Contingency plan: trading for premium RB?

McGruff

Reaction score
JonRud":1q53mffu said:
I hope Lynch plays another 4 awesome years in Seattle, but if he does retire I am very excited and optimistic about Michael. He really hasn't had a chance to play much but I think he could be a stud RB for us.

Kind of like when Shawn Alexander sat behind Ricky Watters for a year before getting his chance.

I think that is a really fair comparison. Ricky was an awesome all around back and seasoned vet. Shaun was intriguing in his explosive play ability, but everyone saw significant holes in his game even while salivating over his potential. He didn't display natural hands. He didn't run with decisiveness. He never developed his blocking skills. But when his turn came, the team adjusted to his unique skills. Michael shows similar potential and concerns. It will be interesting to see it play out.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Popeyejones":21efjt1w said:
Mick063":21efjt1w said:
All in on Todd Gurley, regardless of Lynch's plans.

You don't pass on generational, transcendent players. Gurley is Eric Dickerson II. In the distant future, Fans across NFL nation will be blogging "We passed on Gurley and drafted this bum instead." Seattle must move up to ensure they lock him in.

Perhaps, but before the 2012 draft the exact same argument was made hundreds of times over about Trent Richardson.

The question was if Richardson was the surest thing at the position since Adrian Peterson in 2007, or since before Adrian Peterson.

Well they were as sure, before and after, except they got the wrong comparison.. try Aaron Curry.

sutz

Reaction score
cacksman":334kzv8t said:
Bobblehead":334kzv8t said:
cacksman":334kzv8t said:
We will not trade for a RB. Remember how long it took for Shawn to be comfortable in the new system? Turbin and Michael are both very talented backs, and should Lynch somehow decide he's retired (SPOILER ALERT: HE WON'T) then I'd be very excited to see what those 2 have to offer with more opportunity.

Can't say I do.
sporadic playing time the first year and then 1K rusher per year afterwards.

Let me refresh your memory.
First year he was traded: 12 games played for SEA, 11 games started. 3.5 ypc.
With a dumpster dug O-line.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
I hope Marshawn remains as our 1-man monster backfield. But...

Even if Gordon and Gurley top JS's list, I would not be surprised if we wait and nab a couple head-scratcher RBs in the 4th and 6th rounds. We'll have huge question marks hovering over our heads until that magic moment in TC or preseason when one of those kids turns it into an exclamation point. Then he'll combine with Turb and Michael to create a 3-headed monster backfield.

Or the exclamation point will be when AP or Murray come here on a reasonable deal.

I love that our FO is so unpredictable, yet they get so many right. Exciting times.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Mick063":2z58buvd said:

You don't pass on generational, transcendent players. Gurley is Eric Dickerson II. In the distant future, Fans across NFL nation will be blogging "We passed on Gurley and drafted this bum instead." Seattle must move up to ensure they lock him in.

I personally believe the Cowboys are eyeing him and the reason they are hedging on Murray. Jerry Jones' advisors will not be so adamant in talking him out of Gurley as they were with Johnny Football. They know how good Gurley is. He would be cheaper and better than Murray and allow them to divert money elsewhere. In other words, I believe Seattle has to move up ahead of Dallas to ensure snagging Gurley.
This is my take on the matter also.
John Schneider has no reservations, nor shred of doubt, that Marshawn Lynch and his power running is the identity, and the second most important player in the Seahawks Offensive system, and the money that they're offering him to stay, shows that they recognize that SOONER or later, they are going to have to TRY and find another rock pounder to take his place.
Gurley is as good a prospect as we've seen come along in a hell of a long time, and I think is worth the Draft capitol to move up and get.
I get that a lot of folks here think that Turbin and Michaels would be good enough to buffer for the loss of Lynch, but I don't think either of them are physical enough to really pound it out in a tight situation.

MrThortan

Reaction score
Love Lynch, but I must admit I have been curious how our running game would be on the backs of Turbin and Michael. Word is that this is a good draft for backs, but I would prefer we didn't just pick the best of what's left with the first rounder, as we have needs in other positions. If the guy that PC and JS like is there at 31 and think he can be a franchise back, then hell ya grab him. Moving up in position to grab Gurley or Gordon is an interesting idea. The Hawks definitely need to be thinking about life after Lynch.

ManBunts

Reaction score
cacksman":1231yabn said:
Bobblehead":1231yabn said:
Mick063":1231yabn said:

I personally believe the Cowboys are eyeing him and the reason they are hedging on Murray. Jerry Jones' advisors will not be so adamant in talking him out of Gurley as they were with Johnny Football. They know how good Gurley is. He would be cheaper and better than Murray and allow them to divert money elsewhere. In other words, I believe Seattle has to move up ahead of Dallas to ensure snagging Gurley.

And yet, JS is already talking about moving down.. (out of the 1st round), so I doubt that will happen.

If you watch the interview, JS is clearly making a joke about how valuable the pick is and everyone could see that. He wouldn't seriously come out and say that he's shopping the pick, because that makes it less valuable.

