.

I'm not gonna try and stand on a high horse because players on just about every team will get popped for this....

....but to move to the point where you make it a positive and say that its a sign they take winning seriously.....WOW.

Dude was cheating. Plain and simple. If a Niner got hit for it I'd say the same...he cheated. I'm an SF Giants fan as well and I can't stand Melky Cabrera. Bonds years were pretty rough.

I try not to engage the 49er fans, but this is TOO obvious. The 49ers got “popped” for their SB years, if not officially. Hell, Dennis Erickson was hired for the NFL equivalent of bowl ban years. Stop, please, you're looking dumb.
The 49ers got popped for modifying Brent Jones contract in order to sign rookie Jim Druckenmiller.

Prior to that there was no cap so please explain how they cheated.

Also...I acknowledge that they screwed up...I don't justify it as "well now they are serious abut winning". They got caught. It was wrong. End of story.

vedthree

Reaction score
iigakusei":2eow3ydf said:
Why would this come out now? Be curious on the timing of it.

It's coming out now because the NFL officially announced it. The timing of it makes perfect sense - after rookie camps, before the start of OTA's and training camp.

This is the way the League's process is supposed to work when there are no leaks - everything happens behind closed doors until the official punishment is finalized. Remember, in the Browner/Sherman cases, those played out in public because someone leaked the story to the press early.

OP
OP
SeahawksFanForever

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
There is no point of sitting there complaining about it. I just hope that PC steps up now and lay out the expectations to the team. If it was just one guy then it's still understandable but Bruce is #6 in 2 years? That's unacceptable.

Adderall is not a HUGE deal but this hurts the team. No player should be allowed to act selfish like this.

And people here need to stop overreacting. People that are already calling him a bust.

SirTed

Reaction score
HawkWow":1d2b0uph said:
Some in here seem to be OK with all of this. You must be lost. One poster commented that Irvin was "just trying to gain a competitive edge". Oh, is that all he was doing? How do you justify that...because he's a Hawk? It's CHEATING. Irvin's actions were reckless, rediculous and there's nothing OK about it. Vent over.

CHEATING!!!! Here we go!!! Not another cheater!

How do you feel about Okung when he gets away with holding on a given play? That's cheating!

Look, obviously there is a difference between an instance of holding and taking a banned substance. But think about this for a second - you, me, all of us have NO idea what it takes to compete at the level that these guys are competing at. Plus, we have no real knowledge of what other players are and are not getting away with. You can't be naive enough to think that only those that get "busted" taking PED's are using them. So, how do you feel about that nameless faceless mass out there, those "cheaters" - that without a doubt contain players you like, players on your favorite team.

And this argument doesn't just concern PED's. It's everywhere, extra tape on your jerseys. bounties, etc.

The bottom line is this, there is NFL as we viewers see it, wish it to be, and there's the reality. Any time that curtain is lifted and we're left to view the harsh reality of what these players do to themselves and one another we're disgusted. It happens every time. It's the biggest reason Goodell has reacted to the safety issue like he has. He wants the myth (and cash cow) of the NFL to continue.

I don't condone the behavior - well maybe I do, I don't know. And if a player gets caught, he should have to face the consequences - and Irvin will.

I simply state that with the NFL in it's current state of half assed testing, it's impossible for me to distinguish who is "cheating" and who isn't, and what is cheating and what isn't - so I'm going to go ahead and leave it to them, the professionals to determine what they need to do, and what is maybe outside of the specific written rules, but within the unwritten rules of those that ACTUALLY PLAY.

I'm just as disappointed as any most of you - but I'm in no position to judge what he did, and I'm especially in no position to judge the man himself.

12thManNorth

Reaction score
The main thing I hate is he's missing the SF game with Clem possibly out for that as well. As we saw last season, winning the division is of PARAMOUNT importance, each and every game matters, especially the H2H vs SF. 1 blip on the radar could be the difference between the #1 and #5 seed, ie 2 playoff games both at home, or 3, likely all on the road. Him missing the Houston game is tough too as that game was already a tossup even with him healthy. On a side note, I HATE how the NFL aligns their playoffs. If a 5 seed has a better record than a 4 seed or in the very rare scenario of 6 seed having a better record than a 3 seed, the team with the better record should host that game. It's this rule that could be our demise not only this coming year but future years, so long as SF remains as dominant as they are. It was a joke that we hosted New Orleans in the Beastquake game when they were 3 or 4 wins better than us, and we should've hosted Washington last year. Likely Clem wouldn't have tore up his knee, the Hawks would be a little fresher instead of B2B east coast games, and who knows what could've happened against ATL.

I LOVE the job PC and JS are doing, but there's a reason that many teams will pass on meatheads, even though they are loaded with talent. We're one of best in the league at dealing with those type of guys, but every so often things like this can come up. Take the previous suspensions we've already seen, Beastmode's DUI case, Leroy Hill's issues (I know he's gone now), Sherm's continued antics, etc. Suspensions & idiocy are part of life in the NFL and definitely not just limited to Seattle, so this definitely aint gonna be the last of it, but as long as we keep on winning, I'm ALL IN with how we're running things. It's when the losing begins that having a roster loaded with meatheads can really come back to bite you, as then guys start playing for themselves and it becomes harder to replace guys with equal amounts of talent, since losing teams obviously have a harder time attracting top FA's. Luckily for us 12’s though, it appears there’s a whole lot of winning coming before the losing sets in again :)

Marvin49

Reaction score
BamKam":1o0lnh4y said:
It is really going to bother me when a 49er fans calls us cheaters after we beat them, idk if I will be able to mentally get over it.

