Contract Extensions

Hawknballs

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":zieesodn said:
I have a feeling Rice is on the last year of his deal, no way they let him keep playing it out to it's last year. I like Rice, good player, but I don't think he's playing up to that level of $$$

Sidney Rice
2013 9,700,000
2014 9,700,000
2015 10,200,000

the problem with rice is that he hasn't earned all of his guaranteed money yet. Miller's deal was more front loaded, with this year being his big payday. Rice's on the other hand is back loaded. meaning we may let him go but it will be a decent hit.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Tical21":1mhgaolj said:
You have to keep Earl and Sherm, Okung, Wilson and Percy.

That would put five players at over 50% of the cap.

The 9ers are a year ahead of you in having to deal with this stuff, and I'll be honest: it ain't pretty, and the 9ers haven't even really had to deal with the harshest sting of it yet (that happens after this year). Winning the Super Bowl this year is pretty important for you guys IMO (as it was for the 9ers last year, and they tanked it), because once you have to start paying for your talent, things tend to equalize out pretty quickly. Of course every team is fighting to be in the position the Hawks get to be in this year (no small feat!), but it does get MUCH, MUCH harder to maintain as time goes on.

mikeak

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":37uqvbkw said:
I have a feeling Rice is on the last year of his deal, no way they let him keep playing it out to it's last year. I like Rice, good player, but I don't think he's playing up to that level of $$$

Sidney Rice
2013 9,700,000
2014 9,700,000
2015 10,200,000

and on top of that Harvin

2014: $11 million, 2015: $10.5 million, 2016: $9.9 million, 2017: $9.95 million, 2018: $11.15 million

So 2014 we will be spending $20 million on Harvin and Rice, $12+ million on Sherman - that is $32 million or more clearly put - 26.6% of the whole freaking salary cap is it stands in 2013.

This was the issue that many raised with the signing of Harvin. Not the draft picks - at the time he seemed worth it but the $67 million contract and what it did to the cap. If I look at the deal right he is only counting against the cap $4.5 million this year............. so you have to account for the increased cap hit that he will have next year

OP
OP
H

HereToRead

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":30591kha said:
seahawk 17":30591kha said:
Tate is losing money every game. Contract year, he needs to step up.

You do realize a receiver needs the ball to "step up"?

maybe he isnt open enough

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hawknballs":1ls89dvg said:
twisted_steel2":1ls89dvg said:

Sidney Rice
2013 9,700,000
2014 9,700,000
2015 10,200,000

the problem with rice is that he hasn't earned all of his guaranteed money yet. Miller's deal was more front loaded, with this year being his big payday. Rice's on the other hand is back loaded. meaning we may let him go but it will be a decent hit.

That's actually not correct re Rice's guaranteed money. The deal was originally 18.5 guaranteed. After this season he only has 2.4 million in dead money left to pay. If he is cut after this season we save 7.3 million.

http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Name= ... m=Seahawks

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
HereToRead":9a25mexj said:
therealjohncarlson":9a25mexj said:
seahawk 17":9a25mexj said:
Tate is losing money every game. Contract year, he needs to step up.

You do realize a receiver needs the ball to "step up"?

maybe he isnt open enough

Maybe he isnt getting open enough, but does Seahawk 17 know this? Seems like theres not enough info to make a conclusion that he isnt "stepping up"

C-Dub

Reaction score
It's going to be interesting considering some of the big contracts we have left after this year....
Sydney Rice - $9.7mil ($2.4mil dead money, $19.9mil left)
Zach Miller - $7mil ($2.0mil dead money, $13mil left)
Chris Clemons - $9.6mil ($0.0mil dead money, $9.6mil left)
Red Bryant - $8.5mil ($0mil dead money, $23.5 mil left)

Not a lot of older guys who's contracts will be up after this year...
Breno Giacomini - $4.24mil
Paul McQuistan - $3.75mil

Some of the big names and the money they'll command...
2014:
Brandon Browner - $2-4mil/year
Walter Thurmond - $4-7mil/year (if injury free 2013)
Golden Tate - $4-6mil/year
Doug Baldwin - $4-6mil/year
Michael Bennett - $6-8mil/year
O'Brien Schofield - $2-3mil/year

2015:
Earl Thomas - $7-10mil/year
Rich Sherman - $12-17mil/year
Cliff Avril - $6-9mil/year
KJ Wright - $3-6mil/year

And then the big contracts to prepare for....
2016:
Russell Wilson - $15-18mil/year
Russell Okung - $8-10mil/year
Marshawn Lynch - Goodbye to Beast Mode

We're going to see some fan favorites continue to leave. :180670:

*numbers are from spotrac and best guesses based on similar talent salaries

acbass

Reaction score
This is why I turn the salary cap off in Madden. To me, I think Sherman and ET need to be the priorities and I can deal with any loss it takes to keep them. This is the downside to finding so many gems late in drafts.

C-Dub

Reaction score
My guess for 2014...
Miller and Rice will be cut or significantly restructured to make room for Tate and Baldwin.

Clemons/Bryant will be cut depending on Bennett being resigned or younger guys developing this year.

Thurmond will be resigned cheap because of injury concerns. Browner would be odd man out if he doesn't take cheap deal.

ET and Sherman will be extended at the end of the year.

If Clemons is gone, Schofield will be resigned.

HawkHouse

Reaction score
Hawks46":1tejm9jg said:
...The Legion of Boom might take small discounts to play together. They're all smart guys, and they know the team won't be able to afford to pay all of them maximum market value ...

