Cary Williams a Seahawk (It's Official)

Scottemojo

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":yynnl5wo said:
Simon was pretty brutal in the playoffs. Hope he gets it, and real quick.
Simon was playing hurt. The guy has as much if not way more natural ability than Williams.

Willyeye

Reaction score
Basis4day":37dj0hb4 said:
I don't care what he ranks on PFF, he was embarrassed in front of 120 million people in the SB........thus the scramble to sign Williams, and I'd guess draft at least another two corners this year.

Simon has not proven he can be depended on as a starting CB on this team, period.

Simon started 5 games in the regular season last year, and given that he was a red-shirt rookie, he actually held his own. Regardless of PFF rankings, Simon was playing with a severely torn labrum in his shoulder, and it's hardly fair to have expected him to kill it in the SB...that's on whoever kept Simon on the active roster.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I believe Simon was active over Burley due to the possibility of having to sub for an already injured Sherman.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Tharold Simon just entered his age 24 season. He was red-shirted his rookie season due to a foot injury but most likely a prospect stash due to a deep roster.

He played well in his 2nd season given previous experience. Remember, he was considered a little raw and a project much like a fellow LSU CB in Jalen Collins but maybe not as athletically talented.

But Simons regular season performance was more than solid up until the aforementioned Shoulder injury.

To judge him on his Post-Season performance is like judging Kam's performance in weeks 2-8 of 2014 when he was playing hobbled.

Benjamin was a tough assignment because Simon couldn't press and be physical due to his injury.

Eldemen was an even tougher assignment, because of Brady and Edelman gives DBs fits with his quickness and shiftiness. And the coaching staff probably prepared Simon to replace Sherman at LCB more so than Maxwell at RCB.

And Eldeman got away with some ticky-tack crap that negated some plays Simon could have made.

Its rather dumb to judge a young injured player on a couple of performances and then turn a blind eye to the totality of his whole performance throughout the season.

Which shows Simon having capable starter ability but his a player still raw around the edges.

I consider Williams more of a safety net to the CB position in whole rather a direct transactation to Simon. Obviously they want Simon to compete but they wanted to strengthen the CB unit in whole knowing Maxwell was a goner and Lane was going to miss most of the season.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
DavidSeven":kyy67o8x said:
Williams can be released next year and save them $4M+ if it doesn't work out.

I'm debating the signing itself though, meaning it wouldn't save them 4 million to cut him after next year, it would cost them 2.3 million in dead money to cut him after nexy year. The CHEAPEST way they have Cary Williams would be 1 year for 7 million (1 year for 4.6 and the next year with 2.3 in dead money).

I mean, don't get me wrong, I think he'll be fine in the system and probably even play reasonably well, I just think that's true of a lot of people who 1) have more long-term potential, 2) would have come cheaper, and 3) are no less marginal talents than Cary Williams.

TBF part of it too is that Williams has a reputation as a "personality", and for being maddeningly inconsistent. There's definitely some d-list shades of Percy Harvin to him.

I just thought there were better options, and the signing surprised me. That doesn't mean I think it won't work out well enough. ;)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3nzk0nno said:
DavidSeven":3nzk0nno said:
Williams can be released next year and save them $4M+ if it doesn't work out.

I'm debating the signing itself though, meaning it wouldn't save them 4 million to cut him after next year, it would cost them 2.3 million in dead money to cut him after nexy year. The CHEAPEST way they have Cary Williams would be 1 year for 7 million (1 year for 4.6 and the next year with 2.3 in dead money).

I mean, don't get me wrong, I think he'll be fine in the system and probably even play reasonably well, I just think that's true of a lot of people who 1) have more long-term potential, 2) would have come cheaper, and 3) are no less marginal talents than Cary Williams.

TBF part of it too is that Williams has a reputation as a "personality", and for being maddeningly inconsistent. There's definitely some d-list shades of Percy Harvin to him.

I just thought there were better options, and the signing surprised me. That doesn't mean I think it won't work out well enough. ;)

Who were the better options (asking because I don't know)

Largent80

Reaction score
If there were better options and they didn't get signed it only means that the staff didn't think they were better options.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Largent80":12foeizg said:
If there were better options and they didn't get signed it only means that the staff didn't think they were better options.

ummm, well, obviously. I wasn't making a comment on what they think, I was making a comment about what I think. :)

It's only noteworthy to me because I tend to think I have a pretty good read on what they're doing and why they're doing it, whereas the Williams signing was a bit of a head scratcher for me.

