Defenders can no longer “land on the passer“ during pass

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Time for a cuddle guys..Don't want to hurt anyone!

mrt144

Reaction score
Chapow":3k9wqrmm said:
JGfromtheNW":3k9wqrmm said:
Another rule set up that will require refs to make really hard decisions in important situations and continue to make the game harder on defenses. Wonderful.

This is why this rule is a horrible idea. It will be very difficult to officiate fairly and consistently. They need to be doing less of this, not more. The refs already have a job that's impossible to get right much of the time due to the complexity of the rules and the nature of the game.

And LOL at the flag football comments. While the NFL isn't as brutally violent as it used to be, it's still pretty damn far from flag football.

Shhhh, dont let these couch potatoes figure out how fun ultimate frisbee is to play and watch.

mrt144

Reaction score
Fade":bbmw6xvt said:
If Russell Wilson wasn't so incredibly fun to watch, I would already be out, this is ridiculous and I don't envision myself watching this league much longer.

I have no idea how it will effect ratings, but the casuals out number us and most of them won't care if it helps there fantasy stats, so many new fans have come along the last 10 yrs or so do not even realize how much better the game was in the 90's into the mid 00's. 1994-2007 was the league's prime, The 70's & 80's were cool too in their own way. it's all been downhill since the new CBA, and whenever it was when the league inacted the defenseless player rules.

I would take great pleasue in watching the league have even lower ratings than it did last year. The NFL can die in a fire.
2Fmediagiphycom2Fmedia2FUhpGRl1Rg8qQw2Fgiphy

I think part of the problem is that theyve done patch work 'fixes' that require a higher level of judgment to enforce. The NFL has been simply awful in anticipating what changes they make actually do, like the whole kickoff debacle.

There are aspects of the game I appreciate more from that era but the sheer athleticism of todays players is astounding.

I dont really want to see more Ricardo Lockette injuries because not only does it slow the game down to 20, 30 minute standstill, its some dudes life being turned upside down for being in the wrong place at the wrong time on something that most would agree didnt serve an integral purpose.

mrt144

Reaction score
fenderbender123":3l1edpo1 said:
JGfromtheNW":3l1edpo1 said:
Another rule set up that will require refs to make really hard decisions in important situations and continue to make the game harder on defenses. Wonderful. Can't wait to see drives extended from QBs taking regular shots just after releasing the ball for an incompletion.

Let's just get the flag football going already.

This.

Heaven forbid we put the accountability on the actual quarterback to make sure he gets rid of the ball soon enough so that a defender can't legally hit them. Why, that might make it more difficult to gain yardage on offense, and we just can't have that. Hell no.

Bring back the Wishbone and Option!

chris98251

Reaction score
I look at it this way, they just gave the officials another phantom call to steer games.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
mrt144":l70qy6kr said:
Chapow":l70qy6kr said:
JGfromtheNW":l70qy6kr said:
Another rule set up that will require refs to make really hard decisions in important situations and continue to make the game harder on defenses. Wonderful.

This is why this rule is a horrible idea. It will be very difficult to officiate fairly and consistently. They need to be doing less of this, not more. The refs already have a job that's impossible to get right much of the time due to the complexity of the rules and the nature of the game.

And LOL at the flag football comments. While the NFL isn't as brutally violent as it used to be, it's still pretty damn far from flag football.

Shhhh, dont let these couch potatoes figure out how fun ultimate frisbee is to play and watch.

I know. I watched some of it on Stadiumtv Channel 35.4 here in boise.

mrt144

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":3rrxnvpm said:
mrt144":3rrxnvpm said:
Chapow":3rrxnvpm said:
JGfromtheNW":3rrxnvpm said:

I know. I watched some of it on Stadiumtv Channel 35.4 here in boise.

Same! I was flipping around and came across it here in Seattle and lost like 4 hours of my life. It scratched that off season itch.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":7aerisas said:
I look at it this way, they just gave the officials another phantom call to steer games.
Damn right that will happen.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Chapow":3lpibu0o said:
JGfromtheNW":3lpibu0o said:

for now

Look at the rule changes over the last 20 years. What's in store for the league the next 20?

Multimillion dollar class action lawsuits? ratings drops? decrease in youth participation? more rule changes to soften the impacts? (that was just the last few years)

If you're not worried about the future of the league then you should be

mrt144

Reaction score
Uncle Si":o1m6cjly said:
Chapow":o1m6cjly said:
JGfromtheNW":o1m6cjly said:

for now

Look at the rule changes over the last 20 years. What's in store for the league the next 20?

