Chip Kelly.

Marvin49

Reaction score
NINEster":jijgeqrd said:
Got an alert tweet from Rapaport that Kelly and staff are safe and Baalke's job not safe.

Word around the league is that it's 49er personnel not coaching that's the issue. At least on offense...defense probably 50/50.

My only issues with Kelly long term are two fold:

a) Everything under center - not a huge fan of that
b) Guys like Carroll & Fangio might have his offense's number.

Stuff regarding too many defensive snaps, etc. might be a concern for winning playoff games but it surely isn't making the 49ers defense this bad on its own.

With regards to offense it made me think..."what is the most ideal offense to run?", and I think the answer is the offense that has the ability to consistently move the ball 50/50 air or ground, with some level of explosiveness. That's why I like Shanahan's offense the most typically, because it seems to strive for that more than most other offenses.

Relying solely on strategic concepts and limiting what you can do by eliminating being under center, I think offers a limitation that will prove difficult to overcome on the championship NFL level.

I wonder if there was an established NFL OC that could look to incorporate elements of the Kelly offense (i.e. a few of their plays) and then just use it sporadically as spice, like the Wildcat use to be employed.

Like if Kap went to the Broncos under Kubiak's system but they employed Kelly's stuff here and there......or Bevell running some Kelly concepts.....

I think there's a happy medium to what he does.

Honestly I think the effects of Chips fast pace on the Niner D is overblown. In reality he has slowed down the pace significantly this season.

The problem with the O is that they suck at WR and the QB is all over the place from one week to the next.

6 teams have had over 800 plays on D. KC has actually played MORE down on D. The bigger problem is that they are ALSO ranked 29th in Yards Per Play on D.

Bad combo.

They were completely unable to stop the run for weeks on end and that started from the opening of the game. Not late.

While the pace gets the blame, I think offensive ineptitude is a larger reason why the D had been on the field so much. Last I'd checked they led the league in 3 and outs. I'm not sure what the current numbers are on that tho.

SeaChat

Reaction score
I sure hope not, I haven't forgotten his passionate speech to his Ducks when he got back from his first round of NFL team interviews and didn't get an offer.

Once he was convinced that he was not going to get picked up by an NFL team, he told all his Duck's that he wasn't seriously thinking about leaving them and taking a position in the NFL, he was just testing the waters.

He went on to tell them all how much loved and cared about them, how his heart was with the University of Oregon Duck's and he was committed to them for the long haul.

Then a couple of days later, he announced that the Eagles had offered him a position and didn't let the door hit him in the ass on his way out of Eugene, Oregon and his beloved Ducks.

I think what Chip Kelly showed the world was that not only was he incompetent as an NFL coach, but that his success with the Ducks was due to the coaching staff under him and the recruiting efforts of the University in furnishing him with some of the greatest talents in the country.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1zwrn6q9 said:
Popeyejones":1zwrn6q9 said:
As for the 9ers, they're still paying Tomsula for the next two years ( :lol:) on top of Chip for another three ( :lol: ), and I seriously don't think the team is anywhere close to talented enough to justify paying for three head coaches at once in an effort at a quick fix.

Yep, Chip won't leave or get fired. He has essentially three years of job security in the NFL.

Jed is not going to spend the money to buy Chip out of his contract. He had to grit his teeth to do that for Tomsula. He let Harbaugh walk over a few million dollars.

Unless Chip really wants to get out of football altogether and tells Jed to keep his money, he is going to be the 49ers coach for the foreseeable future.
That wasn't about money. That was about Harbaugh pissing off Jed from the beginning: asking to chew tobacco during his first job interview with Jed... blowing Jed off for the stadium ribbon cutting ceremony (showing up late and in practice attire rather than a suit), demanding higher salaries for his assistants, being a general autist in a button downed, conservative youth movement office culture, etc.

pacific101":1zwrn6q9 said:
I sure hope not, I haven't forgotten his passionate speech to his Ducks when he got back from his first round of NFL team interviews and didn't get an offer.

Once he was convinced that he was not going to get picked up by an NFL team, he told all his Duck's that he wasn't seriously thinking about leaving them and taking a position in the NFL, he was just testing the waters.

He went on to tell them all how much loved and cared about them, how his heart was with the University of Oregon Duck's and he was committed to them for the long haul.

Then a couple of days later, he announced that the Eagles had offered him a position and didn't let the door hit him in the ass on his way out of Eugene, Oregon and his beloved Ducks.

I think what Chip Kelly showed the world was that not only was he incompetent as an NFL coach, but that his success with the Ducks was due to the coaching staff under him and the recruiting efforts of the University in furnishing him with some of the greatest talents in the country.
That would explain why his former offensive coordinator just got fired from the Oregon Head Coach job...

NINEster

Reaction score
Part of the problem here is separating Kelly the coach between Kelly the OC.....he's more attached perception wise to being an OC than any other HC is to being an OC/DC......

While it's still early on Chip to judge him overall, perhaps he's another Norv Turner or Wade Phillips type who knows his s*** but can't galvanize men and/or be a good manager. Nothing wrong with that, just a question if whether he's ok with that on the NFL level.

Being a great HC is more than just knowing Xs and Os. Sure you have guys like Bill Walsh, Bill Belichick, Pete Caroll who happen to be excellent at both but we've seen time and time again that you need that x-factor (whatever that is) to be a good coach.

Jim Harbaugh is a unique guy in that I don't think he could be anything but an HC........what role could he have besides QB coach maybe? Certainly not OC, lololol.

If Kelly took over the LA Rams.....that would have been a better opportunity for him to showcase whether he was a good coach or not.