Christine Michael reverting to old habits.

hawk45

Reaction score
Michael does seem to limit larger gains by his always-falling running style, but comparisons to Turbin are unfair IMO.

Turbin showed minimal ability as a running back and didn't hit holes nearly as quickly. Michael may limit himself to 3-8 yards, but he pretty reliably gets those 3-8 yards and keeps the drive on-schedule. That totally works for me, especially since he's being mixed in with Rawls (who can do everything that Michael can do better, and bust the long ones).

If he keeps up his production I'm okay with mental mistakes that require a re-watch to find. Now, if we see him go the wrong way and cause a fumble or miss a blitz-pickup and get Russ killed, then the mental mistakes are on the radar.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
This thread seems like a bit of an overreaction, considering Michael has played very well since returning to the Seahawks.

Not sure if it's necessary to read anything into that play other than a missed assignment or a mix-up or Russell being Russell.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
This thread seems focused on bashing the 20% Michael still needs to improve when he's accomplished the 80%. A lot of Pete Carroll's talk on Christine Michael, and a lot of the players' talk on him, is that he's stopped "playing wild" and settled down to reading situations and accepting 4-yard gains. That sounds to me like he's making adequate progress. The rest is gravy.

It speaks volumes to me that they turned to Michael with the game-winning drive. And other than the off-the-head play, I don't think he disappointed them.

kidhawk

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":3jd03uq9 said:
kidhawk":3jd03uq9 said:
StoneCold":3jd03uq9 said:
Agreed, but without knowing what his role was, it's hard to assess his boneheadedness. If he knocks the guy down then turns to become a receiver and the guy gets up and tackles Russ we'd still be going WTF.

It's the NFL, a guy needs to be able to block and be ready to have the ball thrown his way
Yup, well considering the ground he's covered in his 'awakening,' maybe that wasn't the core of what he has been concentrating on. At least he blocked well and took pride (however ill -timed) in doing so. Now it's time to take next step.

It's not like I'm calling for him to be cut or anything, just that I think he's still got a ways to go if he wants to be a starting RB in the NFL. It's the details that take a player from physically gifted to being productive in the NFL.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2fvimuxi said:
This thread seems focused on bashing the 20% Michael still needs to improve when he's accomplished the 80%. A lot of Pete Carroll's talk on Christine Michael, and a lot of the players' talk on him, is that he's stopped "playing wild" and settled down to reading situations and accepting 4-yard gains. That sounds to me like he's making adequate progress. The rest is gravy.

It speaks volumes to me that they turned to Michael with the game-winning drive. And other than the off-the-head play, I don't think he disappointed them.

Yeah, but to quote LARGENT80 on the mental lapse Pope had in a pre-Season game, "If you want to be a Pro, play like you do, or find another job" LOLOL.
Point is, ALL players have moments of 'Brainfartery', just too much expectation of perfection, hell, look no further than the OFF game that Earl Thomas had....Shit happens.
Like I said, Michael will look at game film, realize that he had an opportunity for a big play that he missed...It was just ONE play.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
For us, he is an asset.

While Rawls is a punishing runner, he is smaller so that wear & tear will start to impact his effectiveness by the end of the year.

If we can get him 30-40% less carries, he ends up getting more rest, being more effective, and that pays off when you hit the playoffs with a much less tired back.

2nd, Michael hit the hole faster. Inertia is a big deal when you are in short yardage and everyone is expecting you to run. So far, unless he gets caught in the backfield (because as mentioned, he isn't going to power through tackles like Rawls) he is probably going to get you the 1-2 yards.

It feels like that the pass blocking got better but the run blocking is worse. So we need the 2.

And it needs to be mentioned what the alternative is, for people upset that Michael can only get you 8 - what are you expecting a 2nd string back to get you? Turbin would occasionally get you the 15 but that was accompanied with a whole lot of 1s & 2s as yards gained. Sometimes feet gained.

