Camp Highlight: Lockett burning Burley

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1bl4v2mz said:
JAGHAWK":1bl4v2mz said:
This kid is going to be special.

Can't wait to bump the thread on draft weekend when so many Seahawk fans were losing their minds at how bad a pick this was :lol:

YES!

Many will be eating their words. :179419:

Ozzy

Reaction score
We've had a few threads about our jumbo package with some of our big guys but I'm more excited about a Richardson, Lockett and Baldwin grouping too.

sutz

Reaction score
One of my favorite things...he catches with his hands. Reach out and take the ball out of the air. It seems like most of our WRs do that and I love it.

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
Seems as though you can't talk about a player in a positive light without people constantly reminding you who you should be MORE excited about. Lol

nanomoz

Reaction score
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Lockett ends up with more catches than anyone but Graham. I think Baldwin will get a lot more deep looks--and he'll excel at that, but Lockett is going to have so much real estate underneath to work with.

It's exciting. If the Hawks' passing efficiency and most-importantly, third down conversion rate, don't increase substantially, something is wrong.

Hawks46

Reaction score
mikeak":2d2b68jc said:
I think he is going to be special, but I also think Norwood, Richardson are really good players. I then think Graham is a fantastic addition.

I am curious to if Matthews had a great superbowl because he hadn't been scouted or because he is really that good.

If he is really that good then I am very very concerned in regards to the fact that he sat all year on the bench which brings me to the negative which is will all these good receivers be utilized properly and be given chances to show how good they are in the Seahawks offense with Bevell.

That is the $1m question..

The knock on Matthews is that he isn't a good route runner, or at least he wasn't. He was on the squad last year because of ST's. I'm not entirely why he was on the roster in the Superbowl, but not the rest of the playoffs. It's possible they looked at size mismatches for everyone but Browner, but it's not like GB has a lot of huge CBs.

Look at all of Matthews' catches in the Bowl, and they're all away from his body. Half the time he's changing direction to make the catch. He beats a couple of guys, but usually it's just a size issue.

There's a ton of 5'10" and 5'11" CBs in the NFL that he can and probably will abuse. If he gets some practice time, and starts making those catches in practice as well as getting some chemistry and timing with Wilson, I can see him improving a ton. I don't see him blowing the league open, but he's going to be getting 4-5 clutch catches a game, maybe 5 TD's, and some key 3rd down conversions when defenses key on Graham.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
jdemps":q832ijqw said:
With those moves, defenders better jam him or they'll get their ankles broken.
That will be the obvious approach for defenders against a skinny little wr. Richardson was never able to exploit his speed because of this last year. Jamming him gets him off his route and slows him down coming off the line. It's a question mark about Lockette until he gets into a game.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
mikeak":1nzgfshs said:
I think he is going to be special, but I also think Norwood, Richardson are really good players. I then think Graham is a fantastic addition.

I am curious to if Matthews had a great superbowl because he hadn't been scouted or because he is really that good.

If he is really that good then I am very very concerned in regards to the fact that he sat all year on the bench which brings me to the negative which is will all these good receivers be utilized properly and be given chances to show how good they are in the Seahawks offense with Bevell.

Norwood was hurt a lot of the year, so that didn't help him. Richardson was really developing into a good WR until the knee injury against the playoffs.. and Matthews I am more skeptical than anything since he dominated a 4th string corner that is 5-10.. once Browner slid over to his side, he was a non factor. Granted, very few corners in football have Browner's size to match up with Matthews, but he will very much be on the radar now.. so will be interesting to see how he looks. I would love to see him take Kearse's starting gig though. The thought of his size paired with Graham's and Baldwin/Lockett/Richardson working the outside on deep routes or underneath stuff makes me giddy.

However, the Bevell thing is also a real question mark with this offense as his passing tree seems horribly vanilla.

