Dear Pete

stack55

Reaction score
Pete has been known for being the nice guy.

He has never been one to run the score up on other teams
And we usually win those games when we have a good lead,
BUT this one came back to bite us.

He needs to get more of a killer instinct. Never take your foot
Off the gas. I would of thought IMO that after this many years
In the league that he would have this in his head.

Until he does, we’re going to see more games like this.

BASF

Reaction score
stack55":27bdexyf said:

How exactly did you want him to keep his foot on the gas?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
stack55":1j08qqlv said:

Make up your friggin minds. Do you want "foot on the gas" or do you want a more conservative offense that actually would have protected the lead?

Running the ball and more conservative gap discipline would have won the game. That ain't "foot on the gas," bub.

I swear you people are not watching the games even a little bit

hoxrox

Reaction score
Fans mention "stepping on the gas" a lot but I'm not sure what that means.

The offense was brilliant in the first half. The drive to end that half was a thing of beauty.

What they should have done in the second half was play ball control, with long drives to take time off the clock.

Instead they "stepped on the gas" and drove right into a ditch.

This team is usually good at finishing when they have the lead. I'm going to chalk it up to growing pains with the new OC.

Elemas

Reaction score
Hmmm. Foot on the gas could mean several things like going for it on 4th and one or not throwing to the sidelines only on short passes (you know, conservative and likely preventing a turnover as you refuse to throw up the middle with an incredible slot guy), or maybe it’s running Prevent and not being worried about giving up 80 yards in 40 seconds.

Not saying OP is right but, there’s some merit there.

For a team that has Lockett, Metcalf, Everett, and you gotta throw Uncle Will in there because he’s a legit beast, I find it strange that so many fans think a conservative run game behind our line is key. Feels like the same fans that backed the Penny pick, and blindly supported him. Even to this day (although few and far between)…

Carson’s a good back but, he’s no Henry. Alex Collins? This is the Seattle version of Collins (not Baltimore where he was effectively used). Dallas? Sure….maybe Homer? Marshawn is retired.

Not knocking the run game but, it takes balance. So maybe it’s not foot on the gas but it’s also not ground and pound because this team does not have that in them. If you’ve been watching, that’s very apparent.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
How about actually adjusting to the opponent? Or using the TE, short passing game, running the damn ball?
2nd half on Sunday looked WAY too much like last year imo. The offensive play calling goes from very creative, fun to watch against the Colts.........to looking boring and predictable on Sunday.
There is NO excuse for that team not putting that game away. Back to back 3 and outs with a chance to go get a game winning drive. Throw some damn short passes and eat up some clock. No reason you can't throw to Everett and DK on short crossers. 13 carries for Carson? Collins runs for what 26 yards? Never got another carry in the game. Unacceptable.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Elemas":12n22frp said:
Hmmm. Foot on the gas could mean several things like going for it on 4th and one or not throwing to the sidelines only on short passes (you know, conservative and likely preventing a turnover as you refuse to throw up the middle with an incredible slot guy), or maybe it’s running Prevent and not being worried about giving up 80 yards in 40 seconds.

Not saying OP is right but, there’s some merit there.

For a team that has Lockett, Metcalf, Everett, and you gotta throw Uncle Will in there because he’s a legit beast, I find it strange that so many fans think a conservative run game behind our line is key. Feels like the same fans that backed the Penny pick, and blindly supported him. Even to this day (although few and far between)…

Carson’s a good back but, he’s no Henry. Alex Collins? This is the Seattle version of Collins (not Baltimore where he was effectively used). Dallas? Sure….maybe Homer? Marshawn is retired.

Not knocking the run game but, it takes balance. So maybe it’s not foot on the gas but it’s also not ground and pound because this team does not have that in them. If you’ve been watching, that’s very apparent.

The team does have a lot of weapons on offense. It's more a matter of how they are utilized.

It's not really about ground and pound the rock more. It's about spreading the ball around and utilizing the entire field.

Balance and efficiency is key.

HawkFreak

Reaction score
Dear Pete,
Please let SW design, run, execute the offense entirely the way he wants to.
Let's try that for a little.
Thank you.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
hoxrox":3loymn4a said:

The offense was brilliant in the first half. The drive to end that half was a thing of beauty.

What they should have done in the second half was play ball control, with long drives to take time off the clock.

This team is usually good at finishing when they have the lead. I'm going to chalk it up to growing pains with the new OC.

