Cap Casualty speculation

kidhawk

Reaction score
Cap is actually in pretty solid shape. After the Wilson/Wagner deals, the trade for Seisay, along with the $3 million added back in after McDaniels was cut, we have about $5.3 million in cap space left.

Currently the cut off salary at the top 51 is at $511,000. There are a few players (more than the 2 that would make the 53 man roster) currently below that who I can see making the team, meaning some people making more than that will have to be cut.

When you look ahead to next year, a lot of dead money comes off the books, plus the cap is likely to have a pretty good increase once again.

Any moves we see now, are more than likely football moves moreso than salary cap moves.

blkhwk

Reaction score
kidhawk":1y49af2w said:
Cap is actually in pretty solid shape. After the Wilson/Wagner deals, the trade for Seisay, along with the $3 million added back in after McDaniels was cut, we have about $5.3 million in cap space left.

Currently the cut off salary at the top 51 is at $511,000. There are a few players (more than the 2 that would make the 53 man roster) currently below that who I can see making the team, meaning some people making more than that will have to be cut.

When you look ahead to next year, a lot of dead money comes off the books, plus the cap is likely to have a pretty good increase once again.

Any moves we see now, are more than likely football moves moreso than salary cap moves.

Agree with this, with salary potentially being a tie breaker (at least at the WR spot)

olyfan63

Reaction score
rideaducati":1d1bwxp1 said:
kobebryant":1d1bwxp1 said:
My issue with cutting Kearse is that it is like cutting Robert Horry.

Sure he is a marginal starter, and you can find better, but that clutch gene is hard to duplicate and I would hate to see him make one of his typical massive plays against the Hawks in a big moment.

He's pretty good on special teams too.

Horry wasn't a starter which is why teams didn't want to pay him and let him go.

The Seahawks wouldn't need clutch catches if Kearse played better earlier in the game. I don't think Kearse would scare anyone on the LOB. Which team would Kearse play on where he would be given such an opportunity to make a play against the Seahawks? I don't think he is good enough to be a starter on many other teams in the league.

I find it hard to believe Kearse is as valuable as the contract he's getting, but I don't see why the Seahawks would do what they've done unless they really like the guy overall and plan to keep him. He does make great contributions on Special Teams as well. Then again, if WR's emerge, and Kearse doesn't outplay them, he'll be gone.

Sac

Reaction score
rideaducati":49t9dzbp said:
kobebryant":49t9dzbp said:
My issue with cutting Kearse is that it is like cutting Robert Horry.

Sure he is a marginal starter, and you can find better, but that clutch gene is hard to duplicate and I would hate to see him make one of his typical massive plays against the Hawks in a big moment.

He's pretty good on special teams too.

Horry wasn't a starter which is why teams didn't want to pay him and let him go.

The Seahawks wouldn't need clutch catches if Kearse played better earlier in the game. I don't think Kearse would scare anyone on the LOB. Which team would Kearse play on where he would be given such an opportunity to make a play against the Seahawks? I don't think he is good enough to be a starter on many other teams in the league.
He's not. maybe the Raiders#2?

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
rideaducati":1vtob8vh said:
Kearse is the next to go. Cutting him leaves zero dead money and gets $2,356,000 back to the cap.
Bingo.

I always said that with Kearse's increased salary he has a target on his back, and that the hawks were HOPING someone would step up and make him totally expendable.

$2.3m is a lot for a player who seems to drop more passes than he catches.

All of his "heroic" catches would've been unnecessary if he just caught the EASY PASSES that he dropped earlier in the game.

Kearse is the tebow of WRs: be the worst wr in the nfl for the first 3 quarters and then finally do something in the 4th quarter.

Kearse is addition by subtraction AND the team clears up cap space

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":3c7etli6 said:
rideaducati":3c7etli6 said:
Kearse is the next to go. Cutting him leaves zero dead money and gets $2,356,000 back to the cap.
Bingo.

I always said that with Kearse's increased salary he has a target on his back, and that the hawks were HOPING someone would step up and make him totally expendable.

$2.3m is a lot for a player who seems to drop more passes than he catches.

All of his "heroic" catches would've been unnecessary if he just caught the EASY PASSES that he dropped earlier in the game.

Kearse is the tebow of WRs: be the worst wr in the nfl for the first 3 quarters and then finally do something in the 4th quarter.

Kearse is addition by subtraction AND the team clears up cap space
Agreed.

Right now, he's an insurance policy that Seattle doesn't have start paying premiums on until September 5th, which is when the cut-down to 53 has to be made.

The insurance policy I'm referring to is related to the development and health of Tyler Lockett, Chris Matthews, Kevin Norwood and or Douglas McNeil.

netskier

Reaction score
I want all four of those guys, plus Baldwin, plus two more to be determined later.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Kearse ain't going anywhere. I have no reason or stats to back it up, I think he was one of Pete's favorite WR's outside of Baldwin before Chris Matthews. I just don't think Kearse will go anywhere anytime soon.

netskier

Reaction score
Some reasons to keep Kearse.

1. Russell has high confidence in him, decreasing processing time to decide to throw the ball.

2. Unbelievable ability to make the big play.

3. Pete loves explosive plays, contributing to toxic differential.

drdiags

Reaction score
They probably are planning to sign Kearse to an amended contract like they did with Jeron Johnson the year they gave him a similar tender. We will see

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I expect they'll keep Kearse for 2015.

Going forward, it'll depend on Richardson's rehab. I fully expect it'll be Baldwin/Lockett/Richardson as our top 3. No room to pay the 4th WR in the 3m range.

Seattle is just thin on experienced WR talent. Kearse has experience and is also very versatile. Not sure there's much in the way of cap space need at this point. Next year however, I expect there to be some significant trimming.