Multimillion dollar class action lawsuits? ratings drops? decrease in youth participation? more rule changes to soften the impacts? (that was just the last few years)

I think the most damning thing will be youth participation. We already have parents directing their kids to other sports that have less chance for brain injuries. But how are you going to call a parent wrong for looking out for the long term health of their kid? You can call em soft and whatnot and try and brow beat them with a toughness plea but push comes to shove you still wont get an ever growing percentage of parents to put their kids at risk for a game that has perilous few discrete short term benefits.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2fjrj6hk said:
Chapow":2fjrj6hk said:
JGfromtheNW":2fjrj6hk said:

for now

My problem is at some point with all these rule changes the game of football ceases to be football, and if ratings drop and people stop going? It's because of these rule changes, game length, stoppages, reviews, on and on.

I get that we need to make the game safer, but IMO football is no different than other hazardous jobs where you understand the risk, yet are willing to do the work because you love it and/or it pays a lot. Fishing boats in Alaska, underwater welding, the military, etc.

Ask the players, they DON'T like these rule changes. They just want to hit and play the game they love for the most money possible.

I truly believe if we keep going down this road, the game of football will be ruined and will eventually disappear. Or cease to be entertaining for the vast majority of fans.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
I noticed in some tackling drills by the Seahawks DL, that they appeared to be practicing keeping their faces up on tackles, as expected, but also on bag drills, they were turning the bag and rolling to the right of the bag.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3lwcm02p said:
Uncle Si":3lwcm02p said:
Chapow":3lwcm02p said:
JGfromtheNW":3lwcm02p said:

for now

My problem is at some point with all these rule changes the game of football ceases to be football, and if ratings drop and people stop going? It's because of these rule changes, game length, stoppages, reviews, on and on.

I get that we need to make the game safer, but IMO football is no different than other hazardous jobs where you understand the risk, yet are willing to do the work because you love it and/or it pays a lot. Fishing boats in Alaska, underwater welding, the military, etc.

Ask the players, they DON'T like these rule changes. They just want to hit and play the game they love for the most money possible.

I truly believe if we keep going down this road, the game of football will be ruined and will eventually disappear. Or cease to be entertaining for the vast majority of fans.

But there isn't a pipeline for loggers or alaskan fishermen that starts when kids are in 5th or 6th grade. Generally jobs like that are jobs of last resort to some extent not entertainment jobs that are highly lucrative. Like I said in the above post above its going to be a situation where the floor falls out and whatever the product looks like will be played by a dwindling number of folks.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
mrt144":13ggwjfm said:
Sgt. Largent":13ggwjfm said:
Uncle Si":13ggwjfm said:
Chapow":13ggwjfm said:

for now

But there isn't a pipeline for loggers or alaskan fishermen that starts when kids are in 5th or 6th grade. Generally jobs like that are jobs of last resort to some extent not entertainment jobs that are highly lucrative. Like I said in the above post above its going to be a situation where the floor falls out and whatever the product looks like will be played by a dwindling number of folks.

That said, the amount of dwindling folks shall probably end up changing the dynamic of actual play and/or fandom. Without which there will be less demand for said interaction amongst group activity. Ending up with the total dissolution of said sporting activity by costs depleted by said players that are not providing adequate entertainment value. Thus fishing, camping, hunting, mowing the lawn, volleyball on sand, and other entertainment ventures shall consume time and energy.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well there could be a evolution of people that play the game because they love it not want to retire from work after 5 years, what the game was about a lot back in the 40's and 50's, players also had full time jobs as well. Thye may not need that, and we may not have as many freak athletes. But maybe they will pull back the pussyfication once the attendance starts to drop. It is a choice people make to do, the dangers of it are blatantly evident. If Mommy doesn't want Junior to play fine, the guy next door will get better for it by getting more playing time and probably eclipse the young guy who's parents want him to play soccer and really wasn't into it anyway.

Fade

Reaction score
If you pay money for an NFL ticket or merch at this juncture you're a sucker.

After watching players being called down after being touched standing up on a punt return, and players getting flagged for tackling, but of course no flag on ragdolling the QB.

It's Over
F2Fmediagiphycom2Fmedia2Fw1PFAJXOEbNS2Fgiphy

Uncle Si

Reaction score
chris98251":2luj8ti0 said:
Well there could be a evolution of people that play the game because they love it not want to retire from work after 5 years, what the game was about a lot back in the 40's and 50's, players also had full time jobs as well. Thye may not need that, and we may not have as many freak athletes. But maybe they will pull back the pussyfication once the attendance starts to drop. It is a choice people make to do, the dangers of it are blatantly evident. If Mommy doesn't want Junior to play fine, the guy next door will get better for it by getting more playing time and probably eclipse the young guy who's parents want him to play soccer and really wasn't into it anyway.