We shall see. On paper though, it looks like a very improved position from a year ago.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Hawks46":31ymtyu2 said:
The knock on Matthews is that he isn't a good route runner, or at least he wasn't. He was on the squad last year because of ST's. I'm not entirely why he was on the roster in the Superbowl, but not the rest of the playoffs. It's possible they looked at size mismatches for everyone but Browner, but it's not like GB has a lot of huge CBs.

Paul Richardson's injury basically opened up his roster spot.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":3vsj2fk2 said:
jdemps":3vsj2fk2 said:
With those moves, defenders better jam him or they'll get their ankles broken.
That will be the obvious approach for defenders against a skinny little wr. Richardson was never able to exploit his speed because of this last year. Jamming him gets him off his route and slows him down coming off the line. It's a question mark about Lockette until he gets into a game.

Watching both of these guys in college quite a bit, Lockett is miles ahead of Richardson on route running. And I know it's the Big XII.. but no one could stop him, even though he was the only threat in the passing game for Kansas State. He made a lot of highly touted corners in the conference look silly (Justin Gilbert, Jason Verrett to name a couple).

I think as Seahawk fans we have grown to basically believe every corner is big and physical when that's really not the case at all. Lockett is going to be a matchup nightmare more often than not.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":3rqe3idi said:
mikeak":3rqe3idi said:

Look at all of Matthews' catches in the Bowl, and they're all away from his body. Half the time he's changing direction to make the catch. He beats a couple of guys, but usually it's just a size issue.

There's a ton of 5'10" and 5'11" CBs in the NFL that he can and probably will abuse. If he gets some practice time, and starts making those catches in practice as well as getting some chemistry and timing with Wilson, I can see him improving a ton. I don't see him blowing the league open, but he's going to be getting 4-5 clutch catches a game, maybe 5 TD's, and some key 3rd down conversions when defenses key on Graham.

Averaging 4-5 catches a game is 64-80 catches for the season. That is would mean Matthews absolutely broke out this year. I think it is more likely he doesn't make the team than put up 50+ catches this season.

Wilson's avg 17.8 completions per game last year and was tops of his career. His career avg is 16.54 completions per game.

I see a catch ratio like this
Graham: 4.5-5.5 pg > 72-88 season
Baldwin: 3-4 pg > 48 -64 season
Kearse: 1.5-2.5 pg > 24-40 season
Lockett: 2-2.5 pg > 32-40 season
Lynch: 1.5-2 pg > 24-32 season
Willson: 1.25-1.75 pg > 20-28 season

Combination of players below: 2-3 catches per game > 32-48 for the season
+Norwood
+Richardson
+Matthews
+Lockett
+Turbin

That would put Wilson at 15.75 - 21.25 completions per game.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
The dude's been impressive so far. I really took notice when Doug Baldwin praised him for his route-running ability. You seldom hear of rooks praised for that; especially from the best route runner on the team. He went on to call him the 'total package.'

Can't wait to see more of this guy.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Wenhawk":21gw3ws8 said:
Hawks46":21gw3ws8 said:
mikeak":21gw3ws8 said:

Averaging 4-5 catches a game is 64-80 catches for the season. That is would mean Matthews absolutely broke out this year. I think it is more likely he doesn't make the team than put up 50+ catches this season.

Wilson's avg 17.8 completions per game last year and was tops of his career. His career avg is 16.54 completions per game.

I see a catch ratio like this
Graham: 4.5-5.5 pg > 72-88 season
Baldwin: 3-4 pg > 48 -64 season
Kearse: 1.5-2.5 pg > 24-40 season
Lockett: 2-2.5 pg > 32-40 season
Lynch: 1.5-2 pg > 24-32 season
Willson: 1.25-1.75 pg > 20-28 season

Combination of players below: 2-3 catches per game > 32-48 for the season
+Norwood
+Richardson
+Matthews
+Lockett
+Turbin

That would put Wilson at 15.75 - 21.25 completions per game.
Nice effort on breaking this down. I think Richardson plays a bigger role but probably safe to make sure he's healthy first.

Latest posts