Clayton: Will Seahawks address issues on defense with change

Largent80

Reaction score
There ya go, the 2nd pick in the draft (Bosa). Couple that with Buckner. #7 overall, Armstead #17 OVERALL, Thomas #3 overall...Get the picture?

Well, Armstead is now a FA. And may become a Seahawk

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
btw, I'm not saying Pete isn't stubborn with scheme.

Saleh and Shanahan had Sherman following Adams all over the field last weekend, and Pete and Norton refused to let Griffin do that against GB, and he destroyed Flowers.

So there's definitely room for improvement. But if we're dividing up what's wrong with the defense, scheme is WAY behind talent.

Elite: Wagner, Clowney
Above Average: Wright, Diggs, Griffin
Average: Jefferson, Reed, McDougald
Below Average to Terrible: Everyone else

That's it, you can't tell me it's scheme when we need at LEAST 3-4 more elites on that list before our defense gets back to dominating and giving us a real shot at winning another SB.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I want to argue with you but I can't really find anything to disagree with. :)

Largent80

Reaction score
It's easy. EDGE. We had an injured EDGE that kicked ass in spite of his injury.

We had ZERO other EDGE rushers. In other words, NOBODY could rush from the outside opposite Clowney.

ummm, DO YOU SEE A PROBLEM??

So Obviously signing Clowney is a MUST. Signing another distruptive and QUICK DE is also a must. Both will be F.A.

Whomever they get, it will be better than what we had in 2019. (hopefully)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
austinslater25":2om8obl1 said:
I want to argue with you but I can't really find anything to disagree with. :)

Mrs. Largent is that you?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
austinslater25":2ndl5q6b said:
Fade":2ndl5q6b said:
hawk45":2ndl5q6b said:
As much as the slow starts concern me, I'm beginning to feel that Pete isn't capable of bringing the defense back to top 10. Not historically great, just top 10.

We had all our players against the Packers and the defense was $h!t in the first half, and overall this year awful. Certainly Clowney healthy for an entire year changes the picture, but my bigger concern is that Pete isn't showing signs of being able to draft safeties and corners as I thought he would. I used to say "no PC coached defense will be worse than average" but that balloon has popped for me.

Which is a problem, because with a top 10 D we're an SB contender this year even with Pete's offensive philosophy (which I personally don't mind, I just dislike his early game plans and lack of flexibility).

This is where I have been at for a while now. By mid year the defense was statistically worse once again for the 6th consecutive year. The team had more talent this year, than last year as well. Diggs > TT ; Clowney > Clark ; In shape Shaq > out of shape Shaq. 2nd year Flowers > Rookie Flowers. 2nd yr Poona > 1st yr Poona.

2018 Nickel > 2019 Nickel ; 2018 LB > 2019 LB ; 2018 Reed > 2019 Reed, but mostly spot for spot I would go with the 2019 player over the 2018 player. And Diggs is a massive upgrade over, TT, so 2019 wins by default.

But here we are, another season done, and the defense is worse.

I'm at the same place as well. There is no reason the defense shouldn't have been better this year.
I don't know that I agree but a 6 year slide is a significant thing. Needs to be turned around to middle of the pack next year. More damned speed!!

olyfan63

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":3dw1sqqu said:
We never recovered from losing CLark. Even with him, we were a mediocre d.

Losing Clark was NOT our problem. Clowney more than made up for him. And we got some nice draft picks.