Can Denver get back to Super Bowl 51?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Denver was in cap hell before this season and now has 17 FA's..I'm not sure how much dead money is on the cap coming up but they only have so much to play with,I don't see them making a run.

HawkGA

Reaction score
As with either conference, I would take the field versus a specific team. KC might be strong but otherwise I would think Denver is in good position to win their division again, which puts them in the game. I would say NE, Pitt, Cincy, and an outside chance of KC will make it pretty difficult for them though.

randomation

Reaction score
Oz is going to ask for 18 minimum or 10 on a one year deal he isn't going to sign a contract for cheap when there are teams that will give him that straight up like Cleveland.

Smellyman

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":17251mlx said:
Well something better change because you don't pay your quarterback 20+ million to not pass the ball at least 30 times a game. And that is all you need to be balanced. Pete wants that not a run heavy team and Wilson is ready for it and they've actually built the offense for it. Trust me.

~sigh~

He averaged 30 attempts a game last year, has set numberous qb records, is the most dynamic player in the league, rushes over 500 a year and wins games. I don't want any other qb in the league other than RW to lead a comeback. You pay RW because franchise qb's are rare and RW's talent is even more rare. Regardless of attempts per game. That is not nearly the only indicator of a qb

drdiags

Reaction score
Well they definitely have a Superbowl defense. They have decent offensive weapons and Osweiler won some games this past season so they should have some hope that if they re-sign him they can get competent NFL QB play.

Their competition:

AFC West

Raiders - Young team with upside, I think they need to first get to the playoffs
Chiefs - They seem pretty competitive but I am a doubter in them winning it all
Chargers - They have fallen off the past year or so.

AFC East

Jets - I am not a Fitzpatrick believer
Pats - Always a threat as long as Bill and Tom's excellent adventure is still going
Bills - So much promise, so little substance
Dolphins - Not seeing it

AFC North

Steelers - Their defense needs to step up, they have a potent enough offense.
Bengals - They are so undisciplined. Uber-talented but bad mental fortitude (except when playing the Seahawks)
Ravens - Was it just injuries that derailed them and can they make it back to their winning ways?
Browns - This franchise is damned.

AFC South

Texans - They need a QB, don't seem ready to win the AFC
Jags - No
Colts - They need an over-haul somewhere, maybe just a healthy Luck but seems they need more
Titans - Not ready

OP
OP
Greenhell

Greenhell

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1s14vnap said:
Greenhell":1s14vnap said:
Is Denver's front office as smart as JS/PC and can they keep their core together for another run?

I don't think "smarts" has anything to do with it. They just went on a two year "get back and win a Super Bowl now" binge and totally pulled it off. You can't criticize them for their strategy working, IMO.

I guess by "smarts" I meant constantly building for the future not in the short-term but in the long-term. And you're right, Denver built for the "get back to the Super Bowl". Denver fans will have to hang their hats on SB50 for another 18 years like they have for their back to back championships in '97 and '98. I'm ok with that.

OP
OP
Greenhell

Greenhell

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":fg1v9jbe said:
I don't think they're even the favorites in their own division, much less winning the conference.

Osweiler stinks and they have NO running game and their OL is actually a mess. The Broncos went all-in basically after the SB48 demolition and Elway got his ring. They'll be in the mix for playoff berths but don't see their Super Bowl window being very wide.

:th2thumbs:

chris98251

Reaction score
Largent80":2lore33z said:
Get back to the future?.... Only with a Delorean.

They are actually starting up the plant again, someone bought it and they are making I think 33 more cars.

NINEster

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2bzra924 said:
Greenhell":2bzra924 said:
We know the repercussions of winning a championship. Lots of guys wanting to get paid and many leave for the bigger payday. Denver has, I believe, 17 FA this year with Von Miller more than likely absorbing a huge chunk of money. Everyone know's he's got to be their offseason priority. Is Denver's front office as smart as JS/PC and can they keep their core together for another run?

I don't see it happening.
Sure they could. Not likely but possible. But winning it again? Not happening because Carolina, Green Bay and Seattle have what Denver will hoping Oswieller can be under long term contract no less, in the case of Green Bay and Seattle.

A word on Denver front office....

They should get credit for what they did. Going all in on Peyton, getting embarrassed by Seattle and when you thought they would give up or keep it status quo, they go all on in defense.

Sign every big name FA star under the sun and it all worked out.

They may go into cap hell or not, but in the end they got the Lombardi so it's ALL GOOD.

Imagine if Baalke went all in after the 2012 or even 2013 season.....went after some major offensive firepower.

It should have gotten the Niners over the hump.

What's the worst that would have happened? They lose all of their star players?

:mrgreen:

NINEster

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2j3f2ux7 said:
I don't think they're even the favorites in their own division, much less winning the conference.

Osweiler stinks and they have NO running game and their OL is actually a mess. The Broncos went all-in basically after the SB48 demolition and Elway got his ring. They'll be in the mix for playoff berths but don't see their Super Bowl window being very wide.

I see Denver as Seattle without the major running game.

No reason Osweiler couldn't be where Wilson was at his rookie year. Only knock on Osweiler is that he won't have the same magical luck that Wilson has (but in fairness that could be said about all QBs).

Hard to predict where Denver defense goes from here -- talent will be there but not sure those players will be playing with a vicious tenacity like Seattle does year in and year out. Pete really is the king of motivational speaking and hypnosis.

Smellyman

Reaction score
NINEster":3rl8zsxa said:
Hasselbeck":3rl8zsxa said:

I see Denver as Seattle without the major running game.

No reason Osweiler couldn't be where Wilson was at his rookie year. Only knock on Osweiler is that he won't have the same magical luck that Wilson has (but in fairness that could be said about all QBs).

Hard to predict where Denver defense goes from here -- talent will be there but not sure those players will be playing with a vicious tenacity like Seattle does year in and year out. Pete really is the king of motivational speaking and hypnosis.

It's not luck what RW does and Osweiler isn't passing for 26 tds next year (best ever by a rookie), rushing for 500 yards and a 100 passer rating. In fact almost nobody has put up RW numbers ever