CJ looks forward to facing our "traditional 4-3" defense

Largent80

Reaction score
Has anyone bothered to tell the guy we don't run a traditional 4-3?

We are though, 19th against the run at this point, which befuddles me.

Red Beard

Reaction score
The only thing that worries me is if Wagner misses the game. Wags and Irvin's speed would ruin CJ's day.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
SilkMonkey":2oyth2c5 said:
Wags will miss the game- it's all but a certainty.
And THIS is the BIG problem. It worries me a lot for the D's performance vs the run.

Teqneek

Reaction score
Not me.. I like Wagner and all. .but you guys are putting way to much emphasis on the MLB spot. WEve been plugging guys in there and they are still racking up 130 tackles. KJ will do just as good as job.

JCBRAVE

Reaction score
Hey guys,

What CJ meant to say was he's happy to not have to face another one of these crazy 3-4 fronts. He said he sees more down linemen by your guys than the other 5 teams we've dealt with.

Also, never take anything CJ says serious, guy is always contradicting himself, not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Teqneek":2kcyklpu said:
Not me.. I like Wagner and all. .but you guys are putting way to much emphasis on the MLB spot. WEve been plugging guys in there and they are still racking up 130 tackles. KJ will do just as good as job.

It doesn't bother me much either. We haven't gashed this year by running backs. We've played pretty well. Even against Houston Foster broke 100 yards only because of a ton of carries, He averaged less than 4 yards a carry that day.

Tennessee is not that dynamic of an offense and on the road in the CLINK I don't see him gutting us like AP did last year.

If Seattle can race out to a early lead, than it will be a moot point.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Largent80":a4rbmiwg said:

Take out Kaepernick and Newton's yards, and the average is closer to 3.4. The run D has been solid.

Brahn

Reaction score
JCBRAVE":3rvo7xf1 said:
Hey guys,

What CJ meant to say was he's happy to not have to face another one of these crazy 3-4 fronts. He said he sees more down linemen by your guys than the other 5 teams we've dealt with.

Also, never take anything CJ says serious, guy is always contradicting himself, not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer.

The thing that has me worried the most is our susceptibility to screens with our over aggressiveness (Although recently we have done a bit better job). Have the Titans utilized CJ more in the screen passing game this year? And if so, how has he looked from your perspective?

I still am in the boat where I think he can still break a big one and you have to make sure you know when he is out there.

JCBRAVE

Reaction score
Brahn":24l10g4u said:
JCBRAVE":24l10g4u said:
Hey guys,

The thing that has me worried the most is our susceptibility to screens with our over aggressiveness (Although recently we have done a bit better job). Have the Titans utilized CJ more in the screen passing game this year? And if so, how has he looked from your perspective?

I still am in the boat where I think he can still break a big one and you have to make sure you know when he is out there.
The Tennessee Titans dont know what a screen is. Dont be worried about us using screens, we've tried, we've failed, so we just dont use them.

C-Dub

Reaction score
Largent80":1z84128s said:

Whoa!!!!

Spoiler alert man!!!!!

You gotta warn us when you start flapping those gums.

C-Dub

Reaction score
Scottemojo":w3se64oz said:
Largent80":w3se64oz said:

Take out Kaepernick and Newton's yards, and the average is closer to 3.4. The run D has been solid.
Yup! Aside from the scrambling QB's, we are BA against the run.

lukerguy

Reaction score
"mental mistakes" AKA my OLINE is making mistakes AKA...Look in the mirror, son.

Tical21

Reaction score
I think I get what Johnson is saying. During the preseason, a lot of teams practice against what their own defense normally runs. So they get very comfortable running against a 4-man front. We actually use 5, I guess, but our D-line is positioned to where you block them as if they are a 4-man front. Typically we have two linemen between the guards and two more outside the tackles.

For example, on a simple lead or power play, against a 4-man front, you often times get the tackle and guard doubling on the DT, and hopefully they block him well enough to where the Tackle can slide off and pick off a LB we well (in a traditional scheme, not as much in the zone scheme).

It looks way different against an odd front, to the point that there are plays that you can't run.

So I'm sure they've practiced against, and gotten very comfortable playing against an even front, so they know what to expect and how to adjust. As both a player and a playcaller, odd fronts (3-4) always, always gave me trouble. It shouldn't have, as there can be some huge holes if you run over the guard, but you just don't see it enough to get truly comfortable, and it is hard to decide how to block it.

Zowert

Reaction score
Chris Johnson, lol! The man got paid and quit performing. If his career lasts long enough, you'll see him start producing the year before his contract expires. In hopes of one more big payday.

Marshawn Lynch is the opposite. We gave him a comfortable salary and he didn't slow down at all.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Teqneek":b6ca9876 said:

I actually kind of like KJ better against the run as the Mike. Bigger body, longer arms, able to make a bigger stick on a ball carrier from there. He'll be able to step up and fill some gaps. There will be some drop off from Wagz to KJ in the Mike spot, but it won't be against the run IMO.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
warden":11ipjmh1 said:
We are on a traditional 4/3 defense

We're one of the least traditional defenses in the league, and whether we're 4-3 or 3-4 changes with each snap.

Latest posts