Defensive MVP?

Steve2222

Reaction score
Why are a lot of people saying JJ Watt? His season was pretty modest and his team was the worst in the league. What am I missing???

And the only correct answer for DPOY would be a member of the no doubt best defense in the NFL, on the best unit in the NFL, Seattles secondary known as the Legion of Boom. And that rep should be Earl Thomas.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
TJH":1zth9i55 said:
FlyingGreg":1zth9i55 said:
Watt's team lost 14 straight games. 14. He's awesome, but that's not "Most Valuable".

And you're putting those losses on him? THat's the dumbest thing I've ever read here and that's saying a lot.

He might have had the two best back-to-back years by a dlineman in NFL history.

Can you respond without the bs perhaps?

Anyways...calm down sparky. I'm not putting those losses on him. The award is Most Valuable. It's hard to justify a player winning it from a 2-14 team. Pretty simple train of thought, actually.

Since you are so strongly committed to this....how about a nice wager on Watt winning it or not? Winner gets to choose the others signature for a week.

Like I said, Watt is awesome. He's also not MVP.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Steve2222":3vvxf27k said:
Why are a lot of people saying JJ Watt? His season was pretty modest and his team was the worst in the league. What am I missing???

And the only correct answer for DPOY would be a member of the no doubt best defense in the NFL, on the best unit in the NFL, Seattles secondary known as the Legion of Boom. And that rep should be Earl Thomas.

Exactly. It's because they listen to the media telling them he was awesome this year. His 2012 season was ridiculous. 2013? Not the same.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I think kechley will win. Where can I find the thrown at statistics. Arguing Sherman vs Revis with a Coworker TB fan

TJH

Reaction score
Steve2222":k4ik8t4x said:
Why are a lot of people saying JJ Watt? His season was pretty modest .

What are you basing that assumption on? You could not be more wrong.

TJH

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":31sylp93 said:
Exactly. It's because they listen to the media telling them he was awesome this year.

Or maybe because we ave the ability to form our own opinions, and those might just differ from yours. Sorry, I know that might be scary for you.

TJH

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2aka4jm4 said:
Since you are so strongly committed to this....how about a nice wager on Watt winning it or not? Winner gets to choose the others signature for a week.

I'm not sold on him winning, I'm absolutely sold on him winning it over any Seahawk. I DO believe that he deserves it though.

seahawkswin1

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1d8sb4tm said:
TJH":1d8sb4tm said:
FlyingGreg":1d8sb4tm said:
Watt's team lost 14 straight games. 14. He's awesome, but that's not "Most Valuable".

And you're putting those losses on him? THat's the dumbest thing I've ever read here and that's saying a lot.

He might have had the two best back-to-back years by a dlineman in NFL history.

Can you respond without the bs perhaps?

Anyways...calm down sparky. I'm not putting those losses on him. The award is Most Valuable. It's hard to justify a player winning it from a 2-14 team. Pretty simple train of thought, actually.

Like I said, Watt is awesome. He's also not MVP.

It may not have been 14 straight loses, but Cortez won this award with the same record. He was that dominate. Now I haven't watched Watt all season game in game out, but he sure looked dominate the few games I was lucky enough to watch him play.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
MVP stands for most valuable player not just who has better stats. Yes Watt is a great player but his value drops greatly when there is no team and results (wins) to back it up. Think about how much Earl and Sherm pump up our other players and jack them up to play even harder. I say there needs to be more than just stats to this award. Offensive MVP too.

Steve2222

Reaction score
TJH":k8iysw1t said:
Steve2222":k8iysw1t said:

He had 80 tackles, 10.5 sacks, and 4 FFs. His team was 2-14.

How does that equate to DPOY?!?!?!?

seahawkswin1

Reaction score
Kixkahn":3rq6as90 said:
MVP stands for most valuable player not just who has better stats. Yes Watt is a great player but his value drops greatly when there is no team and results (wins) to back it up. Think about how much Earl and Sherm pump up our other players and jack them up to play even harder. I say there needs to be more than just stats to this award. Offensive MVP too.

