Colts DE Robert Mathis Suspended for Violating PED Policy

drdiags

Reaction score
If it was just to help his wife have a kid, figuring he makes around $8-10M/yr, definitely was a million dollar baby he bit the bullet on. Hope the wife appreciates this later down the road when she is divorcing him.

Probably not. Ouch!

TXHawk

Reaction score
Not really buying his story. He says he asked the fertility doctor if the drug would cause problems with the NFL and was told it wouldn't, but his doctor is saying that he didn't even know Mathis played in the NFL. And a massive NFL player doesn't seem likely to need a testosterone boost and it just happens to be a drug that is commonly used at the end of a steroid cycle?

A guy like Mathis who has been in the league for years knows damn well he can't start taking a drug without checking it out first with the team physician and the NFL. There are too many holes in his story to be believable.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
IndyHawk":327s4pdf said:
I believe Mathis in this case..The guy was always a Beast and it was him that made Freeney get the stats..When the Colts switched to the 3-4 he was allowed to move all over the line,this is also why he had good numbers ..It wasn't "suddenly" he just put up numbers...He's been all-pro multiple years.. Always been a real good player..I've been watching him since he came into the NFL..I wish the Hawks had him...

Ha ha ha no.

You believe that a multi-million dollar NFL player, with his career on the line would not consult anyone in the NFL or the Colts' organization before getting a non-FDA-approved drug that was prohibited in the NFL as a PED from some outside doctor?

What's the thought process behind this? "Hmm. This drug is not even approved by the FDA for use, and is actually a performance-enhancing drug that's been prohibited for years. The NFL, with its strict drug policies knows nothing about this. I could get suspended if it pops me positive on a drug test. But the doc said it was fine, so hey, I'm good, right?"

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
TXHawk":mrxlxgaq said:
his doctor is saying that he didn't even know Mathis played in the NFL

Ha, how is that even possible? Conversations with his Dr. and it never comes up that he's in the NFL? Or his profession in general? Whatever. Fishy story from both sides. :roll:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1gerhwjm said:
IndyHawk":1gerhwjm said:
I believe Mathis in this case..The guy was always a Beast and it was him that made Freeney get the stats..When the Colts switched to the 3-4 he was allowed to move all over the line,this is also why he had good numbers ..It wasn't "suddenly" he just put up numbers...He's been all-pro multiple years.. Always been a real good player..I've been watching him since he came into the NFL..I wish the Hawks had him...

Ha ha ha no.

You believe that a multi-million dollar NFL player, with his career on the line would not consult anyone in the NFL or the Colts' organization before getting a non-FDA-approved drug that was prohibited in the NFL as a PED from some outside doctor?

What's the thought process behind this? "Hmm. This drug is not even approved by the FDA for use, and is actually a performance-enhancing drug that's been prohibited for years. The NFL, with its strict drug policies knows nothing about this. I could get suspended if it pops me positive on a drug test. But the doc said it was fine, so hey, I'm good, right?"
Excellent points! Besides these players from the time they get drafted are told over and over and over again by the NFL that THEY are responsible for anything they put in their bodies. We can all point out silly and stupid parts of the NFL drug policy, which there are many, BUT, the players are well aware of the rules of the said policy period.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
When a 32 year old OLB goes from averaging eight or nine sacks per year to suddenly notching 19.5 sacks in one season, you know something's up. Clomid is a female fertility drug that blocks estrogen. It's not approved for use in men; Mathis claims his wife has a medical issue that prevented her from taking it. If his wife was the one with the issue, no doctor would have prescribed it to an otherwise healthy husband for that purpose. Several athletes have been caught using Clomid as a performance enhancer, such as Cincinnati Reds pitcher Edinson Volquez. Clomid has been shown to rapidly increase the level of testosterone in the blood when taken by men, leading to a corresponding increase in energy and muscle mass. There are fewer dangerous side effects than with other forms of performance enhancers.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
hawknation2014":az9k02i8 said:
When a 32 year old OLB goes from averaging eight or nine sacks per year to suddenly notching 19.5 sacks in one season, you know something's up. Clomid is a female fertility drug that blocks estrogen. It's not approved for use in men; Mathis claims his wife has a medical issue that prevented her from taking it. If his wife was the one with the issue, no doctor would have prescribed it to an otherwise healthy husband for that purpose. Several athletes have been caught using Clomid as a performance enhancer, such as Cincinnati Reds pitcher Edinson Volquez. Clomid has been shown to rapidly increase the level of testosterone in the blood when taken by men, leading to a corresponding increase in energy and muscle mass. There are fewer dangerous side effects than with other forms of performance enhancers.

What if he is not "otherwise healthy"? What if his own fertility has been impeded by years of steroid use? Isn't that a known long term side affect? It would be ironic if he had to take the fertility drug / masking agent because of abuse he had already gotten away with.