Clarity to How Seahawks' Defense Will Operate in 2021

Jville

Reaction score
I think we are going to see a very active rotation of players this year. So ...... it's not too early to start getting up to speed as to what to look for in what promises to be a continuation from last year of an evolving defense.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SeahawkMaven/status/1423008551845367813[/tweet]

First Week of Training Camp Gives Clarity to How Seahawks' Defense Will Operate in 2021 >>>> [urltargetblank]https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/gm-report/analysis-first-week-of-training-camp-gives-clarity-to-how-seahawks-defense-will-operate-in-2021[/urltargetblank]

Enjoy :biggthumpup:

Fade

Reaction score
I need to see it for myself, but generally Seattle has always been a 4-3 defense with 3-4 personnel, that is coming from Pete himself.

1 gapping vs. 2 gapping is the discussion. Traditional 43 is a 1 gap. Traditional 34 is 2 gap. Pete has hybridized it from time to time in the past having the 1-Tech and/or 5-Techs at times 2 gap, but he has never gone full trad 3-4.

I think what the Seahawks are thinking is the Rams & Niners widezone running game, w/jet sweeps requires a 5-2 alignment (which looks like a 3-4) to better set the edge and have the girth inside to deal with this particular rushing attack. Seattle now runs that offense too, so they are getting good practice.

Can't wait to see it for myself.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Fade":1cbalfiw said:
I need to see it for myself, but generally Seattle has always been a 4-3 defense with 3-4 personnel, that is coming from Pete himself.

1 gapping vs. 2 gapping is the discussion. Traditional 43 is a 1 gap. Traditional 34 is 2 gap. Pete has hybridized it from time to time in the past having the 1-Tech and/or 5-Techs at times 2 gap, but he has never gone full trad 3-4.

I think what the Seahawks are thinking is the Rams & Niners widezone running game, w/jet sweeps requires a 5-2 alignment (which looks like a 3-4) to better set the edge and have the girth inside to deal with this particular rushing attack. Seattle now runs that offense too, so they are getting good practice.

Can't wait to see it for myself.

I was going to post just this. Pete even used a 3-4 5-2 hybrid defense at NC State as the DC for Monte Kiffin in the early 1980s.

BASF

Reaction score
"This is the most 3-4 the Seahawks will have ever looked."

This line in the article made me burst out laughing, but then realized the writer probably wasn't alive for the Knox era.

ivotuk

Reaction score
BASF":2ddifsmh said:
"This is the most 3-4 the Seahawks will have ever looked."

This line in the article made me burst out laughing, but then realized the writer probably wasn't alive for the Knox era.

How fortuitous that you should post this at post # 1976, :irishdrinkers:

I watched the Hawks during the Chuck Knox era, but had no idea then what a 4 - 3 or a 3 - 4 was, I just knew that they were a good defense and offense and got sooooo close to the going to the big game/playoffs so many times. They were so much fun to watch.

Latest posts