Christian McCaffery - Seahawky or nah?

McGruff

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":1rhbw2s7 said:
I wonder how much it would cost for McCaffery to take out a $20 or $30 million dollar insurance policy for a single game? Could Stanford foot the bill for that? That way he could play and they'd be doing right by a player with high earnings potential.

Stanford most certainly could NOT pay for that.

I know others have done it, but I shudder to think how they afforded it.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Not sure. UW shut him down pretty well. Maybe more as a receiver type, but man we need OL help in the WORST way.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Joe Williams, rb from Utah looks more Seahawky to me than McCaffery. Williams is rising but probably still a 2nd - 4th rounder at this point.

[youtube]2XDLg-halXs[/youtube]

[youtube]sZKk_-m5bR0[/youtube]

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Cousin of mine and I have been agreeing in conversation, and putting it on record, that he goes to the Patriots. Some how some way.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
He won't be drafted high so that's not a reason for not taking him. He'll probably run a 4.5 flat and be pretty average at the combine. He's not a feature back. 3rd round at the highest for a team tbat needs a utility player and returner. His stock goes up if he says he'll play more in the slot.

Basically exactly what gives him a chip on his shoulder according to an article I read, which sucks for him, but he'll be a pretty good overall player in the end. The NFL just isn't College

IndyHawk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":28q0iesg said:
He won't be drafted high so that's not a reason for not taking him. He'll probably run a 4.5 flat and be pretty average at the combine. He's not a feature back. 3rd round at the highest for a team tbat needs a utility player and returner. His stock goes up if he says he'll play more in the slot.

Basically exactly what gives him a chip on his shoulder according to an article I read, which sucks for him, but he'll be a pretty good overall player in the end. The NFL just isn't College
This is what I feel pretty much but still think he will be a bust for the high expectations a lot have for him.He is too small and 4.5 I think is being kind..The fact he is afraid of injury is more than telling

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1hd4y8z7 said:
Yeah I'd be down with that.

I sincerely believe that Seattle's 'needs based' drafting style has vastly underperformed the last 4 years.

It worked fine, when any great player would grade well because our roster was junk. But once this team started to collect quality players, we began to pass up on good talents in favor of mediocre/poor talent (respective to draft stock) for no other reason than 'need'.

The draft should always be about adding difference making talent. Use UFA to stem the need bleed.

McCaffery appears redundant today. But when Procise or Rawls goes down again and we're looking at starting Alex Collins -- we're going to wish we had McCaffery on the roster instead of some god awful OT who rates in the bottom 5 of the entire NFL by way of PFF/Fans eyes. Even despite Cable's love for his intangibles that don't factor a lick in executing a basic block.

I want Seattle to start getting great players again. This team is already right now in the initial mix of a full on roster rebuild. Who are our next core of players past 2018. Because that's when the guys picked in 2010-12 are going to start needing to be replaced. The names on the jerseys will still be the same. But they'll just not play the same. At some point today's Richard Sherman is going to be 2010's Marcus Trufant. A onetime great player who just doesn't play great anymore.

This team needs to flush in the next core. At whatever position possible. It wouldn't be hard to go through the list of need based picks between 2013 and 2015 to see how we would have been vastly better served to double up on a position of perceived need. Because today's strength is one play away from being tomorrow's need.

McCaffery is a game changing talent. Like Procise, equally able to line up in the backfield or out wide. There are plenty of options where both Procise and McCaffery could complement each other together on the field at the same time. Seattle loves to go 4 wides. Imaging bringing in 21 personnel package only to motion out to empty, with McCaffery and Procise matched up on LBs.

If it came down to McCaffery or some offensive tackle that 20 other OL starved teams felt comfortable letting go off the board -- I think I'd opt for the RB in this case.

I'd likewise make this same case for great safeties (FS or SS) which should be available in this class.

If John Ross is on the board, I would much prefer him to whatever is left over at OT/OG in round one.

There are a handful of players that appear to be real difference makers in this draft. Many of these prospects play a position that appears to be set today. As a team, Seattle should outright expect that many of our core players are going to be lost to injury every season from here on out. It's the nature of the game and the expected result of the toll on these players' bodies.

At this point, other than QB, I think I'm open to drafting any position on this club. We need to start to assemble the next core group that will take this team on their shoulders in 2019-2024. Game changing talents -- you can't just order those on a menu. When they present themselves to you, you either take them or you don't.

I would rather we take them, even if there is some redundancy. Because the current wear on our core guys is starting to show.
Your on point with this post! You are sight right on! I say sign me up I wouldnt mind seeing him in a hawk uniform!

classicaaron

Reaction score
I would take him as a third rounder but some team will end up taking him much higher than he should go. hes just not a featured back in the NFL and with a first round pick that's what you should get. not like it would be the worst pick of all time but the seahawks need a lot more on the roster than a mccaffery type player.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Nope. At least I wouldn't take him until the late rounds. He puts himself above the team.