He made a mistake, but the confirmation bias here is strong. So many people are used to ripping him and making fun of him that they cannot let go. I don't know his intelligence, I don't know the guy. I find it odd so many think they can glean his intelligence based on a few interviews, some tweets and what he does in games. But have at it.

This team is going to need him. So you should probably hope for the best for him. If he keeps making mistakes, ideally the staff will see and start using him in areas where his ability to rip off 6-8 yard runs is his primary contribution.

Jville

Reaction score
Some guys are self starters and low maintenance. Other guys are high maintenance in that they need constant monitoring and assistance in moving on to the next play and focusing on each assignment with equal enthusiasm. Guys that struggle with focus can often be a liability in telegraphing play calls. This fan is more comfortable when talented but high maintenance and focus concerns are restricted to situational opportunities. That doesn't mean a situational back can't grow into a trusted back for all occasions. After all, that should be the goal for any back that wants to stay on the field.

It is the self starter / low maintenance asset that can be counted on and trusted.

dogorama

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3qad8s9o said:
For us, he is an asset.

While Rawls is a punishing runner, he is smaller so that wear & tear will start to impact his effectiveness by the end of the year.

If we can get him 30-40% less carries, he ends up getting more rest, being more effective, and that pays off when you hit the playoffs with a much less tired back.

2nd, Michael hit the hole faster. Inertia is a big deal when you are in short yardage and everyone is expecting you to run. So far, unless he gets caught in the backfield (because as mentioned, he isn't going to power through tackles like Rawls) he is probably going to get you the 1-2 yards.

It feels like that the pass blocking got better but the run blocking is worse. So we need the 2.

And it needs to be mentioned what the alternative is, for people upset that Michael can only get you 8 - what are you expecting a 2nd string back to get you? Turbin would occasionally get you the 15 but that was accompanied with a whole lot of 1s & 2s as yards gained. Sometimes feet gained.

He made a mistake, but the confirmation bias here is strong. So many people are used to ripping him and making fun of him that they cannot let go. I don't know his intelligence, I don't know the guy. I find it odd so many think they can glean his intelligence based on a few interviews, some tweets and what he does in games. But have at it.

This team is going to need him. So you should probably hope for the best for him. If he keeps making mistakes, ideally the staff will see and start using him in areas where his ability to rip off 6-8 yard runs is his primary contribution.

I tend to agree here, we would need a whole lot more to confirm the validity of these claims. When it comes to saying anything negative about the players it just depends on who you are talking about and given CMike's past you pretty much get a free pass. But, "facial expressions when he doesn't like the play?" Sorry, but that sounds a little bizarre to me. If there is any validity to these claims of course it would behoove him to get his act together, but I am a little doubtful.

There is a reason I am a little sceptical that he is starting to go off the rails and I'll tell you why; he has a one-year contract w/only 25K guaranteed, this means that Seahawks can cut him at any time w/o incurring any financial damage whatsoever. Not only that, but he has already gathered some interest around the league w/his turnaround story, if he continues to progress and have a good year he will get a REAL contract next year, be it here or elsewhere. So, his entire life is riding on what he does this year. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I was upset with some of his attitude last week, but don't get me wrong. I think he will do great this year, but making changes to one's personality traits isn't easy. For anybody that would be difficult, and there will be regression and relapse, but I actually trust him to rebound and learn from the errors of ones ways.

Christine Michael will help this team immensely, but when bad habits surface, people, including me, are going to talk about it.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
ivotuk":1kapwjhi said:
I was upset with some of his attitude last week, but don't get me wrong. I think he will do great this year, but making changes to one's personality traits isn't easy. For anybody that would be difficult, and there will be regression and relapse, but I actually trust him to rebound and learn from the errors of ones ways.

Christine Michael will help this team immensely, but when bad habits surface, people, including me, are going to talk about it.

