Capping off a disappointing draft

TruHawkFan9.0

Reaction score
I for one like this draft, Brooks (stud) & Taylor will contribute this season. I think the DE out of Syracuse will end up being a steal. if you include Quinton Dunbar in this draft as one of our 5th rd selections we really hit on addressing the defense.

D Lewis out of LSU will for sure get some rotation when/if Fluker or Iupati go down for a few games with injuries this season and be a great starter moving forward. 6'7 TE to learn behind Olsen and be there if he or Dissly get banged up. Great red zone match ups with he and DK on the field. Still think we're cutting some people and adding a veteran edge. Really happy with where we are.

Only thing I wanted to see that we didn't do was take one of the stud WR to compete for the 3rd spot with Dorsett.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
sdog1981":2ymvjvjr said:
I get it, man, I used to be way into all the predraft staff and Tim Ruskell would knock it out of the park every April. However, every January these surefire mock draft superstars from big schools turned out were not good at the NFL level.

Then PC/JS showed up and I had no clue who these dudes they were drafting were.

6'3" corner that was a converted WR? Who the hell is that?
Some run-stuffing safety for Va Tech? Why?
A Utah State middle linebacker over a Pac-12 middle linebacker?
Who is this midget QB that was run out of NC State for a 6'5" stud QB?
Why are they bringing in all these UDFA guys? Must be camp fodder to keep TO and Kellen Winslow fresh

Trust in what they are doing, they are finding players who can play football at the NFL level. Sometimes that means the guys have to have qualities that don't show up on Saturdays. Sometimes the guys that got $h!t on at the NCAA level are the players that make the biggest jump in the NFL.

The draft is not some exact science, no matter what you read on PFF, Mel Kipper or ESPN. At the end of the day it is just a guess.

^this
All we have to remember is that draft pundits (the ones not employed by the NFL, who make a living doing mock drafts) have the 2012 Seahawks draft an F. Add in a few years earlier the “Aaron Curry the only cant miss prospect in the draft” hype and maybe just maybe we can all learn to trust the process and wait until we see them compete on the field before judging draft acumen.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
If you get 3 guys who turn out to be solid you usually did good. In that context this class has a shot. Beyond that I think a lot of guys posting here ODed on the koolade. Hopefully someone from pick 4 and down can be another rabbit outta the hat trick.
In terms of team progress it appears we lost significant ground to 2 teams in our own division. That's not good when most of your wins last season were based on most being last second few point comeback or goal line defensive stand wins vs lower tier teams.

seabowl

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":sv52bhrv said:
sdog1981":sv52bhrv said:
I get it, man, I used to be way into all the predraft staff and Tim Ruskell would knock it out of the park every April. However, every January these surefire mock draft superstars from big schools turned out were not good at the NFL level.

Then PC/JS showed up and I had no clue who these dudes they were drafting were.

6'3" corner that was a converted WR? Who the hell is that?
Some run-stuffing safety for Va Tech? Why?
A Utah State middle linebacker over a Pac-12 middle linebacker?
Who is this midget QB that was run out of NC State for a 6'5" stud QB?
Why are they bringing in all these UDFA guys? Must be camp fodder to keep TO and Kellen Winslow fresh

Trust in what they are doing, they are finding players who can play football at the NFL level. Sometimes that means the guys have to have qualities that don't show up on Saturdays. Sometimes the guys that got $h!t on at the NCAA level are the players that make the biggest jump in the NFL.

The draft is not some exact science, no matter what you read on PFF, Mel Kipper or ESPN. At the end of the day it is just a guess.

^this
All we have to remember is that draft pundits (the ones not employed by the NFL, who make a living doing mock drafts) have the 2012 Seahawks draft an F. Add in a few years earlier the “Aaron Curry the only cant miss prospect in the draft” hype and maybe just maybe we can all learn to trust the process and wait until we see them compete on the field before judging draft acumen.

Yes their draft philosophy is different than most but Collier, Penny, McDowell and Ifedi do not instill a lot of confidence. Four years in a row their first picks have yet do live up to where they were drafted.

