Could Gus Bradley come back home?

253hawk

Reaction score
Why? So that we can give up 40 yards on 2 plays in about 10 seconds and lose on a FG? No thanks.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Same two words I used on another post with the same topic-"Hell No"

themunn

Reaction score
Bradley definitely doesn't get fair cop around here. We finished 1st in scoring defense in 2012. In fact, we only allowed 14 points more in 2012 than we did in 2013, with what was definitely a weaker roster. And yeah we had a couple of late meltdowns - we all remember Atlanta after all. But then again, we were 10 points up in the 4th quarter of the superbowl and we lost that game too.

Dan Quinn had the luxury of Bennett and Avril (and yeah Avril went out in the SB, but Clemons missed the Atlanta game too, to the extent where we had to go into that game with a rookie Irvin and off-the-street-that-week Patrick Chukwurah as passrushers.

You can point to Bradley's record at Jacksonville, but they were 30th in the league in points and yards allowed in 2012 and now are showing signs of real progress as they're only 7th in yards allowed this year. Yes, their points allowed is abysmal, but much of a part of that is due to the completely abject play from the offense.

I wouldn't get rid of Richard to bring him in as I don't particularly think Richard has done anything wrong, but I certainly wouldn't complain if Richard was offered a head coaching job somewhere and we brought Bradley back in, as I don't think the difference between him and Quinn is all that notable.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
themunn":2dtjqd44 said:
Bradley definitely doesn't get fair cop around here. We finished 1st in scoring defense in 2012. In fact, we only allowed 14 points more in 2012 than we did in 2013, with what was definitely a weaker roster. And yeah we had a couple of late meltdowns - we all remember Atlanta after all. But then again, we were 10 points up in the 4th quarter of the superbowl and we lost that game too.

Dan Quinn had the luxury of Bennett and Avril (and yeah Avril went out in the SB, but Clemons missed the Atlanta game too, to the extent where we had to go into that game with a rookie Irvin and off-the-street-that-week Patrick Chukwurah as passrushers.

You can point to Bradley's record at Jacksonville, but they were 30th in the league in points and yards allowed in 2012 and now are showing signs of real progress as they're only 7th in yards allowed this year. Yes, their points allowed is abysmal, but much of a part of that is due to the completely abject play from the offense.

I wouldn't get rid of Richard to bring him in as I don't particularly think Richard has done anything wrong, but I certainly wouldn't complain if Richard was offered a head coaching job somewhere and we brought Bradley back in, as I don't think the difference between him and Quinn is all that notable.

Quinn was more aggressive and created a hell of a lot more turnovers than Bradley and Richard.

chris98251

Reaction score
Richards name on list in Jacksonville, doubt they go to the same well twice, but his name is on the list of guys people are looking at.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
He'll get a DC gig somewhere else. He still has clout for being a DC here and Kyle Shanahan is likely getting a HC gig soon so I can see Gus linking up there.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
chris98251":2bqi0xow said:
Richards name on list in Jacksonville, doubt they go to the same well twice, but his name is on the list of guys people are looking at.
I hope you're right. Not a fan of Richard at all. Never have been.

Seafan

Reaction score
I expect him to head to a college gig. He has the age/personality/temperment to be an excellent college coach.

It's sad for him since his team has actually played better than their record, they've lost a lot of close games. They have talent on the roster, like other HC failures it's about finding a franchise QB. I'd like the Hawks to steal their punter and Chris Ivory.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":purpie1p said:
themunn":purpie1p said:

Quinn was more aggressive and created a hell of a lot more turnovers than Bradley and Richard.

The defense that got us a 43-8 Super Bowl win was led by Bradley.

Quinn is probably better (which is why he's not fired), but Bradley isn't horrible.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1nx5avfg said:
seahawkfreak":1nx5avfg said:
themunn":1nx5avfg said:

The defense that got us a 43-8 Super Bowl win was led by Bradley.

Quinn is probably better (which is why he's not fired), but Bradley isn't horrible.

You are right, Bradley was not horrible, in fact I think he was good. I think Richard is coming into his own as well.

You know Quinn was our DC for the 2013-2014 season,,, right? I'm going to assume you are implying that Bradley's defense carried over to the 2013 season. In which case, I still disagree with regards that it is PC's ideology with more aggression when Quinn was coach.

Seymour

Reaction score
Interesting. Pete in his presser today mentioned that he has "already communicated" with Gus since his release. Did not indicate as to what about, but there was a verbal exchange of some type between them.

Largent80

Reaction score
Would love to have Gus back in some form. He's a good coach. He had crap to work with in Jax.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
I could see Carroll bringing him back on staff in some fashion....

1) Bradley was/is an very good Linebackers coach.
2) He is one of Monte Kiffin's favs - and we know how high Pete values Kiffin's opinion
3) He knows Pete's system as good as anyone.....

The only hesitation would be putting Richard into a place where he feels awkward or second-guessed. Would be interesting to see how this unfolds....is there any reason why Pete could not bring him in now?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":1j1ch473 said:
Would love to have Gus back in some form. He's a good coach. He had crap to work with in Jax.

That was Bradley's fatal mistake, taking the first job that came his way in JAX.

He should have waited like Quinn for a better situation with an owner, GM and good QB in place to succeed. Never had a chance in Jax.

Pete would most definitely make a position for him if he doesn't get hired elsewhere...........but I don't think that happens. I betcha he's snapped up quick after the SB when teams start hiring new coaches.

LolaRox

Reaction score
This is will be interesting to see if he does end coming back and in what role.

Isn't Rocky Seto already Asst. head coach and helping Kris with the defense? What would they need Gus for?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That's awesome. All this time I thought it was Quinn who was the D coordinator for the Super Bowl win. Congrats Gus :mrgreen:

SeaChat

Reaction score
My only question when I heard he might be available was " why haven't we already hired him, like yesterday", we could sure use his help right now. If the majority of the defensive players were of the mind that his return would be helpful, I'd have to believe that the Seahawks head office were in communications with him when the first whisper of that possibility was relayed to them. Either his return is a done deal as we speak, or one side or the other didn't think it was the best move.

We need him back like now already if he's coming back. I'm not knocking any of our current coaches but something ain't quite what it was the last few years with the LOB.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I don't know Gus' contract details, but I'm pretty sure he couldn't join our team this season. He's still being paid by the Jags through at least the end of the year. If he has any more years on his contract after this season, he might decide to sit out at least a year because if joined, say, the Seahawks next year, any salary he received from Seattle would be deducted from what Jacksonville owes him. Thus he'd be working for free in all practical purposes. But that's just if his contract with the Jags was extended beyond this season.

Latest posts