Concussion Protocol abject failure

HawkGA

Reaction score
ivotuk":vm81pt4q said:
HawkGA":vm81pt4q said:
253hawk":vm81pt4q said:
Seems familiar...Avril went out and went through the proper protocol while Edelman didn't know what planet he was on and later referred to us as 'St. Louis.'

If Edelman comes out, he doesn't get that 21-yarder to set up the TD and isn't in for the next drive to score what would be the game-winner. And if we let Avril keep going, he probably causes enough havoc to not let any of that happen.

Exactly. The concussion protocol did exactly what it was supposed to do, it helped the Patriots win a Super Bowl. I don't know what all the bitching is about. :rumble:

Biggest reason the Hawks lost that game was Avril going out. The dline was wrecking the Patriots' oline before that happened.

So a team who would do anything to win a Superbowl could head shot someone on the opposing team and thus improve their odds?

*cough* Rams *cough*

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
HawkGA":1jsilnqq said:
ivotuk":1jsilnqq said:
HawkGA":1jsilnqq said:
253hawk":1jsilnqq said:
Seems familiar...Avril went out and went through the proper protocol while Edelman didn't know what planet he was on and later referred to us as 'St. Louis.'

If Edelman comes out, he doesn't get that 21-yarder to set up the TD and isn't in for the next drive to score what would be the game-winner. And if we let Avril keep going, he probably causes enough havoc to not let any of that happen.

Exactly. The concussion protocol did exactly what it was supposed to do, it helped the Patriots win a Super Bowl. I don't know what all the bitching is about. :rumble:

Biggest reason the Hawks lost that game was Avril going out. The dline was wrecking the Patriots' oline before that happened.

So a team who would do anything to win a Superbowl could head shot someone on the opposing team and thus improve their odds?

*cough* Rams *cough*
cough* Rams in a regular season game cuz under Fisher they'll never even sniff a Super Bowl.....just ask the Redskins as well as the Hawks *cough

b8rtm8nn

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":873oydb1 said:
The Marshall hit was dirty. No two ways about it. Clear. Intentional. Sized him up, targeted the head and led with his helmet high clearly targeting him.

I felt Stewart's hit was reasonable and targeted/executed legally and that Cam's reaction was what initiated the helmet contact.

I don't agree with this, I think Stewart's was just as bad because he launched himself UP, not THROUGH the opponent. Marshall did the same thing, launched UP. Stewart is 5'11" - no way you launch upward on someone 6" taller to make a tackle - you would loss that match. It was targeting, plain and simple.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Can we recognize that Cam is 6' 4" and 250 pounds? It takes a lot of force to bring him down. As a defender I would think you have to have bad intentions every time you tackle him just to get him to the ground.

Further, Cam is regularly a runner and if concussion was on Riveras mind, I'd doubt he would put him in harms way.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Go look at the tape of the helmet hits.

In almost every single "headshot" two things are happening:

1 - The QB lowers his head below the area where the head was at the beginning of the defender's move toward him.

2 - Someone is at the QB's feet.

Pressure at your feet makes you duck down anyway but this means that there is reasonable expectation that the QB would not have been hit in the head had he stayed upright.

2nd the pressure on the QB is also due to that fact that in multiple instances, the QB is in the grasp but the referee allows the play to continue. (ie the QB shakes free of the tackle). The problem is that if Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers are in the grasp they immediately stop the play. This makes for "Heads I Win" or "Tails We Spin Again" situation for the defense.

A lot of the problem could be avoided by consistently calling in the grasp once the QB is corralled. This would also save the QB from enduring larger hits.

For now, the defender is forced to try to hit the QB with a KO hit in the shoulder area because grabbing the QB results in the QB throwing while in the tackle. If more an issue is made about the potential to hit the helmet, without providing an in the grasp recourse, the obvious course of the defender is going to be going for the knees. It results in a 15 yard penalty sometimes but it is assured to get the QB down.

253hawk

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":vdbjdjm3 said:
Can we recognize that Cam is 6' 4" and 250 pounds? It takes a lot of force to bring him down. As a defender I would think you have to have bad intentions every time you tackle him just to get him to the ground.

Further, Cam is regularly a runner and if concussion was on Riveras mind, I'd doubt he would put him in harms way.

He's actually listed at 6'5", but you're right, you have to really blast him high to throw him off balance, and going for the legs is a no-no...defenders keep getting their hands tied behind their backs with every season that goes by with all of these protection rules. It's extremely difficult to tackle someone that large anywhere between the shoulders and the knees, which is about all that's left of the NFL's "strike zone" on quarterbacks. More often than not, they'll just have time to throw the ball away.