Bruce Irvin suspended

seahawksflow

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1au6cavi said:
Maybe the coworker was exaggerating also. But like I said, I have been offered it on several occasions. I do hang out with a pretty diverse crowd of all ages though and we do party a bit so maybe my experience is not normal either.

You have made it pretty clear that adderall is not that big of a deal. That is the problem some are having.... why would they risk suspensions for something that is not a big deal... they probably are not that dumb. So it leads to think it was something else. The accidentally took it at a party doesn't make sense to me either. How many idiots does it take to learn not to take some random pill at a party? I say random because no way they would take some low impact pill like adderall knowing they could get suspended right?

The fact that adderall isn't such a big deal just shows that it likely was something else, and adderall was just a cop out. These guys have acted stupid and selfish lately. But they are not that stupid and selfish to risk suspensions for adderall that offers no benefit.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'd guess easily 80% of the PED suspensions in the NFL are not due to Adderall. I've taken it before to stay up all night; it works great for that. (Friend of mine has had a pretty bad/legitimate case of ADHD his whole life, but doesn't use as much as he's prescribed.) It does help you focus, though. The on-the-field performance improvements have got to be minimal at best, I would imagine.

NYCoug

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3656197i said:
It's not a dealer. I'm 51 and have been offered it on many occasions. Walk up to three people in a pub and one will probably have some.

So... where'd you say this pub was again??

hawkstalker

Reaction score
You treat players like men and they act as children. "there is no i in team" doesn't mean anything to Irvin. Hope the B....... NEVER comes back. Hey Pete, maybe add another box to your checklist for maturity.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
seahawksflow":275ambaw said:
RichNhansom":275ambaw said:

People sometimes make poor decisions when they are drinking. Lynch and Portis decided to get behind the wheel. Wouldn't it seem pretty stupid considering what is at risk and how easy it would be to not drive?

We can say they aren't that stupid but ignoring the stupid things some do under the influence kind of disproves that theory.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":20sath5i said:
Jerhawk":20sath5i said:
Bruce Irvin has had a "tuff" couple of weeks. Lol the fact he spelled that out in his statement is a joke. What an ultramaroon

Note to self: If you are going to be the grammar or spelling police it is wise to double/triple check your own.
lol woops you're right :oops:
I thought I typed "moron" not "ultramaroon" idk where that came from

acbass

Reaction score
I'm in law school. Adderall is pretty much passed out the second you walk in. Everyone is on it. It's funny, we all call it "juicing." Haha. Great for the mind, but it gets your heart rate up so quickly I can't imagine taking it then playing football. I've been on it for 6 months and it's definitely a life saver.

seahawksflow

Reaction score
acbass":f91wk3ka said:
I'm in law school. Adderall is pretty much passed out the second you walk in. Everyone is on it. It's funny, we all call it "juicing." Haha. Great for the mind, but it gets your heart rate up so quickly I can't imagine taking it then playing football. I've been on it for 6 months and it's definitely a life saver.

Right, I've had it too... which is again why, I like many here do not see it being adderall that caused a positive test. It's not worth the risk. You make millions of dollars a year, and are surrounded by staff who get paid millions of dollars a year to insure you understand how to avoid these things and do not make mistakes that stupid. Whatever was taken, was taken with the assumption the risk was worth it. If it was one guy, in 2010 made a "mistake" at a party... okay maybe. But after a half a dozen... sorry, people just aren't that brainless. Then we have to factor in the chances that the 6 guys who tested positive just so happen to be the only ones taking something? Give me a break. I've seen a few people mention they were dumb when they were young... they also weren't surrounded by the same support staff that these players are. If you played sports in college you would understand that... now imagine the support they get in the pros. I understand that each individual player has their own unique situation... but have half a dozen guys in two years is inexcusable.

The Radish

Reaction score
hawkstalker":2c63j8mk said:
You treat players like men and they act as children. "there is no i in team" doesn't mean anything to Irvin. Hope the B....... NEVER comes back. Hey Pete, maybe add another box to your checklist for maturity.

You make this kind of remark and then call yourself a Seahawks fan?

:141847_bnono:

rjdriver

Reaction score
It's very early in his career. He screwed up. He's being accountable, at least ostensibly. Let's get this four game suspension out of the way, chalk it up as a learning experience, and hope Bruce has a solid 5-8 years as a successful pass rusher for the Seahawks.

I don't pretend to understand the pressure these guys are under to maximize their ability and performance on the field. Their career is so finite. We have all said that Bruce doesn't appear to be well prepared to have near the finincial success outside of football as he does in it. He knows it as well. He doesn't have an advanced degree, not super articulate, doesn't have a long history of vocational expertise. Guys like this will NEVER have the earning power like they do right now. This is probably scary as hell. Knowing that the industry is so competitive and injury prone puts an enormous onus on these guys to give themselves every advantage available.

This is not an excuse per we, but a reason. There are always reasons for our behaviors, whether they be good or bad. Human behavior is really a study in incentives. Risk vs. reward. The dilemma these guys face might tempt many of us if we were in the same position, now keep in mind that Bruce is from a far different place than many of us, hence his incentives for taking a banned substance might be made with less rational thought than they would for us. His glasses are probably not as clear as ours are.

Yes it sucks, yes I'm dissapointed, but I'm not going to judge this kid. It's easy for us to say "I would never do it if I were him". Truth be told, I'm a son of a banker whose college was partially paid for by my patents, I have no idea what it's like to be him. If I had the adversity and challenges Bruce faced as a youth, I would probably be locked up somewhere, not in the NFL. I'm glad he got caught, and I'm glad he got caught early, hopefully this can change his perspective on things and he has learned his lesson. It's the first four games, we will survive , and I hope he comes out of the gate with incredible desire to prove himself in game five.

nepahawk

Reaction score
How do they determine the length of suspension?

Rams rb, Pead, suspended 1 game for PED's violation.
On May 22nd a Rams lineman was given the same penalty.

Irvin gets 4 games, does that mean it was a bigger violation?

drdiags

Reaction score
nepahawk":25jwbxak said:

One is for substance abuse. The other is deemed worse when altering your physical stature to gain an advantage, thus a harsher penalty. Drunk vs juiced.

nepahawk

Reaction score
drdiags":3ms1bf0u said:
nepahawk":3ms1bf0u said:

One is for substance abuse. The other is deemed worse when altering your physical stature to gain an advantage, thus a harsher penalty. Drunk vs juiced.

Thanks for the explaination.

drdiags

Reaction score
As our more enlightened fans would say, who cares what the opponents fans, players and coaches have to say about the team's PEDs usage. Just win, right?

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/harbaugh-seahawks-ped-issues-we-want-be-above-reproach

"Is it a concern? I've definitely noticed it," said Harbaugh when asked about the Seahawks' problems.

"You don't know what it is. I mean, even when people say what it is, you don't know that's what it is. It's this thrown out or it's that. But that's usually the agents or the players themselves saying, for example, Adderall. The NFL doesn't release what it actually is. You have no idea. You're taking somebody at their word and I'm not sure you can take them at their word, understanding the circumstances."

What does he know.

Latest posts