...Russell Wilson is the kind of guy that would take less money to keep a competitive team together.

A few of you have mentioned this notion and it's for real.

I can't find the link but I remember reading somewhere about Kam having a sit down with the DB's after he got his contract. It said that he talked to them about taking a bit less money when their time came for an extension and/or restructuring down the road in an effort to stay together as a unit.

I can only surmise that the point was that they are a special group and together they can be great, maybe the greatest, win Championships. (notice the plural)

I could easily see Russell Wilson doing it ...

And if they do take less when the time comes, it could trickle down as an example for others on the team.

mikeak

Reaction score
Boss I should make $13 million but I will take $12 million if you make some more guaranteed and another portion guaranteed for injury (like Brady)

That I expect to happen from a few guys

What won't happen is

Boss I will take $8 million instead of $13 million............

The payouts expected are still huge

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
HereToRead":11p2y0cb said:
Hawknballs":11p2y0cb said:
we have to re-sign sherman. Passing league, you don't let the best CB In the league walk away in FA. Sorrrrry.

with Revis pulling down 13.5 mil a season, that's where Sherman is heading. thats a huge bump

and Thomas isn't in need of a huge bump, but i think he might want one anyways, Top 3 safety in the league, wants to get paid like it.

Sherman's yearly salary will be less than Revis's. Revis took that high of an annual salary in lieu of having any guaranteed money in his deal. I expect Sherman's deal will be structured similar to Cam's, a solid chunk of guaranteed money, coupled with a healthy annual salary - estimated by some experts to be between 10-11 mil. per season.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Lynch is as good as gone. As much as it pains to to say it. Critical that we win it all THIS year, while he's on the roster. Winning after his departure would take some of the shine off the Lombardi for me.

Rice? If given the choice between retaining he or Tate, I don't think it should take too long to make that decision. We can have Tate for half the price with double the production, IMO.

The F tag is likely awaiting Mr. Sherman and unsure how we handle the situation between BB and Thurmond. If Browner is looking for top 10 DB money, I think he's in for a rude awakening. His skillset is dynamic but suited to the needs of THIS team, so after he goes shopping around, I think he'll see that we will offer a comparable deal and here he will have the most success. Thurmond will probably get as much attention (from other teams) as Browner, IMO.

One thing we know for certain. This FO will do what's best for the team, won't pull punches and (I hope and believe) are immune to popularity polls run by us fans.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I would really struggle with any one of Bennett, Sherman, and Thomas Leaving. Additionally, at least one of either Thurmond or Browner should be retained on shorter deals, if possible.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
If I am JS then I would not focus on WR's first. I'd try to resign Earl, Sherm, and the lines even if that requires getting rid of Tate and Sidney both. We can draft a WR and we also have Percy plus our offense is not pass first offense as we all know. Percy is a good fit because of YAC. We can easily replace our LB's and a few other positions but we can not replace Earl and Sherm. They should be our priority.

McGruff

Reaction score
mikeak":3f51mgsb said:
twisted_steel2":3f51mgsb said:

Sidney Rice
2013 9,700,000
2014 9,700,000
2015 10,200,000

and on top of that Harvin

2014: $11 million, 2015: $10.5 million, 2016: $9.9 million, 2017: $9.95 million, 2018: $11.15 million

So 2014 we will be spending $20 million on Harvin and Rice, $12+ million on Sherman - that is $32 million or more clearly put - 26.6% of the whole freaking salary cap is it stands in 2013.

This was the issue that many raised with the signing of Harvin. Not the draft picks - at the time he seemed worth it but the $67 million contract and what it did to the cap. If I look at the deal right he is only counting against the cap $4.5 million this year............. so you have to account for the increased cap hit that he will have next year

The Packer/eagle/Steeler model is 20% of the team makes 80% of the money. The key is in identifying who is that 20%. That roughly 10-12 players that make up your core while the rest are subject to rotation.

I would think we could agree on Sherman and Tomas being in that group. Kam obviously is by way of his offseason re-signing.

McQuistan will be replaced by Bailey. Breno will be replaced by Bowie.

The tough call will be with Browner and Thurmond.

HawkHouse

Reaction score
mikeak":2xzoqucg said:
Boss I should make $13 million but I will take $12 million if you make some more guaranteed and another portion guaranteed for injury (like Brady)

That I expect to happen from a few guys

What won't happen is

Boss I will take $8 million instead of $13 million............

The payouts expected are still huge

I'm not saying it would be that dramatic, I don't expect guys to be willing to take a 35% decrease in their offer, we could be surprised though.

If things like that do happen, and guys are willing to play for a bit less than what they could make elsewhere, I'm willing to bet that the FO would take care of them in other ways and/or down the road.

It seems that the FO has conducted themselves with integrity regarding players and money. Thus, other players could be more likely to trust in them to make right on those kind of things, seeing the way the FO hasn't screwed anybody.

Does anyone else think this or am I just kidding myself?

sturg78

Reaction score
I remember a time when our FO got the best left tackle, a top 5 Rb, and a top ten qb signed with some creativity. I'd imagine we will find a way to keep the core.

McGruff

Reaction score
Who are the top 10?

Russell Wilson
Russell Okung
Richard Sherman
Earl Thomas
Max Unger
Kam Chancellor
Bobby Wagner
Percy Harvin

That's eight . . . After that its really up in the air . . .

Latest posts