Building a new defense

Chawker

Reaction score
I'm assuming we 'll be running a 3-4 defense this season with McDonald's given past teams. If this is the case we will have to make some slight changes to our personal to set up Macs foundation.

First of all we'll be needing another DE that will fit into this alinement, D.Jones and Mike Morris are serviceable DE in a 3-4 defense. Miles Adams is a good back-up at this position. But, don't rule out the Seahawks not drafting one this year.

Last edited:

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I'm assuming we 'll be running a 3-4 defense this season with McDonald's given past teams. If this is the case we will have to make some slight changes to our personal to set up Macs foundation.

First of all we'll be needing another DE that will fit into this alinement, D.Jones and Mike Morris are serviceable DE in a 3-4 defense. Miles Adams is a good back-up at this position. But, don't rule out the Seahawks not drafting one this year.
I’m thinking it’s not just one base Mac likes to play. Joel Klatt says the Mac defense (which has been also the Michigan defense) is an option of both the odd and even fronts.

Whatever player is “left” on board, I think will be the center piece of Seattle rebuilt Mac defensive front or as Joel Klatt calls it, “run wall.”

3-4 or 4-3, I think the NFL and largely Mac’s system employs a hybrid to switch between the two with a safety as dynamic as possible to further engage in the box or can even cover flats.

One name that has been thrown a lot around has been Byron Murphy of Texas. Murphy seems to be scheme versatile and possibly the center piece of this rebuilt defensive line that Seattle will look to employ. Possibly.

It’s going to be real exciting this draft!

Let’s gooooo!!!

Wsumatt1982

Reaction score
I’m all for Murphy, verse or turner at that top pick. I do think they may have to trade up for the latter two. I get the feeling colson is our guy at our 3rd and we may have to move up to get him but I think he would be the center piece of the D rebuild

Scout

Reaction score
I look for the Hawks to be adding a true nose tackle through the draft. Reed is very good at it but adding true nose that can line up next Reed in short yardage situations or even goal line would be potent to have as an option.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score

Oh we will get an edge in the draft either early or a bit in the middle methinks -

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
So, if I'm not mistaken, what you guys are saying is we need to draft a defensive lineman that has some pass rush abilities and can kick inside and play the run in a 4-3. A swiss army knife defensive lineman.

Pass rush with junk in the trunk. Alright, I got'yuh ! That makes good scene.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
When we had Holmy, our O was a sophisticated scheme and when run well was pretty much unstoppable (except refs could stop it at will, of course). With Pete, we had whatever O would get us by and our D scheme was simple but ran with unique athletes who couldn't be stopped (except by rule changes, of course, along with the fact that unique athletes don't grow on trees). When we played the ravens last, post-game Pete marveled at the sophisticated D schemes that had our O powerless to do pretty much anything. I gotta say, I'm excited to see us (correctly) run a sophisticated D scheme now that we have the architect as head coach. I have a hunch some of our D players will turn out to be a lot better than they've shown in the previous iterations of Seahawks D... If we also end up with a good O scheme, that's just doubleplusgood!

cheese22

Reaction score
Here are some names to consider in this search.

Ruke Orhorhoro Clemson 6'4" 294
Kris Jenkins Michigan 6'3" 299
Branden Fiske Florida st. 6'5" 292
Darius Robinson Missouri 6'5"285

All these guys would be good foundation players in a Mike MacDonald defense.

Cheers
No doubt those guys would be great additions. But, off the top of my head, I remember Baltimore's NT's being goliath...as in 330+.
The guy that comes to mind immediately is Sweat from Texas. Any other names of huge NT's with some good mobility?

toffee

Reaction score
So, if I'm not mistaken, what you guys are saying is we need to draft a defensive lineman that has some pass rush abilities and can kick inside and play the run in a 4-3. A swiss army knife defensive lineman.

Pass rush with junk in the trunk. Alright, I got'yuh ! That makes good scene.
Pete Carroll tried and tried to sign or draft the second coming of Michael Bennett.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I look for the Hawks to be adding a true nose tackle through the draft. Reed is very good at it but adding true nose that can line up next Reed in short yardage situations or even goal line would be potent to have as an option.
I am not expecting a traditional 0/1 tech NT, a 3 tech with good movement skills will probably be targeted I have seen MM likes to do some zone blitz where the DL will drop into a short zone and rush a LB a NT can’t do that

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I would like to see both Murphy and Sweat on the Seahawks come draft day. Keep those two together.

chris98251

Reaction score
Here are some names to consider in this search.

Ruke Orhorhoro Clemson 6'4" 294
Kris Jenkins Michigan 6'3" 299
Branden Fiske Florida st. 6'5" 292
Darius Robinson Missouri 6'5"285

All these guys would be good foundation players in a Mike MacDonald defense.

Cheers
All too light, if you want a true NT you want him to be a granite wall 330 - 350 or so.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Pete Carroll tried and tried to sign or draft the second coming of Michael Bennett.
Instead they drafted this one guy in the third that was short and throws the ball around. So we had to change a few things and put him as a quarterback. Cable can only do so much...right???

chris98251

Reaction score
Well, chris.... I Haven't mention a NT in this thread, that was somebody else who was talking about a Nose tackle. Its ok though, I'd admit my mistakes,if I ever made one. LOL

Cheers
Well Foundation is usually concrete why I wanted to use Granite, all good reading and coming back and forth at work sometimes leaves egg on ones face.

Scout

Reaction score
Dremont Jones is the three tech and Reed can shift to three tech in a pinch if the team brings in another NT. Young and Morris are also in the mix but it is hard to say how they will look in Mac's scheme.

Now if the team wants to draft a three tech then I would say Brandon Fiske is a wrecking ball.

Edit: The team is signing Hankins to be that early down NT. Well that helps solve another piece of the puzzle too. Like I said you have Reed and D. Jones that can play three tech now on early downs and with Hankins as the NT.

Last edited:

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Dremont Jones is the three tech and Reed can shift to three tech in a pinch if the team brings in another NT. Young and Morris are also in the mix but it is hard to say how they will look in Mac's scheme.

Now if the team wants to draft a three tech then I would say Brandon Fiske is a wrecking ball.

Edit: The team is signing Hankins to be that early down NT. Well that helps solve another piece of the puzzle too. Like I said you have Reed and D. Jones that can play three tech now on early downs and with Hankins as the NT.
How we will use Young and Morris in 2024 is intriguing to me. We didn't see enough of them to get a good idea of what they are capable of last year, the year two improvement is typically significant for D-line, and Mike & Durde likely view them differently than Pete and Clint did.

toffee

Reaction score
How we will use Young and Morris in 2024 is intriguing to me. We didn't see enough of them to get a good idea of what they are capable of last year, the year two improvement is typically significant for D-line, and Mike & Durde likely view them differently than Pete and Clint did.
Morris played well before he was injured.

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
Adding a player with the abilities of a Robinson or Fiske would super charger our defensive line. Great foundation !

Cheers