Diggs: "Taking Time Off"

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
In his post game interview, the ever to the point, zero cliche Diggs made a statement about the team in general not being good enough to "take time off." What do you think he meant by that? Are some of the players not putting the full commitment in as needed during practice time and/or throughout the games?

Diggs is cut from the old cloth of work hard, play physical, leave it all out there. Reading between the lines I think he is saying the team, especially on defense, is just not physical enough. They aren't "laying the wood" so-to-speak. From what we were used to with the LOB Era, it's easy to see this defense just isn't that tough, scaring zero offenses. Thoughts?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I love that he's setting the example that this just isn't good enough. And even with all the new parts, the defense has to be better. I'm hoping a few others come out and say the Defense needs to wake up.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
I'm trying to discern if the problem is players not taking to the new scheme fast enough, or of we have a bunch of guys not executing the plan like they practiced. During the broadcast it was mentioned that Pete was upset with defensive players ad-libbing on the field and basically going rogue vs the plan and playing without discipline.

The results seem to match what the reporter said. That was going into the half, and the first ATL series after halftime looked good, then they regressed again.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
What's more damning is that I heard (I didn't notice myself, I rarely notice defensive formations during the games) they actual played more 4-3 defense in the game, abandoning the 3-4 they were supposed to transition to. That tells me they are at the point they are trying anything to see what works. Basically, this season is a 17 game preseason.

kidhawk

Reaction score
In his post game interview, the ever to the point, zero cliche Diggs made a statement about the team in general not being good enough to "take time off." What do you think he meant by that? Are some of the players not putting the full commitment in as needed during practice time and/or throughout the games?

Diggs is cut from the old cloth of work hard, play physical, leave it all out there. Reading between the lines I think he is saying the team, especially on defense, is just not physical enough. They aren't "laying the wood" so-to-speak. From what we were used to with the LOB Era, it's easy to see this defense just isn't that tough, scaring zero offenses. Thoughts?

I wonder if he was talking about Shelby Harris? I know Harris was out on Sunday and the report had him listed as Not Injury Related (Personal Reasons).

Fade

Reaction score
The truth is the Seahawks are a smoldering pile of rubble. They have been mismanaged and poorly coached for a long time.

They've gotten worse little by little every year for going on 9 years with few exceptions. Like a frog in a pot fans didn't notice they were being boiled until it was too late.

A Top 5 draft choice rookie QB isn't turning this thing around. A regime change should've happened at least 3 years ago, but people were cool with winning 10 games and getting bounced quickly in the playoffs with a HoF QB in his prime while ignoring all of the persistant issues. Here we are now, the chickens have come home to roost, and the persistant issues are still here.

Pete has turned the Seahawks into the Lions, who ironically are going to put a whoopin' on them this Sunday. So are they even the Lions at this point?

knownone

Reaction score
I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I'll repeat it. The Seahawk's defensive struggles have as much to do with personnel decisions as anything. For example, according to PFF, DJ Reed is a top 10 corner, and Griffin is in the top 15. Both guys are roughly the same age as Michael Jackson, who, although showing promise, continues to make game-changing mistakes. Imagine either of them opposite Woolen, and you have a formidable young secondary. Similarly, go through the roster, and you'll find several instances where we've moved on from good players and replaced them with young inexperienced players or career journeymen.

This season, it feels intentional, like the front office is choosing the future benefits of developing young players over maximizing our chances to win today. And our struggles were compounded by the injury to Adams, who the defense was designed to feature. So the team is still scrambling to adjust to losing him, which is why we still see Jones, who is not a better player than Neal but is a better fit in this scheme.

Finally, I don't think the team anticipated Geno being this good to start the season. And it would be easier to write this off as a transition year if both sides of the ball struggled at the start. Instead, the defense stands out because the offense continues to look good enough to win games while the defense struggles.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think Diggs is questioning the commitment of some of the dude's on defense, on and off the field.

Seems like after the big Denver win too many defensive players acted like they just won the SB, and haven't been putting in the work since that Diggs knows is desperately needed to get to where they need to go.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
The truth is the Seahawks are a smoldering pile of rubble. They have been mismanaged and poorly coached for a long time.

