Chris Matthews needs to see some game time

marko358

Reaction score
Not sure why so many of you are playing hardball with Chris Matthews.

Don't forget to tip your servers.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1ytqnkns said:
Hendo66":1ytqnkns said:
Should be 6 total receptions. (Last play SB).
Dude is just a better WR than RL. Get his ass in the game.

After NE shifted Browner to Matthews he didn't catch another pass.

How many teams have a Browner to put on him? Matthews had Browned beat a couple times and Russ didn't get him the ball.

rideaducati

Reaction score
bmorepunk":3tft1lbt said:
DavidSeven":3tft1lbt said:
Lockette only played 5 snaps.

This isn't Lockette vs. Matthews. If you want Matthews to play more, you have to take one of the starters off the field.[/quote

Agreed, the anger is directed at the wrong player. The usual hate train should be Kearse directed, not Lockette directed. Unless you're mad at the other Lockett, who was the only player not named Kearse or Baldwin to get a decent number of snaps.

Code:
Player	Team	Position	Started	Total Snaps	Off Snaps	Off Snap Pct	Def Snaps	Def Snap Pct	ST Snaps	ST Snap Pct
11-B.Daniels	SEA	WR	NO	0	0	0.0%	0	0.0%	0	0.0%
13-C.Matthews	SEA	WR	NO	7	3	4.0%	0	0.0%	4	12.0%
15-J.Kearse	SEA	WR	YES	80	76	92.0%	0	0.0%	4	12.0%
16-T.Lockett	SEA	WR	NO	68	58	70.0%	0	0.0%	10	30.0%
83-R.Lockette	SEA	WR	NO	14	5	6.0%	0	0.0%	9	27.0%
89-D.Baldwin	SEA	WR	YES	78	77	93.0%	0	0.0%	1	3.0%

A lot less Kearse wouldn't disappoint me. With the O-line being what it is right now, having Matthews open immediately seems like it would be better than waiting for Kearse to get open.

netskier

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":yxi782bc said:
Hendo66":yxi782bc said:

This is false. He caught exactly one pass for nine yards against Browner in the Superbowl. Here is some evidence: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks ... r-in-2015/

Here is a partial quote from the article:

Wilson had completed just one pass through the first 25 minutes against New England before he threw a jump ball up for the 6-foot-5 Matthews in the second quarter. Matthews walled off Patriots 5-10 cornerback Kyle Arrington for a 44-yard catch that set up Seattle’s first score.

With 6 seconds to go in the half, Wilson threw another high pass that Matthews twisted to catch just inside the goal line. That tied the Super Bowl at 14.

After Wilson threw another jump ball Matthews easily brought down over the top of 5-10 Devin McCourty on the first drive of the third quarter to set up Seattle’s go-ahead field goal, New England’s tall, rugged defensive back Brandon Browner convinced his coaches to move him to covering Matthews. Matthews had one catch for 9 yards over the final 28 minutes.

So the moral of the Super Bowl seemed to be: As long as he isn’t being defended by 6-4 maulers, Matthews could have a prominent place in the Seahawks’ offense in 2015.

“I’m not surprised. He’d shown the ability to do that all season. He just never got the opportunities,” said teammate Doug Baldwin, the Seahawks’ No. 1 receiver heading into this offseason. “He’s going to be a part of it moving forward. Looking forward to everything he can add to our receiving corps and everything in getting better.”

Matthews said he could have been doing that all season. But the Seahawks waived him among their final cuts on Aug. 30. They signed him to their practice squad, but released him from it on Sept. 3, the day before the opener. They signed him back to the practice squad Oct. 29, released him from it Nov. 4 and signed him back to the practice squad again Nov. 18 before the promotion to the active roster Dec. 6.

“I feel like I could have done that. but it’s not up to me. It’s up to the coaches. They felt like I wasn’t ready at that time,” Matthews said. “There was nothing I could do about it.

End of quote from article.

So here is my question: how tall were the Rams's defensive backs in the game last week? Am I the only one who has noticed a huge missed opportunity last week?

If the Rams draped Jimmy with defenders last week, then what could the defenders have done with Matthews also competing for defensive backs? Tall receivers are open at the LOS for high passes the moment the play starts. Even Tyler Lockett takes about 1.5 seconds to get open, which means that Mathews is open for a high pass 1.5 seconds before Tyler Lockett, and so is Jimmy Graham. Ricardo Lockette is six foot two, and can run a 4.3 forty. What are the chances that he can not jump high, and has never rebounded in basketball?