The team will have 11 picks, which is more than they've ever started with. I believe this year that JS is just as likely to trade up as trade down, since finishing a draft with 13 picks would really not make any sense.

I would love to see this, a much more aggressive draft out of us. I'm personally operating in the mindset that Lynch stays OR we stick with Turbin/Michael. Look at the FA backs out there of note. Gore? I really like him, but age worries me and I don't see the 49ers letting him go. Spiller? Injuries, sooo many. Mathews? See Spiller comments. There's only one back I see that I'd be interested in looking at that might hit the market, Ingram. I know, call me crazy, but he intrigues me. but I still wouldn't want to pay that much for him.

But that said, I don't want us reaching for a RB. Turbin/CM are both good enough that I'd rather sink high picks into our OL. that will indirectly improve ALL aspects of the offense. I also want another talented DB. I'm worried with practically the entire LOB out of commission

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Mick063":1zid70so said:

Every year people say the same thing about players, and every year those players fail to live up to the hype.

The "best" RB is rarely worth even a 2nd round pick.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I said this before but people should watch a Michael highlight video. He's as talented as Gurley and Gordon Imo. I suspect they would grab someone later to compete for carries.

kearly

Reaction score
volsunghawk":eek6o4jo said:
I think the FA route is completely, utterly useless.

Every now and then I'll see a RB who'd be a very nice get for a pass first team. A guy like Ahmad Bradshaw or Knowshon Moreno. But it's pretty rare to see a covetable RB like that for a run first team, who isn't over 30 years old.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
austinslater25":2qis9j68 said:
I said this before but people should watch a Michael highlight video. He's as talented as Gurley and Gordon Imo. I suspect they would grab someone later to compete for carries.

Maybe he is.. but he hasn't done enough to get on the field, so I would much rather have Gurley or another rookie over him.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
We have all discussed the talent potential of Cmike, but, I'm at a loss as to why he is a fringe player at this point.

Does anyone know what the issue is?

nash72

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3qf113ev said:
We have all discussed the talent potential of Cmike, but, I'm at a loss as to why he is a fringe player at this point.

I've only heard that he doesn't have a very good head on his shoulders and struggles mightily with the play book. I would like to think that Michael has more talent then Turbin, but yet, Turbin see's the field.

netskier

Reaction score
Reportedly can not, or will not, learn to carry the ball with his arm furthest away from the tackler, thus driving coaches crazy enough to not play him much.

kearly

Reaction score
Bobblehead":168ag9t2 said:

Every coaching staff has a player or two that they don't play who they really should, often for petty or silly reasons (The Mariners have been awful about this since forever). Stepping over a dollar to pick up a nickle, that kind of thing. In fairness, Robert Turbin played well in 2014, and all it would have taken was a few fumbles from Michael to cancel out his edge over Turbin.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Maybe we should trade him, and stop wasting a roster spot if we don't use him.
Cut our losses and get what we can for him.
I just don't see any reason to keep someone if we don't use them.

cacksman

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1gu3iqx0 said:
austinslater25":1gu3iqx0 said:

Maybe he is.. but he hasn't done enough to get on the field, so I would much rather have Gurley or another rookie over him.

This is tired and lazy analysis in my opinion. Some people out there don't even think Lynch gets the ball enough, and Turbin is an elite pass game RB, who's also been in the system longer than C-Mike. The opportunity for carries just haven't been there. When he has gotten the carries, he's done nothing to suggest that his talent has been overrated.

Unless Gurley is the most talented player on the board, by a mile, and they are are also fully confident he will 100% recover from his ACL, then I don't think he would be the best pick.

seahawks08

Reaction score
I think they will draft Running back regardless. They need at least 2 years to prime someone if you go on the late rounds. You find someone with unique qualities and freakish enough and develop him. They will have to draft someone but I am not sure the rookie will see the field this year. Christine Michael and Robert Turbin will be or RBs if ML retires, if he comes back, he will get mist of the carries but we may also pass a little more to take the pressure of him and growing Russell.

hawksurething

Reaction score
Its amazing how many don't understand hawks oline gives the most penertration in the NFL. Onlky a few rare RBs can succeed behind it. Lynch,Jeremy hill, Ajayi.

RB has to be able to break tackles in the back field. Maybe Ingram. Or Coleman,abduallah,yeldon. That's a big maybe ?

Gurley, Gordon would do squat behind our line,those guys need space & have no wiggle.

Turbin is fast but has no wiggle which is why he has not done much. Michael can't switch hands well,& can't break many tackles in the back field.

Hawks get Ajayi in the 2nd round ! He is the perfect fit. If he goes Coleman would be next,the abdullah.etc...

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Why draft another RB project when Lynch likely signs. So many people complain we don't run Lynch enough.
If it's Lynch on 1st down, Lynch on second down then Pass on third.
When do these future prospects get their turn?
Cmike and Turbin are into year three when most RB are at their prime and they are still playing bridesmaid to Lynch.