Byron Maxwell

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
IMO Maxwell played very well last year after his return to Seattle. He doesn't give up many big plays, plays the ball and he's great tackler for a CB.

Really hope we bring him back on a fair 1 or 2 year deal.

original poster

Reaction score
What do you guys see his contract being at?

I’m thinking something starting with a 3 (per year), opinions?

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
original poster":96lwinoc said:

I think that's about right, Coleman got just under $3MM. I think with Maxwell's history and starting ability in our scheme you need to be just above the $3MM mark with some incentives tied to it that bring it up closer to $4MM.

I'm not much of a cap guy, though.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":9z4jkwpa said:
original poster":9z4jkwpa said:

I think that's about right, Coleman got just under $3MM. I think with Maxwell's history and starting ability in our scheme you need to be just above the $3MM mark with some incentives tied to it that bring it up closer to $4MM.

I think you are correct. Not a cap guy here either....just a cat guy. Meow...

he he hee :irishdrinkers:

original poster

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":3luyz7k7 said:
JGfromtheNW":3luyz7k7 said:
original poster":3luyz7k7 said:

I think you are correct. Not a cap guy here either....just a cat guy. Meow...

he he hee :irishdrinkers:

Cats and the cap, I can get on board with this.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Hmm, this delay is weird.

IMO, he'll sign with another team, get a large bonus, get cut, and we sign him...

Atradees

Reaction score
3 years 17 million.

We resign Thomas. Shaq takes another step forward. Coleman in the slot better than Lane.

We still have RW........and make the playoffs.

original poster

Reaction score
This is what’s throwing me.

I have my suspicions that $3M wouldn’t be enough for the starter at CB2 but I’d be uncomfortable paying him anything more than about $4.5M per.

I could see $2M for one year or $15M over 3 years. Really tough one to garage.

I’d bet my house he stays in Seattle, though.

Atradees

Reaction score
original poster":9gd4aptr said:

I have my suspicions that $3M wouldn’t be enough for the starter at CB2 but I’d be uncomfortable paying him anything more than about $4.5M per.

I could see the contract looking bigger than it pans out to be.........plays out two years

original poster

Reaction score
Atradees":3k6f7z71 said:
original poster":3k6f7z71 said:

I could see the contract looking bigger than it pans out to be.........plays out two years

Agreed if it’s anything over 2 years (which I find kinda unlikely).

If I absolutely had to guess I’d say 1 year $4M or 2 years $7.5-8M.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
I'm seeing basically nothing about free agency interest in Byron Maxwell, except possibly from the Seahawks. He's 30 years old and was cut by the Eagles and Dolphins. For the Seahawks, it's good that interest in Maxwell appears to be low because that means they should be able to re-sign him for a bargain contract. He has shown to be more valuable to the Seahawks than to other teams in the league.

Even when you include his play with the Dolphins last year (39.2 grade in two games), Maxwell was one of the Seahawks highest graded defenders last year (and our highest graded CB by PFF).
Byron Maxwell - 84.0
Richard Sherman - 82.7
Justin Coleman - 81.8
Shaquill Griffin - 77.2
Neiko Thorpe - 70.7

Aside from one bad game against the Jaguars, Maxwell had an impressive season. Then factor in that he had to re-learn and adjust to a new scheme, mid-season. His play only improved as time went on and he became more comfortable.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2iyubok8 said:
I'm seeing basically nothing about free agency interest in Byron Maxwell, except possibly from the Seahawks. He's 30 years old and was cut by the Eagles and Dolphins. For the Seahawks, it's good that interest in Maxwell appears to be low because that means they should be able to re-sign him for a bargain contract. He has shown to be more valuable to the Seahawks than to other teams in the league.

Even when you include his play with the Dolphins last year (39.2 grade in two games), Maxwell was one of the Seahawks highest graded defenders last year (and our highest graded CB by PFF).
Byron Maxwell - 84.0
Richard Sherman - 82.7
Justin Coleman - 81.8
Shaquill Griffin - 77.2
Neiko Thorpe - 70.7

Aside from one bad game against the Jaguars, Maxwell had an impressive season. Then factor in that he had to re-learn and adjust to a new scheme, mid-season. His play only improved as time went on and he became more comfortable.

Guys a solid tackler and a decent press corner. Some slips yes. Anyone been to some accountant classes? All business have a predicted money loss account. If that account isn't reached it is considered a plus for the company.

Max is going to have his mishaps but if his previous stint with the Hawks and last season says anything,,,,, his positives far outweigh his negatives and IMHO I don't think any other team will appreciate him like we do. Also, this is where he is going to play his best game. He should know this.

Hope that means a fair contract.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Walter Football (probably one of the worst sources of football evaluation) ranks Maxwell as the 32nd best free agent CB this year:

Byron Maxwell was a huge bust with the Eagles and Dolphins. Miami cut him, and so Maxwell returned to his home. He actually played well with the Seahawks in the second go around. He can probably stay motivated with a short-term "prove it" deal.
Read more: http://walterfootball.com/freeagents201 ... z5ApaE2QJK
http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2018CB.php

I wonder how much of the league views him this way. Some of the corners ranked ahead of him are a joke (*cough* Jeremy Lane *cough*).

original poster

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they've lowballed Maxwell with an offer around $2,000,000 and he's waiting it out.

Still think he does eventually go for it, though.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Multi-year would be nice. He wants the added security, and the Seahawks get a starting CB for relatively mid-level.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Maxie needs to be careful, the Acker visit causes me to think the team wants to fill the position and if he continues to dawdle he could find the team moving on from him.

sutz

Reaction score
jammerhawk":sph4s7tf said:
Maxie needs to be careful, the Acker visit causes me to think the team wants to fill the position and if he continues to dawdle he could find the team moving on from him.
SOP for the team. They always fill as many holes as possible before the draft. Actually, most teams do this.

Would be fine with Maxie hanging around, but we can't give him too much leverage.