Speaking as I Niner fan, I'm not gonna do it.

The 'hawks really need to look into why these guys keep getting popped for the same drug, but to think every single player is clean in any NFL locker room is naive.

Its just dissappointing.

I look at it from teh opposite perspective....If the Niners win in Seattle we'll just hear "we didn't win because Irvin (and possibly Lynch) were out". I'd prefer 'hawks were at full strength.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1rq1g923 said:
I'm so pissed. #MentallyStewing

I don't blame you. I'd be pissed too. At least you still have Avril and Bennett.

Giedi

Reaction score
Marvin49":24d7a0xo said:
BamKam":24d7a0xo said:
It is really going to bother me when a 49er fans calls us cheaters after we beat them, idk if I will be able to mentally get over it.

The 'hawks really need to look into why these guys keep getting popped for the same drug, but to think every single player is clean in any NFL locker room is naive.

Its just dissappointing.

I look at it from teh opposite perspective....If the Niners win in Seattle we'll just hear "we didn't win because Irvin (and possibly Lynch) were out". I'd prefer 'hawks were at full strength.
This on top of the Marshawn DUI case should make the Hawk fanbase concerned something more than just adderall is going on.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Giedi":3sd0dtl9 said:
Marvin49":3sd0dtl9 said:
BamKam":3sd0dtl9 said:

Its just dissappointing.

This on top of the Marshawn DUI case should make the Hawk fanbase concerned something more than just adderall is going on.

I doubt they are related.

However 3 guys getting popped for the same drug in less than a year....

...something is going on there. May not be the organization...just common supplier. Dunno...but 'hawks gotta do something.

Largent80

Reaction score
# just because everyone wants to say hash tag. Hell maybe he is smoking hash, and the bastard didn't invite me.

Boiler

Reaction score
This news reminds me why I shouldn't frequent this site during the time between the draft and the beginning of the preseason. The only signficant news is usually bad news. That's not to say I have the willpower to stay away, however.

Giedi

Reaction score
Marvin49":1n5e4h3v said:
Giedi":1n5e4h3v said:
Marvin49":1n5e4h3v said:

Its just dissappointing.

...something is going on there. May not be the organization...just common supplier. Dunno...but 'hawks gotta do something.
I think something is going on but I think it's not really at the player level. It could be higher up. Again, it's just a possibility, not accusing anybody of anything - it's just weird how this is evolving. I'm pretty sure the front office is now on notice and will do their due diligence. The seattle season is at stake.

SE174

Reaction score
Marvin49":q5jbf78q said:
BamKam":q5jbf78q said:

Its just dissappointing.

Akin to last year's "Justin Smith was out and Aldon was hurt and we lost VD and Mario."

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Damn you Washingtonians. I blame all of you! Once you legalized marijuana... we all know its a gateway drug! Marijuana leads to adderol.

kearly

Reaction score
In all seriousness, I think we'll be just fine. Look at how well the team weathered the loss of Brandon Browner. Browner is a fantastic player and the dropoff at corner was (IMO) significant, but at the end of the day football is a team sport and only a handful of players in the NFL are capable of having their absence felt (most of them QBs).

Irvin is the most one dimensional player on the team and his skillset can be replaced in other ways. His role as the "spinner" blitzer on 3rd down could be taken by a few other players, namely Winston Guy or maybe Korey Toomer as they are outstanding blitzers. My only real worry is that we are starting on thin ice at defensive line. Any further subtractions are going to hurt.

Not that I think it will happen, but I hope Seattle uses this suspension as an excuse to sign John Abraham to a cheap 1 year deal.

Largent80":3gitpdaf said:
At this moment I am attaching BUST to Irvin.

6Wmxw

warden

Reaction score
SHOCKER315":39f2ira2 said:
chawx":39f2ira2 said:
Pete and Co probably knew something was up, hence all the DL signings... I'm not worried, we have major depth at DL / pass-rush. Plus, it's just 4-games.

We'll have him for the SB run.

Assuming he or others on the team can figure out how to stop getting caught "accidentally" taking banned substances.

The team , Browner, Sherman knew about those positive tests about 2 months before it went public. Odds are very likely that the Seahawks knew of his before they signed Bennett and Avril

Largent80

Reaction score
Giedi":9qu03n59 said:

I think something is going on but I think it's not really at the player level. It could be higher up. Again, it's just a possibility, not accusing anybody of anything - it's just weird how this is evolving. I'm pretty sure the front office is now on notice and will do their due diligence. The seattle season is at stake.

Seriously dude. You seem obsessed with some sort of doom and gloom. Hooked on Marshawns DUI case and now this. You appear to be a polite troll.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SE174":lkq1fbny said:
Marvin49":lkq1fbny said:
BamKam":lkq1fbny said:

Its just dissappointing.

Akin to last year's "Justin Smith was out and Aldon was hurt and we lost VD and Mario."

yup