Darnell Savage to test free agency

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
I remember quite a few of us wanting him during his draft year when the Hawks traded down with GB who unfortunately took him with our pick. What do you guys think?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
He's an upgrade over Diggs for sure, but he has a lot of the same downsides as Diggs. He's also progressively gotten worse over the years. He really struggled in run defense, lots of Packer fans are just meh about the guy.

Regardless, safeties play a huge role in MacDonald's defensive scheme and our guys have been liabilities lately. In MM's defense, safeties have to be able to do a little bit of everything. The traditional duties and designation of FS and SS need not apply here. His safeties do everything from function as an extra linebacker, to being kicked out to the nickel position. I don't think Savage fits that ethos.

I have a sneaking suspicion that MM is going to kick Witherspoon to the Hamilton role, as Witherspoon was already doing something similar here. In fact I'm almost sure Witherspoon is going to be a safety come September.

Seahawker

Reaction score
He's an upgrade over Diggs for sure, but he has a lot of the same downsides as Diggs. He's also progressively gotten worse over the years. He really struggled in run defense, lots of Packer fans are just meh about the guy.

Regardless, safeties play a huge role in MacDonald's defensive scheme and our guys have been liabilities lately. In MM's defense, safeties have to be able to do a little bit of everything. The traditional duties and designation of FS and SS need not apply here. His safeties do everything from function as an extra linebacker, to being kicked out to the nickel position. I don't think Savage fits that ethos.

I have a sneaking suspicion that MM is going to kick Witherspoon to the Hamilton role, as Witherspoon was already doing something similar here. In fact I'm almost sure Witherspoon is going to be a safety come September.
Hints of Deion, hints of Easley.
Not in annoited terms, but in big shoes to fill terms.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Hasn't been good as a pro.

Julian Love is 25 years old and coming off of his first Pro Bowl season and is on a very team friendly deal.

Draft and develop unless similar opportunities for great bargains present themselves. I don't think that Savage is that.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
I've been thinking along these lines myself. FS Love and SS Witherspoon with CB MJ, Woolen, Brown.

Resign Brooks, add Queen at LB. Resign Williams, with Nwosu coming back and this D is starting to look like something! ...but still need depth.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Hints of Deion, hints of Easley.
Not in annoited terms, but in big shoes to fill terms.
I think a more apt comparison for Witherspoon is Troy Polamalu. Carroll himself even compared him to Polamalu when he was drafted. Even last year he was used in a role where he moved around and was asked to do many things, including sometimes kick out to safety.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I've been thinking along these lines myself. FS Love and SS Witherspoon with CB MJ, Woolen, Brown.

Resign Brooks, add Queen at LB. Resign Williams, with Nwosu coming back and this D is starting to look like something! ...but still need depth.
Spoon at safety? God no, he's phenomenal in coverage as a corner. And Jackson looked horrible much of last year.