Chapow

Reaction score
vonstout":2vinwvk4 said:
My point is giving up a 6th rounder next year for a 6th TE that at best will be a 3rd TE doesn’t make much sense. 7th roundpicks don’t make many rosters and if they do, it doesn’t say much for our roster depth.

The same can be said for 6th round draft picks. Especially late 6th round draft picks. So using a future 6th round pick to take a guy they wanted doesn't bother me in the slightest.

And it will be quite easy for them to pick up another 6th round pick in next years draft if that's what they want to do. Those very late round picks have a very low value.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Dude Ifedi was drafted at the tail end of the first and started for 4 years. That's a huge success. Sorry every picks not gonna be a hall of famer

Tusc2000

Reaction score
gowazzu02":1rea6b76 said:
Dude Ifedi was drafted at the tail end of the first and started for 4 years. That's a huge success. Sorry every picks not gonna be a hall of famer

I would never call Ifedi a huge success. He started because we had no one else.

Wartooth

Reaction score
A lot of the problem the last few years has been depth behind the starters...
We had that those two years we made the bowl... But, not since.
I feel they may have regained some depth with this draft...
We'll just have to wait and see.

HawkGA

Reaction score
AgentDib":2tfd5asr said:
I suspect your opinion could change significantly at TE and G depending on how the rest of the off-season plays out. The quantity we have is mostly non-guaranteed contracts who are there to compete but are nowhere near being locks to make the roster.

TE
- TE1: Dissly has 2 years remaining and has not stayed healthy yet
- TE2: Olsen is 35 years old and on a one year deal
- TE3: Hollister's money is not guaranteed and we save $3.3m if we cut him
- TE4: Willson's money is unknown but likely not guaranteed either
- TE5: Johnson looks like a camp body.

OG
- Fluker's one year remaining has only 500k guaranteed
- Iupati's one year deal us unknown but likely has few guarantees
- Warmack's one year deal has zero guarantees
- Haynes has three years left on a cheap deal
- Knox has two years left on a cheap deal
- Pocic has one year remaining on a cheap deal
- Roos has one year remaining on a cheap deal
- McKenzie has one year remaining on a cheap deal

I largely get what you are saying here, but there is an opportunity cost with these picks. Picking another guard necessarily meant not picking a tackle. Even if we upgrade the guard position, where does that leave the tackle position? Same thing with the tight ends. If they were already OK at tight end, how much of an upgrade are they really getting? What are they giving up by not stocking the OT part of the roster?

Not complaining really, just concerns. I think the interior is stacked with people, not all of whom are going to make the team simply because of numbers. I was hoping Britt was going to get traded during the draft, but now I'm guessing there's no way they don't cut him to free up some money. There are just too many bodies there.

And I generally like the approach of throwing a bunch of bodies at a position and letting the competition sort itself out. I just don't think TE and interior line are the places the Hawks really needed to be doing that. They needed to do it at OT.

KinesProf

Reaction score
vonstout":3ekrkowb said:
Sports Hernia":3ekrkowb said:
The competition at WR and TE will be fierce. They are going to cut a couple of good WR’s by the end of preseason.

I agree for TE. Not sure what you are talking about at WR. Other than Lockett, Metcalf, and Phillips, we don’t have anyone who is viable starter.

Dorsett will be in the mix as well. Likely WR3.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
Seriously, people who say draft picks aren't going to pan out, one day after the draft is finished, just goes to show how young and silly some of us are.

I'm willing to be disappointed...but I'm also willing to allow the professional coaching staff and front office folks to do their jobs by putting athletes in the spots they feel they can excel. I'm also willing to wait and see how well these young men will turn out.

Every single football player drafted the past three days has the ability to play the game.

Fandom really disappoints me sometimes.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Note that Fluker is just the first on my list to be released and he won't be the last. We have a full roster but the bulk is made up of players with little in the way of guaranteed money. Quantity won't deter them from adding to the competition.

Latest posts