I propose that the coaches design a tall receivers set designed to crush the pass rush. Deploy Graham, Matthews, and Ricardo Lockette to go five yards deep, turn around, and prepare to rebound a high pass. No NFL team has the height resources in the defensive backs to counter this. They need to deploy three tall defensive backs to defend these three tall quick receivers. Toss in Tyler Lockett running quick routes in there, and the defense needs quick defensive backs to stop him. No team in the NFL has lots of defensive backs who are both tall and lightning quick.

Dink and dunk all the way to the end zone defeating great pass rushes with tall receivers. We win the games.

I only wish the coaches would consider something like this. The idea of using just ONE tall receiver when you have THREE is (trying to be kind here) just, ......, unimaginative. Criminally unimaginative.

mrblitz

Reaction score
with vertsep (vertical separation), even when matthews is 'covered', he's actually open. russ should be throwing post-up/alley-oop passes to matthews and graham, all day long.

Laloosh

Reaction score
netskier":3qrnyh6u said:
Hawkstorian":3qrnyh6u said:
Hendo66":3qrnyh6u said:

This is false. He caught exactly one pass for nine yards against Browner in the Superbowl. Here is some evidence: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks ... r-in-2015/

Wilson had completed just one pass through the first 25 minutes against New England before he threw a jump ball up for the 6-foot-5 Matthews in the second quarter. Matthews walled off Patriots 5-10 cornerback Kyle Arrington for a 44-yard catch that set up Seattle’s first score.

With 6 seconds to go in the half, Wilson threw another high pass that Matthews twisted to catch just inside the goal line. That tied the Super Bowl at 14.

After Wilson threw another jump ball Matthews easily brought down over the top of 5-10 Devin McCourty on the first drive of the third quarter to set up Seattle’s go-ahead field goal, New England’s tall, rugged defensive back Brandon Browner convinced his coaches to move him to covering Matthews. Matthews had one catch for 9 yards over the final 28 minutes.

So the moral of the Super Bowl seemed to be: As long as he isn’t being defended by 6-4 maulers, Matthews could have a prominent place in the Seahawks’ offense in 2015.

“I’m not surprised. He’d shown the ability to do that all season. He just never got the opportunities,” said teammate Doug Baldwin, the Seahawks’ No. 1 receiver heading into this offseason. “He’s going to be a part of it moving forward. Looking forward to everything he can add to our receiving corps and everything in getting better.”

Matthews said he could have been doing that all season. But the Seahawks waived him among their final cuts on Aug. 30. They signed him to their practice squad, but released him from it on Sept. 3, the day before the opener. They signed him back to the practice squad Oct. 29, released him from it Nov. 4 and signed him back to the practice squad again Nov. 18 before the promotion to the active roster Dec. 6.

“I feel like I could have done that. but it’s not up to me. It’s up to the coaches. They felt like I wasn’t ready at that time,” Matthews said. “There was nothing I could do about it.

So here is my question: how tall were the Rams's defensive backs in the game last week? Am I the only one who has noticed a huge missed opportunity last week?

If the Rams draped Jimmy with defenders last week, then what could the defenders have done with Matthews also competing for defensive backs? Tall receivers are open at the LOS for high passes the moment the play starts. Even Tyler Lockett takes about 1.5 seconds to get open, which means that Mathews is open for a high pass 1.5 seconds before Tyler Lockett, and so is Jimmy Graham. Ricardo Lockette is six foot two, and can run a 4.3 forty. What are the chances that he can not jump high, and has never rebounded in basketball?

I propose that the coaches design a tall receivers set designed to crush the pass rush. Deploy Graham, Matthews, and Ricardo Lockette to go five yards deep, turn around, and prepare to rebound a high pass. No NFL team has the height resources in the defensive backs to counter this. They need to deploy three tall defensive backs to defend these three tall quick receivers. Toss in Tyler Lockett running quick routes in there, and the defense needs quick defensive backs to stop him. No team in the NFL has lots of defensive backs who are both tall and lightning quick.

Dink and dunk all the way to the end zone defeating great pass rushes with tall receivers. We win the games.

I only wish the coaches would consider something like this. The idea of using just ONE tall receiver when you have THREE is (trying to be kind here) just, ......, unimaginative. Criminally unimaginative.
You had me until Ricardo Lockette.

hawk45

Reaction score
netskier":14mpvp62 said:

Co-signed so hard. It just seems so damned possible to make this so and I can't understand why it isn't done. If we had this means to survive blitz-happy teams that would be such a good fit for an OL not built to let Russ survey the field and eat a sandwich. Make the call to Pete netskier.

rideaducati

Reaction score
netskier":1hjx742x said:
Hawkstorian":1hjx742x said:
Hendo66":1hjx742x said:

Matthews doesn't shine in practice against the Seahawks DBs because the Seahawk DBs are built to stop taller receivers. Kearse and Baldwin look good in practice because they have the size and speed that give Seahawk DBs trouble. Bevell isn't smart enough to understand this, so we get to watch smaller DBs smother Baldwin and Kearse all game long because they look better in practice.

netskier

Reaction score
Laloosh, I take your point regarding Ricardo Lockette, and was actually thinking that Kasen Williams would make a monster third tall WR in place of Ricardo. Only an inch shorter but a great leaper, and outstanding competitor for high balls.

