Clay Matthew's FLOP for Holding Call - GIF

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Seriously all pro teams have players who do this. Our team definitely pushed the envelope on physicality last year. I'm not complaining about teams flopping against us for a call.

Hawks46

Reaction score
HawkGA":2y28xyqe said:
I'm not even sure how flopping backwards equals holding. Would a hold pull him forward or maybe to the side? How do you hold somebody backwards?

This. Shame on the refs for even throwing the flag. How in the hell do you hold a guy while he's obviously moving away from you ? Holding a guy keeps him in closer to you and keeps him from getting away.

I didn't remember this one, but it looks intentional with the windmilling of the arms. I was previously talking about the flop with Britt. I rewatched that in slow mo several times and just couldn't see the hold, although he fell exactly like he was being held and Britt's hands were shielded from the refs, so I don't blame them for that one.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":7ocln0ke said:
Uhh, flopping doesn't earn you a holding call in football. That's the blocker's job, to drive you backwards and put you on your back. The flag was for the obvious latching onto Matthews' jersey by Miller with both hands, which one of the other angles clearly showed. Was it egregious or any different than what most O-linemen do on nearly every play? No. But it happened in the immediate vicinity of the ball-carrier on a would-be tackler. That will get the call most times. Was it a slightly dubious call? At best, yes. Was it a horrible call brought on by a backwards "flop?" Absolutely not.

Ultimately it didn't matter anyway, as the Hawks still got in the end zone on that drive.

It's extremely clear from the reverse angle that Matthews just gave up and flopped backwards, both arms waving. Now, maybe you could point to Miller getting his hands outside the numbers during the hand fighting, but he always got them back to Matthews' pads.

It was a crappy call, but I've noticed that pancake blocks are, frustratingly, getting called holds more frequently, as if there's no other explanation.

Hawks46

Reaction score
You can grab jersey between the shoulder pads. You just can't hold on when the player tries to separate.

Matthews' jersey clearly wasn't pulled out away from his body. Non call at best

BamKam

Reaction score
We got away with one too. This happens every game to every team. Move along.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Hawks46":1r1y9ke4 said:
You can grab jersey between the shoulder pads. You just can't hold on when the player tries to separate.

Matthews' jersey clearly wasn't pulled out away from his body. Non call at best

I kind of thought you were allowed to grab within the shoulder pads too. Somebody referenced another angle where you could see more of a hold. Perhaps it was.

It's kind of funny. I think I get more mad about phantom calls than I do about missed calls. I think we've come to expect calls to get missed (refs are human after all) but when somebody calls something that isn't there it just doesn't sit well (for some reason the same "refs are human" defense just doesn't hold up as well).

sc85sis

Reaction score
While I wasn't happy it got called, I give Clay credit for doing what he needed to do. Punters flop all the time to draw fouls.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
hawk45":2i0ljn5r said:
TeamoftheCentury":2i0ljn5r said:
peachesenregalia":2i0ljn5r said:
Dude sucks. That was some bitch shit.

Let's all fill some brown paper bags with shit, then light them and throw them at his house. or at SacHawk's house. Either way.
Clay Matthews either knocks the snot out of you... or fakes a seizure to draw a flag. Gotta give him credit for trying to make an impact either way. Zach Miller could only laugh because he knows Matthews was smart enough to get away with that.

No, I don't have to give him credit for flopping like a soccer girl. It looks bad when NBA players do it and they lose respect, I hope NFL fans ridicule this mercilessly as do his own teammates to stop this crap in its infancy.

SMH at respecting his cunning for that move.
Yeah, thanks. I never said I respect such a move. But, if the officials are stupid enough to buy it... he's gonna keep selling it. I can agree with your passion and for upholding the integrity of the game. The only "credit" was for trying to make an impact. I didn't say all the credit in the world, but he got the call... didn't he? Helped his team. Yup, it was cheatin. No doubt about it. (Hey Packers fans... what about that farce? Where's the cryin' over that?) Yeah, I was "SMH" and yelling at the screen on that one just like others shared. What can we do, though? I certainly don't approve of it. But, takes a fairly heady player to pull that off at the right time to help his team. That's all. Of course I didn't like it.

Sac

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2o652ch5 said:
Dude sucks. That was some bitch shit.

Let's all fill some brown paper bags with shit, then light them and throw them at his house. or at SacHawk's house. Either way.
I love flaming poop, thanks Peaches.

godawg

Reaction score
I was watching the game at a local sports bar and the guy next to me was decked out in full Packers regalia, but even he thought it was a ridiculous call. On the other hand, the Packers guy got my respect after that.