Attendance drops as interest drops. And I dont think attendance issues have anything to do with rule changes. Quite the opposite, I think rule changes are a reaction to dwindling interest.

When interest drops at the highest level, it drops at the youth level.

These kids will have a lot more choices than soccer to go and utilize their athletic abilities. And we are already seeing it. There might not be a "guy next door" to benefit from the space left. But also, a lack of competition there is not going to make one kid better. I think that's the biggest issue the NFL is facing. You have a generation of fans who grew up with the game passing on. Their kids (us) are holding an interest but their is burnout. The generations behind are finding something different to spend their time and money on.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I think it will be something drastic within a decade, however. Either way, the NFL is a multibillion dollar industry. They have the resources.

mrt144

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":euhnzp5d said:
mrt144":euhnzp5d said:
Sgt. Largent":euhnzp5d said:
Uncle Si":euhnzp5d said:
for now

That said, the amount of dwindling folks shall probably end up changing the dynamic of actual play and/or fandom. Without which there will be less demand for said interaction amongst group activity. Ending up with the total dissolution of said sporting activity by costs depleted by said players that are not providing adequate entertainment value. Thus fishing, camping, hunting, mowing the lawn, volleyball on sand, and other entertainment ventures shall consume time and energy.

No doubt. The activity ink has to spill somewhere.

chris98251

Reaction score
The problem is cost also, When I played Baseball or Basketball and Football the costs to sign up for a league were like 8 dollars, 8 dollars, and 20 dollars. That's from 8 to 12 years old, Pony League was like 12 bucks.

No you have all star, and out of season leagues, preferred leagues etc in almost every sport for kids that seem to have a gift for the game and are not just learning and or participants that can cost parents 500 or more dollars, we are killing it at a early level by excluding those that are not well off. As far as camping and fishing and all that I think that's a minority as well, and we know that mowing the lawn is a lost skill in todays postage stamp lots and apartment living.

Gamin and sitting on their ass seems to be more prominent, kids don't ride bikes and get dirty like in years past also, I am talking in general. population explosion and safety make it riskier, pick up games and street football and guys going to a filed and playing pick up baseball doesn't happen as much either. Schools and parks worry about liability of the field conditions, they want to save them for the elite programs that will pay for usage in a lot of places.

If you don't live in a very country area like Kansas and Indiana or some such place where population density is still low you have all these things happening that were not 30 and 40 years ago when people developed their interests in things.

mrt144

Reaction score
chris98251":3gamxt4n said:
The problem is cost also, When I played Baseball or Basketball and Football the costs to sign up for a league were like 8 dollars, 8 dollars, and 20 dollars. That's from 8 to 12 years old, Pony League was like 12 bucks.

No you have all star, and out of season leagues, preferred leagues etc in almost every sport for kids that seem to have a gift for the game and are not just learning and or participants that can cost parents 500 or more dollars, we are killing it at a early level by excluding those that are not well off. As far as camping and fishing and all that I think that's a minority as well, and we know that mowing the lawn is a lost skill in todays postage stamp lots and apartment living.

Gamin and sitting on their ass seems to be more prominent, kids don't ride bikes and get dirty like in years past also, I am talking in general. population explosion and safety make it riskier, pick up games and street football and guys going to a filed and playing pick up baseball doesn't happen as much either. Schools and parks worry about liability of the field conditions, they want to save them for the elite programs that will pay for usage in a lot of places.

If you don't live in a very country area like Kansas and Indiana or some such place where population density is still low you have all these things happening that were not 30 and 40 years ago when people developed their interests in things.

FWIW, I'm 34 and did just about every sport besides basketball well into high school but also cultivated a huge love of games, video/board/athletic or otherwise at the same time. There seems to be too much rigidity in cross discipline appreciation and participation. Like people are too willing to exclude and define themselves by one thing that they go all in on rather than developing a huge repertoire of interests that apply the same underlying framework of practice, coaching, teamwork and camaraderie.

One could argue that hyper specialization and exclusion is the outcome of structural changes and the end game lucrativeness of that specialization but it's a shame to me that people don't see the commonality between a game like football and a game like Overwatch or Fortnite and being able to appreciate both on similar terms.