Detroit is getting a bit cocky....

AgentDib

Reaction score
Stafford isn't perfect, but I think you are crazy to doubt his heart. He threw this game winning TD pass against the Browns the play AFTER he received a season ending shoulder injury. He was also nominated for the 2011 comeback player of the year later by playing through a fractured finger and high ankle sprain coming back from the shoulder injury.

[youtube]J85aGnneQ7g[/youtube]

davidonmi

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":3f5o1vsc said:
Comparo:

Matt Stafford Passing = 343/561 for 4,040 Yards (61.1 Comp. %); 7.20 Avg.;19 TDs; 12 INT; 7 Fumbles; 85.4 Rating
Rushing = 64 yards, 2 TD

Russell Wilson Passing = 268/427 for 3,236 Yards (62.8 Comp. %); 7.58 Avg.; 20 TDs; 6 INT; 5 Fumbles; 95.7 Rating
Rushing = 842 yards, 5 TD
But, but, but, (insert dumb narrative here)

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
olyfan63":2uya2eo2 said:
I'm very interested to see the Packers-Lions game. These are not your father's Lions.
I think they actually have a shot in Lambeau.
I do also but it really depends on Stafford. If he's just safe they will be in it but sometimes he still tries to do too much and it gets him in trouble.

NINEster

Reaction score
kearly":3ksqhnxd said:
Since safeties only rarely cover man to man, it's silly for them to brag about interceptions. If a QB throws a pick to a safety, it almost always means the QB screwed up badly and the safety was the benefactor of that mistake.

Brian Russell is one of the worst safeties I've ever seen, and he has a 9 interception season on his resume.

I don't buy that as a legitimate argument.

Is this an excuse for Earl's lackluster season in the INT dept?

We get it that he's the best S in the league. Just no need to downplay INT stats for an S just because teams throw at "lesser safeties" and not against Earl. :mrgreen:

Antrel Rolle alone accounts for a rather high percentage of all interceptions thrown by Alex Smith the last few seasons. Given how risk averse the SOB is, you'd have to give credit to the safety, no?

Ronnie Lott and Ed Reed are two HOF safeties with plenty of picks that came from skill not just luck. People were intimidated to run routes near Lott while Reed had exceptional instincts for the ball that defensive great Bill Belichick can never stop marveling at. So the fact that they still got LOTS of picks despite the intimidation to throw in their vicinity says a lot.

Troy Aikman used to make mince meat of the 49er secondary in '92 and '93 but by '94 threw a ton of picks their way. Did he suddenly become garbage at QB? A lot of picks were coming from Merton Hanks, their free safety.

I don't get why so many here are always so defensive about players on other teams claiming to be the best or the threat that there are maybe secondary players that could challenge Seattle. I could easily make the claim that the 49ers secondary was outplaying the Seahawks secondary the first half of this season, and it would stand. A secondary without the big name elites like Thomas and Chancellor, and of course Sherman. If they really are the greatest of all time, I don't think you should allow the performance to drop because Mebane and Wagner were hurt.

The one thing Seattle does best in this league is play as a cohesive unit. They have some really good players but their whole plays better than the sum of the parts. The coaching scheme and energy has a lot to do with it.

They seem to be able to do it more consistently than other teams.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":j2xno5r2 said:
drdiags":j2xno5r2 said:
I think most athletes think highly of themselves, it makes them who they are. Caldwell is going to back them since he is their HC but in a stats oriented world they make a case for being effective in their roles. The thing that is untold is that QBs feel they can challenge them where with Seattle they aren't taking those deep shots.

That is the tough thing to add into the equation. The non-attempts. Detroit does have a better defense in the secondary versus the past few years. The mystery is why the offense is having erratic performances. Most likely injuries but those guys have been a talented crew for awhile now. I sense the Seahawks will end up playing them this year.

God I hope not!! I live in Michigan. My Husband's best friend is a die-hard, my BIL is a die-hard, ALL our close friends that we love to death are die-hards. I won't be able to watch the game amongst any of them if that occurs. NO! NO! NO!! :pukeface:

I still think it will be Seattle vs Green Bay at the Clink for the NFC Championship. Oh and about those 2 pilgrims in Detroit saying theyre the best safety duo because they have more ints? Ok.

Yes Mr Chancellor was brought to Seattle for his interception abilities :sarcasm_off: , he needs to pick it up a notch. Seattle has the #1 DEFENSE in the NFL.

EDIT : Who is this NINESTER ?

bigtrain21

Reaction score
morgulon1":53tebalg said:

He is a 49ers fan that thinks Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, and Kam Chancellor help form a secondary in which, and I quote, the "whole plays better than the sum of its parts".

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
We had alot of INT dropped out of our players hands, last year the ball bounced our way almost every opportunity, not so much this year. Also most teams aren't going deep against our guys, they aren't taking the shots like they use to, that's the difference from this year and last. Teams are finding out that you better run the ball and throw low risk passes than turn over the ball to win against the Seahawks, but that's also a double edge sword if you can't get into scoring range.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
RunTheBall":nzstv17f said:
Tate again took shots at Wilson today saying "it's nice to have a QB that can make all the throws and is pretty accurate too".
Where did he say that

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
RunTheBall":1g7zftky said:
Tate again took shots at Wilson today saying "it's nice to have a QB that can make all the throws and is pretty accurate too".

Somebody tell Stafford to keep Tater away from this!
4-kelly-hall-matthew-stafford-kelly-hall-bikini-1.jpg

Rat

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":2hcunkfk said:
God I hope not!! I live in Michigan. My Husband's best friend is a die-hard, my BIL is a die-hard, ALL our close friends that we love to death are die-hards. I won't be able to watch the game amongst any of them if that occurs. NO! NO! NO!! :pukeface:
Haha, I can sympathize with you on that. I moved to Grand Rapids recently, and everyone I know here is a Lions fan. If this matchup occurs, I can't see myself getting invited over to any of their houses.

bigDhawk

Reaction score
drdiags":zf7o69a4 said:
...The thing that is untold is that QBs feel they can challenge them where with Seattle they aren't taking those deep shots...

My thoughts exactly. The interceptions tell me QBs are not scared of challenging Detroit's safeties over the middle whereas QBs don't even attempt those throws against our safeties.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":37hh2pha said:
RunTheBall":37hh2pha said:

Somebody tell Stafford to keep Tater away from this!
4-kelly-hall-matthew-stafford-kelly-hall-bikini-1.jpg
Stafford a pretty big boy he should be able to handle Tate if it comes to that. :mrgreen:

morgulon1

Reaction score
bigtrain21":h4g9a11y said:
morgulon1":h4g9a11y said:

He is a 49ers fan that thinks Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, and Kam Chancellor help form a secondary in which, and I quote, the "whole plays better than the sum of its parts".

Thank you Sir ! :)

rideaducati

Reaction score
bigtrain21":ah2oi3l1 said:
morgulon1":ah2oi3l1 said:

It's true though. Having all pros at three of four secondary positions are part of the reason the secondary is the best. Having just one of them on the team would definitely not be as good as having all of them on the team. Niner fans thinking that none of them are very good on their own shows their ignorance. Seahawks and niner fans alike KNOW that the niners would have a better defense with ANY ONE of these guys. If they try to tell us anything else, we KNOW they're lying.

Latest posts