Defense is missing...

hawker84

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":102ox4w8 said:
I have been saying it for years...

We need a penetrating DT. We get no push up the gut. We need that pocket collapser.

We get that, our edge rushers become lethal.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. I was not impressed with Reed at all this year, definitely a step down from Mebane. Let's just chalk that up to rookie growing pains and hope he balls out next year. But we desperately need an interior pass rusher for third downs, someone that can get constant pressure up the middle and get QBs off their spot.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
yes. our defense was fast against the Broncos. one reason was our DL rotation. Avil and Bennett were not starters that year. They were a part of the nascar package. well rested and fast. now, their workload has more than doubled. they're exhausted by the fourth qtr.

Irvin and Smith are fast 4.5 forty LBs. Sure KPL can match their speed, but that's it.

lack of quality depth is one reason the defense is in its current state, but that's the by product of the salary cap.

we could go after players like Avil and Bennett because RWs salary was so low. not anymore.

mrt144

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":1cqfai08 said:
bighawk":1cqfai08 said:
They were physical and took no mess. The question is to these guys is do they really want to be great?

Do you really think this team is playing with no heart. You must not be watching. The difference between many wins and losses is quite often a play or two. With the injuries we had and our offense sputtering was just to much for them.

It's also kind of a ridiculous simplification that effort and desire dictate outcomes. No, this is a strategic game, strategy matters.

Schadie001

Reaction score
The difference is rotation. In our SB winning year, our guys rotated a lot. Now Avril and Bennett play almost the whole game. They are human and rushing play in and play out they get tired. We must have a rotation of 4 to 5 guys that all play similarly and can keep each other fresh. We do also need one big guy (who was McDonald now with TB) to rush up the middle and take the C/G making them have to double team. We only rushed 4 back then because those 4 guys were always fresh and had legs. Not so much the past couple of years.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I'm more concerned with the D's inability to force opponents off the field on 3rd down than I am with an inconsistent and underperforming O. It's easy to see the reasons why the O isn't working but the D has the Lions share of the team's resources and still isn't geting it done as well as they did in the past.

I don't believe Richard is as capable a DC as Quinn was and the NCB is not showing up. The D is still a good D, but opponents now have answers that used to not be so obvious.

The team is still strong against the run but the pass D is now not as good as it used to be.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3cfm3rnq said:
I have been saying it for years...

We need a penetrating DT. We get no push up the gut. We need that pocket collapser.

We get that, our edge rushers become lethal.
Bingo

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
84380543.jpg

bighawk

Reaction score
I do question some of these guys heart and desire when guys get there money then they are content because they accomplished there goal. I am talking about being historically great, purple people eaters great, steel curtain great, no name defense great. I have an issue with them not game planning for each team not using the same defense for each team. Thats what makes the Patriots great. :stirthepot:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
While Campbell is great, he's a DE not a DT. Plus, he made $11m this season. No way he'll sign here for less than that. Signing him may cause problems with Bennett (since he won't be the highest paid DL on the team as he is now).

Boom84

Reaction score
crosfam":c8hpcfzh said:
I would bet the house (not really) that we are gonna draft heavy Defense (refresh) to add speed and youth to that side of the ball. We seem fairly set on RB, they just need to stay healthy. Pete just endorsed letting the OL develop. Maybe a big receiver, and some special teams help a return man (to keep Locket alive as a WR). DB, DE, DT, and even LB may be priorities. We may get a TE in the draft as I think Willson will get a big contract to go elsewhere and start (really).

Totally agree, as the team needs an infusion of youth to replace some of the stars beginning to decline. Also, it will reinvigorate the same passion this group used to have before winning the championship. This year's draft is especially ripe with talent at the LB and CB positions.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The sore loser stuff seemingly after most losses by someone on the D is getting real old. Just looks bad overall.
And it was nice to see Kam bring it up. Grow up and show some class in winning AND losing. They certainly don't mind pumping their chests out when they win.

adeltaY

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3p9wqy08 said:
While Campbell is great, he's a DE not a DT. Plus, he made $11m this season. No way he'll sign here for less than that. Signing him may cause problems with Bennett (since he won't be the highest paid DL on the team as he is now).

I believe Campbell is a 3-4 DE, which is similar to a 4-3 DT. He plays either the 3 tech or 5 tech. Irrespective of those designations, he plays on the defensive interior and isn't usually an edge rusher. Also, he's getting up there in age and won't get a huge payday. Might be able to snag him at 10M APY... should keep Bennett happy with his 11M.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Campbell would be a tremendous addition to the team but I have some concern the team would pay him what he wanted.

He'd be the perfect 3 tech the team has been looking to add to the pile.

Imagine Avril, Bennett, Cambell, and Clark bringing it? There'd be a lot of QBs crapping their pants.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I agree that DT is a major need, been asking us to spend our first round pick on one since we passed up Fletcher Cox and Drafted Bruce Irvin. This is a good year to bring in a Vet DT. I'd pay Poe just about anything he wanted. I could not imagine our line with Avril, Poe, Bennett, and Clark.

Dontari Poe
Kawann Short
Tyson Alualu
Jonathan Hankins
Nick Fairly
Brandon Williams
Beanie Logan

hawkfan68

Reaction score
adeltaY":1u9mkae9 said:
hawkfan68":1u9mkae9 said:

I believe Campbell is a 3-4 DE, which is similar to a 4-3 DT. He plays either the 3 tech or 5 tech. Irrespective of those designations, he plays on the defensive interior and isn't usually an edge rusher. Also, he's getting up there in age and won't get a huge payday. Might be able to snag him at 10M APY... should keep Bennett happy with his 11M.

You're correct. I forgot that the Cards ran a 3-4 defense. I thought the initial intent of bringing McDaniel was to have him replace Bryant as a 5 tech. I guess they went away from that. They really haven't used that formula since SB48.

Latest posts