Damned if they do, damned if they dont

hawknation2018

Reaction score
kidhawk":3tqpke6h said:
adeltaY":3tqpke6h said:
I wanted them to trade down and didn't want them to take an RB early and it looks like a few others here and many on other sites agree.

A lot of sites agreed that we had an awful draft in 2013 as well.

We did have a horrible 2013 draft, led by Christine Michael.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2r8jzwyx said:
Hasselbeck":2r8jzwyx said:
oldhawkfan":2r8jzwyx said:
So they trade down and pick up a 3rd while trading a 7 for a 6. They then use the newly acquired 1st to pick up a RB, which no one should argue is a huge need.

Do you mean no one should argue that RB was not a huge need? Because if you're saying RB wasn't a huge need you must have been in a coma last season when our leading rusher was Mike Davis with a scorching 240 yards.
You must have been in a coma if you think Davis, Carson, and Mckissic were the root cause of our poor running game. Our poor running game was a direct result of really bad line play. Our line got no push, and was bullied at the line of scrimmage. We consistently got beat in our assignments, and we consistently had defenders in the backfield as soon as the ball was snapped. We have that same offensive line plus a journeyman in Fluker, and an unproven Fant. Penny is going to have the same struggles that our current stable of running backs had unless that line play is addressed.

It just so happens that several quality offensive lineman were available at 18. We passed on them for a running back, a position mind you that is quite possibly one of the deepest in this NFL draft. Offensive line on the other hand has a steep drop off after the top prospects are off of the board.

Let me reiterate this, it wouldn't matter if our RB stable consisted of a in their prime Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, Ladanian Tomlinson, etc -- they would still have troubles behind our offensive line in its current state of affairs. We have to do something here, I'm not convinced Penny is going to magically fix poor line play. That is why most people are upset with this pick.
Bulls eye!

adeltaY

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2lysy0ov said:
adeltaY":2lysy0ov said:
Hasselbeck":2lysy0ov said:
kidhawk":2lysy0ov said:
A lot of sites agreed that we had an awful draft in 2013 as well.

But....... our 2013 draft was awful. The last really good draft this team has had was in 2012.

Even if he meant 2012, that line of thinking is very reductive. Just because we had a draft the media thought was bad turn out to be amazing does not mean a pick being panned now will turn out to be good.
Quite true, but on the flips side, not you, nor anyone else here on .NET that's ragging on the Rashaad Penny pick won't be a fantastic pick either.
Grading low on a pick in ANY Draft is foolhardy.

I'm not grading the pick based on the player though. This isn't me regurgitating Priscos rating because I think Penny is bad. I just think taking an RB that early isn't the best move as a philosophical thing. I think Penny could be a great player, but if our OL remains crap he will also look bad.

By your logic, grading high on a pick could be just as foolhardy.

Bryce84

Reaction score
brimsalabim":vtyt5prt said:
Spin Doctor":vtyt5prt said:
You must have been in a coma if you think Davis, Carson, and Mckissic were the root cause of our poor running game. Our poor running game was a direct result of really bad line play. Our line got no push, and was bullied at the line of scrimmage. We consistently got beat in our assignments, and we consistently had defenders in the backfield as soon as the ball was snapped. We have that same offensive line plus a journeyman in Fluker, and an unproven Fant. Penny is going to have the same struggles that our current stable of running backs had unless that line play is addressed.

It just so happens that several quality offensive lineman were available at 18. We passed on them for a running back, a position mind you that is quite possibly one of the deepest in this NFL draft. Offensive line on the other hand has a steep drop off after the top prospects are off of the board.

Let me reiterate this, it wouldn't matter if our RB stable consisted of a in their prime Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, Ladanian Tomlinson, etc -- they would still have troubles behind our offensive line in its current state of affairs. We have to do something here, I'm not convinced Penny is going to magically fix poor line play. That is why most people are upset with this pick.
Bulls eye!

I have seen a lot of people pointing these things out, and the one glaring oversight in that stance is the effect a new offensive line coach may have on what is actually a pretty decent offensive line (Brown/Pocic/Britt/Fluker/Ifedi and Fant mixing in somewhere). Is it an elite unit? No, but you don't create those overnight and I don't believe its as bad of a group as it was coached to look last year. I recall a video discussing the negative effect Cable's coaching had on Duane Brown after he got here and I don't think that's insignificant. Maybe you don't believe the coaching can have much of a difference, and that's fair for you to do, we're all speculating at this point. The guys running the show seem to have confidence in the coaching changes playing a big part though.

I wasn't a huge fan of the pick initially as I didn't know much about him, but ultimately after our running game looking lost since losing Marshawn and trying to find a bunch of diamonds in the rough at RB, I'm glad they went out and got the guy they REALLY wanted and felt can solidify the position for the foreseeable future, while picking up a much needed 3rd round pick in the process.

chris98251

Reaction score
Our O line sucks in the way Cable wanted them to block and assignments, when we changed it up to a more power scheme all of a sudden our backs had holes. Brown even looked less then average by the time Cable had him playing his way versus how he played in Houston which uses a ZBS but a power scheme not the Gibbs scheme Cable preaches.

Solari could build on that power ZBS and you have to remember Gibbs system used quick smaller and agile guys, Cable deviated grabbing Athletes and they were bigger and not as agile, Gallery was a can't miss tackle, yet he failed in Cables system and became a Guard is just one example. Fluker is a power guy, they are not going to be cute with schemes, just take their guy and eliminate him from making a play and let the back read cut and go. We have plenty of beef, Pocic should have put on a good 20 pounds I would think of muscle and that will help also, Ifedi won't have to think as much and can just play.

Schotty uses motion to set up coverage reads making Russell's job easier, it will also give the Wilson the ability to make audible's to where they won't be. It will be a lot more challenging for Wilson but he should have a safer pocket if power ZBS gives us running ability and oh yeah Schotty will use a FB, just hope it's not Madden, he is way to slow and isn't good at blocking on the move and with leverage.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Pocic was the worst run blocker on the line last year. He was neither powerful nor explosive. He's put on a lot of weight, so that will undoubtedly help.

Fluker is a much better run blocker when he lines up on the outside at OT vs. smaller defensive ends. He has strong hands and does not job sealing off blocks on the outside. As a guard, he just clogs up space and is not explosive enough to make much of an impact in the run game.

Brown, Britt, and Ifedi are pretty good run blockers.