I was just being a little lazy in not suggesting the roster change in my earlier post. Earlier I wrote about this concept back when we had the six three MacNeil, who would provide even more WR height to supersaturate opposition defensive backs.

netskier

Reaction score
Ducati, I partially agree, but the part that disagrees is based on Baldwin's quotation in my long post above.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Maybe he needs to EARN some playing time.

Practice better, Chris.

AgentDib

Reaction score
netskier":jk91uy56 said:
MVP 53, Matthews has already been consistent in the two games he has been targeted. Why do you think that practice is a better predictor than games?
Because there's a lot more of it. You're comparing 5 career receptions in games to hundreds if not thousands of attempts in practice.

netskier

Reaction score
AgentDib":2u7nk0vv said:
netskier":2u7nk0vv said:
MVP 53, Matthews has already been consistent in the two games he has been targeted. Why do you think that practice is a better predictor than games?
Because there's a lot more of it. You're comparing 5 career receptions in games to hundreds if not thousands of attempts in practice.

Doug Baldwin attends practice, and has reported what he has seen Matthews do in practice all last year.

So the coaches saw Matthews catch high passes all season long in practices, and still did not play him last year until Pete ordered them to, and STILL the coaches last week did NOT utilize him, Graham, and Ricardo Lockette as Blitz Breakers (thanks, Tinmat) even though they knew that our OL was very weak last week, and that pass protection was forseen by everyone to be a problem before the Rams game.

Clearly we have a problem with the coaches and the coaching of the passing attack. If Dink and Dunk works for Phil Rivers and Tom Brady, then it could work for Seattle, by just coaching Wilson to throw the short hi lobs to his SET of Blitz Breakers. I believe that Wilson could have been coached to do this, and it would have won the game against the Rams last week.

jake206

Reaction score
Chris Matthews is overrated. He had his one shining moment in the SB, but otherwise seems like JAG whose inconsistent.

MVP53

Reaction score
netskier":nw8vbp3y said:
Matthews caught the one pass thrown to him, for a one hundred percent rate, which I consider good. The coaches kept him from being thrown to ask last season and playoffs until the Superbowl.

Until you can show anyone what Matthews is doing on the routes in which he is NOT thrown to, then all this is is "the coaches hate him" conspiracy theory.

Given what we know about Pete, is that really the cart you want to hitch up to?

MVP53

Reaction score
Amazing how football is as simple as rostering a bunch of 6'6 guys and just throwing the ball up to them, yet no team has ever employed that strategy.

Too bad the Sonics left town. There's your WR group right there.

rideaducati

Reaction score
AgentDib":27few64s said:
netskier":27few64s said:

Matthews goes against a defense that is better at stopping taller receivers than the smaller shifty guys in practice every day. He just isn't going to look as good in PRACTICE as Baldwin and Kearse. On the flipside, Baldwin and Kearse aren't going to look as good in games vs smaller shifty corners. It really is rather simple to figure this out and Pete even mentioned the same thing after the Super Bowl, but here we are again watching Matthews come in for three plays and catching the only ball thrown to him in a game while Kearse and Baldwin get smothered for the majority of the game.

Pete needs to step in and make the call like he did in the Super Bowl. Matthews could actually be a number one receiver, but the way it is going now, he will probably be making big plays on a different team.

I have seen enough balls batted into the air by Kearse to last a lifetime. Please make it stop.

rideaducati

Reaction score
netskier":a4sw3ni8 said:
Ducati, I partially agree, but the part that disagrees is based on Baldwin's quotation in my long post above.

Ugh. I just don't get why the team is so set in their ways when their ways aren't working outside of practice.

timmat

Reaction score
Matthews played a fair amount of snaps in Green Bay, and I liked what I saw. He had a first down catch, but more importantly, he drew a fair amount of attention from the GB defenders. Looking several times at the replay of the Baldwin TD catch, Matthews was lined up inside and ran a cross. It looked like to me he drew double - and maybe by the default positioning of one of the defenders - even triple coverage on his route. GBs reaction to Matthews' route really opened up the backside for Baldwin.

I also saw him make a tackle on a kick off. The guy isn't a superstar or anything, but I like what he is bringing, and I think the potential is there for more.