Big difference this year is that he's finally responding/listening to coaching. I both like and dislike what he did to cause the ball to bounce off of his helmet. I like it because he blocked down that DE and appeared to enjoy getting the upper hand. I don't like it because of obvious reasons, but I'm sure he got an earful from teammates and coaches about that. What's important is what he does in the coming weeks. He's come a long way, so why not give him benefit of the doubt to correct this mistake as well? That's a rhetorical question, BTW and not directed at you.

StoneCold

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":1ufjrhcb said:
ivotuk":1ufjrhcb said:

Big difference this year is that he's finally responding/listening to coaching. I both like and dislike what he did to cause the ball to bounce off of his helmet. I like it because he blocked down that DE and appeared to enjoy getting the upper hand. I don't like it because of obvious reasons, but I'm sure he got an earful from teammates and coaches about that. What's important is what he does in the coming weeks. He's come a long way, so why not give him benefit of the doubt to correct this mistake as well? That's a rhetorical question, BTW and not directed at you.

After having a chance to re-watch it was clearly a bone head play. Great block, but lost awareness of the play around him. He's such a quick slashing runner let's hope he continues to learn and focus.

HawkGA

Reaction score
How do we not have a gif of this yet? You're all fired.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":olr8q5mk said:
I have the game and checked it out starting at 2:15 left on the clock in the 4th quarter.

Michael picked up the blitz, stood there, Wilson threw him the ball as rush was coming, it bounced on Michael's shoulder.

It looked like Michael felt the ball hitting him on his shoulders, he did turn his head to look at Wilson's way, but then went back and starred at the defender.

If Michael turn his head to look at Wilson after the blitz picked up, there was no other defender on that side and he would of been able to get the first down, at the least 3 points on that drive.

Also noted on same play, Britt received a face-mask (head was bent back) that didn't get called. If refs called it, that would of been a first down.

Not sure if Wilson was just throwing it close to an eligible receiver as he saw the rush and was just throwing it out, or Michael was suppose to pickup the blitz then release.

Screenshot2040 1

HawkGA.....whut???

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
CM is not the starter but he will play some and he's a good player. Apparently this is a problem for some because CM played a good game last week. There's nothing to see here manufactured news imo and it doesn't surprise me it's Danny O'Neil he likes to stir the pot.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":2ov4lv17 said:
theincrediblesok":2ov4lv17 said:
I have the game and checked it out starting at 2:15 left on the clock in the 4th quarter.

Michael picked up the blitz, stood there, Wilson threw him the ball as rush was coming, it bounced on Michael's shoulder.

It looked like Michael felt the ball hitting him on his shoulders, he did turn his head to look at Wilson's way, but then went back and starred at the defender.

If Michael turn his head to look at Wilson after the blitz picked up, there was no other defender on that side and he would of been able to get the first down, at the least 3 points on that drive.

Also noted on same play, Britt received a face-mask (head was bent back) that didn't get called. If refs called it, that would of been a first down.

Not sure if Wilson was just throwing it close to an eligible receiver as he saw the rush and was just throwing it out, or Michael was suppose to pickup the blitz then release.

Screenshot2040 1

HawkGA.....whut???

If that a gift? It's only coming through as a picture for me.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Essentially Michael planted the blitzer (28) and was starring him down for a fraction of a second. RW got pressure from two other areas and bailed himself out by throwing to the only eligible receiver instead of taking the sack. This was not a called play in any way.

Now, Michael was seen just after the huddle smiling and laughing at the sideline, likely getting coaching that it was an outstanding block, but also could have turned his head and helped bail out RW even more to make the play even more positive. He smiled and nodded his head twice to an unknown coach.

Thus isnt as simple as soccer, sure, but this is very obvious and straight forward regarding that play. It's another case of people making stuff up because they don't like a player. We have a lot of that around here for some reason.

billyberu

Reaction score
This thread could use a good dose of humility.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Seafan

Reaction score
Michael and Lockett showed up today, the rest of the offense.....and Bevell.....