Chip Kelly OC talk again

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Just hire somebody already we already know Macdonald won't micromanage whoever it is. If we go with Chip at least he's done it before and won't be the head coach so it should be okay.

CactusJack

Reaction score
His fast paced offense killed his defense in the pros. No thanks.
Chip has adjusted. He doesn't coach at that pace anymore.

I do think he would make a much better OC & play caller than HC. A role in which he can just focus on his side of the ball. Some of the stuff that he does is pretty top notch, as far as play designs. Scheming guys open, etc.

One real positive with him, is that he could really unlock Charbonnet. Who thrived in his offense. Walker could really take off too, I think.

toffee

Reaction score
Chip has adjusted. He doesn't coach at that pace anymore.

I do think he would make a much better OC & play caller than HC. A role in which he can just focus on his side of the ball. Some of the stuff that he does is pretty top notch, as far as play designs. Scheming guys open, etc.

One real positive with him, is that he could really unlock Charbonnet. Who thrived in his offense. Walker could really take off too, I think.
and Bobo

bileever

Reaction score
Chip Kelly is an interesting character. He had a lot of success early in his career, as an offensive coordinator at New Hampshire then at Oregon before becoming HC at Oregon. He even made a splash when he first got to the NFL, but after his first couple of years in Philly, his career has been on a slight decline. There was the disastrous year with the 49ers followed by some mediocre years at UCLA.

His team at the University of New Hampshire set all kinds of offensive records, and his Oregon teams were pretty impressive, too. But those teams relied on the running QB, and unless you have Lamar Jackson, that won't really fly in the NFL.

He's creative and smart, and maybe he can come up with something new. But he's 60 years old, and even though that's not old, I wonder if he's past the point where he's coming up with new schemes.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I'm cool with Kelly. It sounds like an embarrassing and humorously bad hire on the face of things, but Chip's offense ain't the "HAHA, GO REALLY FAST! HAHA! GO GO GO!" type thang anymore. UCLA can pound the rock.

He's proven to have adapted. I'd be on board.

Less likely to be hired away if our offense takes off being a retread and all too

toffee

Reaction score
I like to think that at his age, Chip may be better as an OC than HC?

lukerguy

Reaction score
The only knock on hiring a DC specialized head coach was the continuity with the QB once the offense has success. However, it would be hard to believe an NFL GM/Owner would give Chip another shot as HC.. So, it could be a really nice hire from the perspective as well.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
I'm cool with Kelly. It sounds like an embarrassing and humorously bad hire on the face of things, but Chip's offense ain't the "HAHA, GO REALLY FAST! HAHA! GO GO GO!" type thang anymore. UCLA can pound the rock.

He's proven to have adapted. I'd be on board.

Less likely to be hired away if our offense takes off being a retread and all too
Being a casual College fan at best, this was my question. If he’s shown he can change it up at UCLA then I feel a lot better about him at OC.

As others have said, not likely he’d attract future HC jobs (in what would be his mid 60s) by the time our offense is a proven commodity. Not to mention he’s already made plenty of money and would probably enjoy a simpler job description.