Copa America

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I'm not saying the USMNT should replace him..

I am saying (have said multiple times) I can't wait for the time when they can.

With an actual player by the way (Smurf) not just playing an empty roster spot

SeatownJay

Reaction score
So Uruguay gets bounced out by Venezuela and Suarez throws a tantrum because the coach kept him off the pitch when the team obviously needed an offensive option that wasn't Cavani. At least the Uruguayan Football Association got its wish and they no longer have to waste their time on this tournament and can get back to concentrating on WC qualifiers.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
So I know the US moves on with a win, and gets knocked out with a loss. What are the scenarios for a tie? I'm assuming we look pretty good on goal differential because of the Costa Rica game, is that the tie breaker?

SeatownJay

Reaction score
JSeahawks":ftx2uc7s said:
So I know the US moves on with a win, and gets knocked out with a loss. What are the scenarios for a tie? I'm assuming we look pretty good on goal differential because of the Costa Rica game, is that the tie breaker?
If they tie with Paraguay then they move on unless Costa Rica beats Colombia by 6 or more goals. So yeah, a tie pretty much clinches a spot on the quarters.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2ant8r5w said:
JSeahawks":2ant8r5w said:
If they tie with Paraguay then they move on unless Costa Rica beats Colombia by 6 or more goals. So yeah, a tie pretty much clinches a spot on the quarters.

I did read that if they get first place in their pod that they'd play their quarterfinal game in Seattle, that would be cool. I'm guessing that it would take a miracle for Costa Rica to beat Colombia though.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2ml9bgnw said:
http://www.mlssoccer.com/copa-america/standings

Suarez was right to be angry... and I imagine the manager was right to keep him off. He's injured and is worth millions of dollars to a much more important club. Barcelona, i'd guess, threw a bit of weight at the Uruguayans.

He was inactive............as in CAN'T play. So not sure why he had a right to be angry, unless it was at the manager or ball boys for not informing him he was inactive.

Just another example of Suarez's blinding idiocy. Fantastic player, but dude doesn't seem too bright.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1e874u8c said:
Uncle Si":1e874u8c said:

Suarez was right to be angry... and I imagine the manager was right to keep him off. He's injured and is worth millions of dollars to a much more important club. Barcelona, i'd guess, threw a bit of weight at the Uruguayans.

He was inactive............as in CAN'T play. So not sure why he had a right to be angry, unless it was at the manager or ball boys for not informing him he was inactive.

Just another example of Suarez's blinding idiocy. Fantastic player, but dude doesn't seem too bright.

Blinding idiocy that he wasn't told by his manager that he wasn't put on the active roster?

You spend much time on a tournament team? Players need to be informed if they are placed on active status or not. They all share the same bench. Its not like the Prem league where the actives are on the bench and the inactives sit off in street clothes.

Manager blew this one.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":20tq95ny said:
Sgt. Largent":20tq95ny said:
Uncle Si":20tq95ny said:

Blinding idiocy that he wasn't told by his manager that he wasn't put on the active roster?

You spend much time on a tournament team? Players need to be informed if they are placed on active status or not. They all share the same bench.

He knew damn well he wasn't playing, that's the only question Tabarez answered all week in the press............and he said over and over "Suarez isn't playing."

This was Suarez throwing a tantrum because he thought he could play. So sorry, I'm not giving him props or blaming his manager for not informing him he was inactive. He knew, which means the tantrum was nothing more than "hey look at me be an idiot and make this about me, not the squad."

Do we really need to make a list of all the time Suarez was a dumb ass?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
You can make a list of all the wonderful things he does as well, off the field, and see whats longer.

They warmed him up for gods sake. Literally motioned him to get up.. and for 15 minutes he did so. Clearly there was miscommunication. You don't warm someone up if he's not on the active roster. It was a dumb move. The players don't see the team sheets. Saying in the press "Suarez won't play" is far different than leaving him off the available subs list. Suarez threw a tantrum because he believed he could play. Absolutely. And in being informed to start preparing for a match only to find out he wasn't actually active?

Jesus.. seems simple to me. Inactive players don't vest and start their dynamics if they can't play at all. I'm not going to argue who knew what. But i've been in plenty of tournaments as a player. You are told ahead of time if you're available or not. Clearly Suarez was not. And if he was, and they made him go through dynamics, then that's equally dumb.

Chapow

Reaction score
JSeahawks":114cugml said:
I did read that if they get first place in their pod that they'd play their quarterfinal game in Seattle, that would be cool. I'm guessing that it would take a miracle for Costa Rica to beat Colombia though.

Colombia is awfully damn good.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3uibcob8 said:
You can make a list of all the wonderful things he does as well, off the field, and see whats longer.