This could also be because I've always thought of P.C. as more of a fox, whereas he might be a hedgehog. (I can go into detail about my thinking here if you care).

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1qs06n9b said:

There were 28 FA CBs this year (I didn't include Maxwell) who graded out better than Williams last year. It's not like Williams had a particularly down year last year, either. He's 30 years old. He is who he is.

Just to throw one familiar name out there, as you can be pretty confident that he could perform in the system (although I think practically any of these guys could perfrom as well as Williams in the system): For half the price of Cary Williams they could have brought back Thurmond.

Largent80

Reaction score
Thurmond is pretty good WHEN HEALTHY. Most of his career with the Hawks was spent not playing because of his health. Then he goes to the Giants, and continued that trend. I'm pretty sure the Giants would have re signed him if not for those concerns.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Popeyejones":jn0frds7 said:
Uncle Si":jn0frds7 said:

There were 28 FA CBs this year (I didn't include Maxwell) who graded out better than Williams last year. It's not like Williams had a particularly down year last year, either. He's 30 years old. He is who he is.

Just to throw one familiar name out there, as you can be pretty confident that he could perform in the system (although I think practically any of these guys could perfrom as well as Williams in the system): For half the price of Cary Williams they could have brought back Thurmond.

And they didn't, and he was a former Hawk, so that tells you what you need to know. He's also been injured like crazy throughout his career and injuries are a reason why CB was a need for SEA anyways. SEA's FO isn't perfect, but they've been producing top DB's since day one and if they believe Cary is the guy, then that's good enough for me.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Largent80":26pti7lu said:
Thurmond is pretty good WHEN HEALTHY. Most of his career with the Hawks was spent not playing because of his health. Then he goes to the Giants, and continued that trend. I'm pretty sure the Giants would have re signed him if not for those concerns.

Was just throwing a name out. There are no shortages of names.

Heck, if they had just waited for the market to cool off a bit they could have gotten Sterling Moore -- who on top of being a much superior player is also five years younger, doesn't draw penalties that drive d-coordinators crazy, and doesn't have a reputation as a locker room problem -- for a quarter of the price that they paid for Williams.

There really are a ton of names to throw out there of players who are better than Williams, have more upside than Williams, and were paid less than Williams.

I still think he'll be fine in the Hawks D, but again, it's just one of the (relatively infrequent) instances in which J.S./P.C. did something that I really thought was a head scratcher.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":qytd5a1k said:
SEA's FO isn't perfect, but they've been producing top DB's since day one and if they believe Cary is the guy, then that's good enough for me.

Yeah, that "they've been producing top DB's since day one" is one of the many reasons that I find over-paying for an old and maddeningly inconsistent Cary Williams to be a head scratcher.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Popeyejones":9iy33shx said:
dontbelikethat":9iy33shx said:
SEA's FO isn't perfect, but they've been producing top DB's since day one and if they believe Cary is the guy, then that's good enough for me.

Yeah, that "they've been producing top DB's since day one" is one of the many reasons that I find over-paying for an old and maddeningly inconsistent Cary Williams to be a head scratcher.

We can just agree to disagree, simple as that. Like you said, he'll probably still succeed and this team will still be in the Superbowl hunt. You win some and lose some with PC&JS, but with what they've done and what they will do, they already have a Superbowl ring to show for it.

EDIT: Pretty sure another factor is that Cary Williams also doesn't account towards the comp system since he was cut from the Eagles. Getting that 3rd rounder for Maxwell is going to be important.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ No need to beat dead horses, but I agree with everything you just wrote. That's three more reasons right there that I question the wisdom of this particular signing. :lol:

(okay, I'm just having fun at this point. I'm officially dropping it. ;) )

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2yjrqfxk said:
dontbelikethat":2yjrqfxk said:

But they had to get a free agent DB with Lane's injury, and Simon's rehab/inconsistent play.........and Williams was the closest player to their budget and height/length.

So yeah, you're right, Williams is just an average NFL DB. Which is why he's just a band aid until the LOB gets healthy and hopefully we draft a couple more DB's to develop.

Personally I'm not worried about Williams, Carroll and Richard are two of the best DB minds in the NFL, I have no doubt they'll get Williams up to speed on our system to play just fine in the LOB.