This team is not good at finishing with the lead, they are okay at holding on by the skin of their teeth with a lead.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
HawkFreak":1yc7303d said:
Dear Pete,
Please let SW design, run, execute the offense entirely the way he wants to.
Let's try that for a little.
Thank you.

Explain how that isn't the case right now. Please, tell me how you know the offensive coordinator isn't running the offense. Love to hear it.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Elemas":11pfhjyk said:

Situationally, it IS key, because it takes time off the clock.

Up two scores in the second half? Good situation to end the game as soon as humanly possible.

No way, no how should a team struggling through the air end with 15 rushing atttempts despite holding a significant lead for much of the game. Disagree? I'm sure you loved the Falcons second half of their Super Bowl against the Pats, then.

Also, behind our line? What does that even mean? Does a pass game not suffer from a bad line in an even more pronounced way than the run game does?

HawkFreak

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":36rs79k3 said:
Explain how that isn't the case right now. Please, tell me how you know the offensive coordinator isn't running the offense. Love to hear it.

Fair enough. Although I'm just not convinced he has been given the freedom he would need to make the changes many would like to see. But if the product we saw on offense this past week was all SW - if it was what he designed and wanted to see and achieve in an offensive scheme and game plan - then I'm thinking they made a mistake and took 0 steps forward in regard to Offense.

hoxrox

Reaction score
JustTheTip":z9yxvrov said:
hoxrox":z9yxvrov said:

This team is not good at finishing with the lead, they are okay at holding on by the skin of their teeth with a lead.

I'd say they are usually better than okay.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/jtheaps9/status/1257343371019943938[/tweet]

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
hoxrox":26l0zcie said:
JustTheTip":26l0zcie said:
hoxrox":26l0zcie said:

I'd say they are usually better than okay.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/jtheaps9/status/1257343371019943938[/tweet]

Throw in 12 consecutive home opening wins and you have two long steaks that were waiting to end. I always get worried when these streaks get so long, you just know it will crash at the worst time.

hawk45

Reaction score
What the...

I will admit Pete has been a little too conservative in the past and kept teams in it, but this game was the polar opposite of that phenomemon. Pete had a 2 TD lead at home and the offense kept chucking it deep for 3 and outs. We were beaten because we inexplicably kept going for it all on low percentage plays up by 2 scores and instead let the other team back in.

At least people complaining about lack of TE usage and lack of middle of the field and short routes seem to have watched the game. People complaining about Peteball have either distorted the definition beyond all recognition or were watching some other game.

Elemas

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2utb86qs said:
Elemas":2utb86qs said:

Situationally, it IS key, because it takes time off the clock.

Up two scores in the second half? Good situation to end the game as soon as humanly possible.

No way, no how should a team struggling through the air end with 15 rushing atttempts despite holding a significant lead for much of the game. Disagree? I'm sure you loved the Falcons second half of their Super Bowl against the Pats, then.

Also, behind our line? What does that even mean? Does a pass game not suffer from a bad line in an even more pronounced way than the run game does?

What you mentioned are situational events. I agree with you. There’s no argument there. But, the Hawks approach, especially when they have a lead, is beginning to feel like the movie Ground Hog Day.

RW was 22-31 with a 128.8 rating. I don’t call that struggling through the air. What I do notice is a wash, rinse, repeat of what looks like very predictable decision making at the worst possible times. But, we’re just fans here….only my opinion.

OP
OP
S

stack55

Reaction score
This thread got down to blaming the offense that wasn’t good.
My initial thoughts were that the defense is what changed. We
Went from playing them tight to backing off 10-12 yards with our
Linebackers and safeties even further back and they just threw
The ball under the coverage and drove right down the field.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
stack55":27edm1iw said:
This thread got down to blaming the offense that wasn’t good.
My initial thoughts were that the defense is what changed. We
Went from playing them tight to backing off 10-12 yards with our
Linebackers and safeties even further back and they just threw
The ball under the coverage and drove right down the field.

Henry ran for 182 and had 2 4th quarter TDs and we're worried about coverage?

HawkinNY

Reaction score
BASF":1awaqao3 said:
stack55":1awaqao3 said:

By not playing prevent defense when up by as little as 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
HawkinNY":2wtvefp0 said:
BASF":2wtvefp0 said:
stack55":2wtvefp0 said:

By not playing prevent defense when up by as little as 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you define prevent defense?

Latest posts