They warmed him up for gods sake. Literally motioned him to get up.. and for 15 minutes he did so. Clearly there was miscommunication. You don't warm someone up if he's not on the active roster. It was a dumb move. The players don't see the team sheets. Saying in the press "Suarez won't play" is far different than leaving him off the available subs list. Suarez threw a tantrum because he believed he could play. Absolutely. And in being informed to start preparing for a match only to find out he wasn't actually active?

Jesus.. seems simple to me. Inactive players don't vest and start their dynamics if they can't play at all. I'm not going to argue who knew what. But i've been in plenty of tournaments as a player. You are told ahead of time if you're available or not. Clearly Suarez was not. And if he was, and they made him go through dynamics, then that's equally dumb.

1. I've seen plenty of inactive players running up and down on the sidelines testing out their injuries even though they know they're not playing. So that doesn't mean he thought he was playing.

2. There are roster sheets handed out prior to the match, AND hung in the locker rooms so players can see who's active and who's inactive.

3. Even if for some reason he didn't know, he still acted like an ass and made this about him. I'd be pissed if Dempsey or one of our players did that showing up the coach and making it about them. It's being a poor teammate.

I know we're used to coddling our superstars, especially in soccer, they can pretty much do whatever they want. But it's wrong, knowing he was inactive or not.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
if you are Suarez and play for Barca you dont run the sideline at the Copa America to test out your injury. Don't be daft. Think of the consequences. You certainly don't start doing it in the 75th minute of a match and without trainer supervision.

Rosters are not always handed or posted in the locker rooms. Again, in the Premier league they are distributed and announced through team's media. In a tournament, often you are told during warm ups.

I don't see his reaction as a big deal. he gestured at his manager and smacked the dugout. he made it about him because he wants to play and try and help his team win? Which is really about the team. that team would be so lucky. His manager was poor in communicating directly with his player.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":31vm1dr6 said:
I don't see his reaction as a big deal. he gestured at his manager and smacked the dugout. he made it about him because he wants to play and try and help his team win? Which is really about the team. that team would be so lucky. His manager was poor in communicating directly with his player.

Tabarez communicated plenty, both directly and to the press. Pull up any press conference of his this week and you'll hear him say over and over "Suarez isn't playing."

For the 3rd time, this is about Suarez throwing a hissy fit because he thought he could play, not because he didn't know.........thus me thinking he's a punk.

btw, I'm a Liverpool fan, so I have love for Suarez's play, dude's a brilliant soccer player. But he has a 10 cent head and attitude.

Chapow

Reaction score
Suarez is a helluva strange dude. We're talking about a grown man that expresses his frustrations by BITING other grown men.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Yeah, i just don't see it that way. He can say whatever he wants to the press. Do you believe managers and coaches?

He obviously was not clear enough with the player. Suarez clearly believed he was being warmed up to play. How did he get there if his coach told him personally he was not active? If Suarez thought he could play, and was warmed up to do so, only to find out he was not active, then he should rightly be upset. You and I can disagree on the reaction. Eitehr way, you tell players personally what their role will be heading into matches like this, and often why they are or are not included in the starting 11, 7 subs or cast to the 2nd row with a suit and tie on. In just watching all this play out, the manager made the mistake of assuming Suarez knew his roster plans, or simply failed to do the proper thing before the match.

Unless you're suggesting Suarez knew the whole time then waited until the most inopportune moment to voice his displeasure. I don't believe that happened.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1rooy2g1 said:
if you are Suarez and play for Barca you dont run the sideline at the Copa America to test out your injury. Don't be daft. Think of the consequences. You certainly don't start doing it in the 75th minute of a match and without trainer supervision.

Rosters are not always handed or posted in the locker rooms. Again, in the Premier league they are distributed and announced through team's media. In a tournament, often you are told during warm ups.

And threw his shoe onto the pitch. :)

But you're right. He went through the entire pre-game warm-up routine with the starters, he was taping his ankles up on the bench and began warming up with the other subs. If you're the coach and you've been told by your association not to risk your best player coming back from a hamstring injury then it's absolutely your responsibility to make 100% sure the player knows he's not playing and to not even let him participate in the training stuff. Let him test his hamstring during an off-day training session.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I didnt see the shoe!

I saw him throw his vest though.

I mean Suarez is a petulant child. We all know that. But it's part of what makes him a brilliant player. I'd suggest that any top player who was treated the same way would have some sort of reaction. Maybe not tossing a shoe, but something...

The pre-game and during game warmups is what I was confused by. Players don't risk further injury going through the same dynamics the rest of the team are going through to prepare for match play. Something was miscommunicated.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
John Brooks was amazing tonight. On to the quarterfinals. If Costa Rica can somehow manage to beat Colombia, then the US wins the group and will play in Seattle.