By this way of thinking then Cortez shouldn't have been the MVP because his team only won two games same as Watt. For me I was more terrified of Watt then I was of Quinn. Quinn Is no slouch but Watt scared the hell out of me. I don't think Watt is the MVP, but I can see where a case can be made for him.

1. Sherman
2. Quinn
3. Keuchley

Would be my top three in that order. I also agree that Thomas will probably take away enough votes from Sherm for it to go to one of the other guys.

TJH

Reaction score
Steve2222":11k26dus said:
TJH":11k26dus said:
Steve2222":11k26dus said:

His team's record is irrelevant unless we're talking about quarterbacks. Additionally, if you think stats alone demonstrate the value of a 3-4 DE you have a lot to learn about football.

However , if you want to talk about stats, 80 tackles is actually tremendous for a lineman and leads the league. Even more impressive is 84 total sacks, hits and hurries. That number is astronomical and completely unheard of for a 3-4 end. Again, most important is all the things he does that do not show up on a stat sheet.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Steve2222":1erq9dlm said:
TJH":1erq9dlm said:
Steve2222":1erq9dlm said:

Watt had 80 combined tackles and 65 solo tackles.

Quinn has 19 sacks, 7 forced fumbles, 57 combined tackles and 50 solo tackles.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Steve2222":2kffrbxe said:
TJH":2kffrbxe said:
Steve2222":2kffrbxe said:

Cortez Kennedy won in 1992 being on a 2-14 team. Sure it helps to be on a winner, but it's not unheard of.

Watt won't win because he's on a bad team, he won't win because his stats aren't even close to what he did last year OR Quinn's.

Steve2222

Reaction score
TJH":2h8v3jkq said:
Steve2222":2h8v3jkq said:
TJH":2h8v3jkq said:
Steve2222":2h8v3jkq said:

His team's record is irrelevant unless we're talking about quarterbacks. Additionally, if you think stats alone demonstrate the value of a 3-4 DE you have a lot to learn about football.

However , if you want to talk about stats, 80 tackles is actually tremendous for a lineman and leads the league. Even more impressive is 84 total sacks, hits and hurries. That number is astronomical and completely unheard of for a 3-4 end. Again, most important is all the things he does that do not show up on a stat sheet.

I put his record indicating that he put up good numbers on a terrible team. If he put up great numbers on a terrible team, sure give him the award.

I understand exactly what the role of a 3-4 defensive end is. Yes they're not supposed to be sack artists. And no one is denying that Watt is one of the best players in the NFL.

But to say his season was better than Mathis, Quinn, Kuech, Sherm, or ET is absolute ludicrous and just piggybacking off of his unreal 2012 season.

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
TJH":1d9dt716 said:
It's not going to be a Seattle player.

Both Quinn and Watt deserve it more, but it also might go to Keuchkekhkhly because he's become a bit of a media darling.

Why would Watt deserve it more than Sherm or Earl? His stats are half of that of last year's. I'd say it's more between Quinn or Mathis.

If I were to pick a Seattle player, it would be Earl. No team has thrown to a seam or post route in recent memory because of him. He dictates the opposing passing game.

main

Reaction score
I vote for Earl Thomas.

In my opinion, the defense depends more on Earl Thomas than Richard Sherman.

sutz

Reaction score
Voters for this tend to focus on the 'flashy' stats like sacks. I think our LoB guys won't be considered by many.

Rocket

Reaction score
Depending of course on the actual process for selecting a DPOY, the size of the fan base per candidate will undoubtedly be taken into account.

formido

Reaction score
Just a reminder that ET has nothing to do with covering up Sherman's mistakes or helping him be more aggressive or anything like that. Sherman was beat for 2 TDs this year, and ET wasn't there to stop it. I don't recall ET ever breaking up a pass that Sherman was beat on this year. If Seattle wanted our corners to have help, we'd play Cover-2 a lot more.

What makes ET awesome is that he is partly responsible for allowing us to bring one safety up for better run, screen, and short pass coverage, which is a chief weakness of many teams and where those teams leak a lot of pass defense value on otherwise fantastic coverage units. However, the quality of our corners is also partly responsible for this as the staff is comfortable mixing in many deep 3rds calls.