They've gotten worse little by little every year for going on 9 years with few exceptions. Like a frog in a pot fans didn't notice they were being boiled until it was too late.

A Top 5 draft choice rookie QB isn't turning this thing around. A regime change should've happened at least 3 years ago, but people were cool with winning 10 games and getting bounced quickly in the playoffs with a HoF QB in his prime while ignoring all of the persistant issues. Here we are now, the chickens have come home to roost, and the persistant issues are still here.

Pete has turned the Seahawks into the Lions, who ironically are going to put a whoopin' on them this Sunday. So are they even the Lions at this point?
This state of affairs must be really frustrating for you.

Rat

Reaction score
I'd just write most of that off as typical athlete platitudes.

Diggs probably is upset though. He's a stand-up guy who could have had his share of suitors who are a hell of a lot closer to being contenders, but decided he believed in this team, or just really likes the area or something, and re-upped with us. We're fortunate to have his leadership.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
This season, it feels intentional, like the front office is choosing the future benefits of developing young players over maximizing our chances to win today. And our struggles were compounded by the injury to Adams, who the defense was designed to feature. So the team is still scrambling to adjust to losing him, which is why we still see Jones, who is not a better player than Neal but is a better fit in this scheme.

Finally, I don't think the team anticipated Geno being this good to start the season. And it would be easier to write this off as a transition year if both sides of the ball struggled at the start. Instead, the defense stands out because the offense continues to look good enough to win games while the defense struggles.
Agree. Maybe as it should be in a true transition year.

FO trying to time a peak defensive squad with the potential development of the QB-to-be?

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
What's more damning is that I heard (I didn't notice myself, I rarely notice defensive formations during the games) they actual played more 4-3 defense in the game, abandoning the 3-4 they were supposed to transition to. That tells me they are at the point they are trying anything to see what works. Basically, this season is a 17 game preseason.
I wouldn't read too much into that. They still straddle the 4/3-3/4 line like they always have, but instead of leaning 4/3, they lean more towards 3/4. It will look more like one than the other from game to game depending on opponents

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I'll repeat it. The Seahawk's defensive struggles have as much to do with personnel decisions as anything. For example, according to PFF, DJ Reed is a top 10 corner, and Griffin is in the top 15. Both guys are roughly the same age as Michael Jackson, who, although showing promise, continues to make game-changing mistakes. Imagine either of them opposite Woolen, and you have a formidable young secondary. Similarly, go through the roster, and you'll find several instances where we've moved on from good players and replaced them with young inexperienced players or career journeymen.

Our offense went 6 whole quarters without scoring a point. Our offense isn’t exactly killing it either. They scored a whole 3 points in the second half of the Atlanta game.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Not sure if you caught it during the game. Announcer (dunno who) says Pete rounded up the defence and said something akin to: "We practice things for a reason. Stop ad-libbing, and go out and do what we have taught you to do."

Methinks that the DC or someone is not kicking enough ass. I would love some older guys around to smack them around a bit.

Slackass execution is what it's sounding like. This ain't COVID dudes. You can't phone it in - a la Elon.

When the coach says "do what I told you" and you don't do it - well, something's gotta give.

knownone

Reaction score
Agree. Maybe as it should be in a true transition year.

FO trying to time a peak defensive squad with the potential development of the QB-to-be?
Yeah. The FO is evaluating what they have and seeing which young players will stick around for the next QB. Given our current defensive struggles, I wouldn't be shocked if they went the 2018 49ers route, resigned Geno, and prioritized defense in the next draft. Most people assume QB with the first pick, but Will Anderson Jr. might sway Seattle if they are not in love with a QB, much like Bosa and the Niners.

hoxrox

Reaction score
I'm trying to discern if the problem is players not taking to the new scheme fast enough, or of we have a bunch of guys not executing the plan like they practiced. During the broadcast it was mentioned that Pete was upset with defensive players ad-libbing on the field and basically going rogue vs the plan and playing without discipline.

The results seem to match what the reporter said. That was going into the half, and the first ATL series after halftime looked good, then they regressed again.
So basically, players need to stick to their assignments and "just do their jobs" as the Patriots would say.

knownone

Reaction score
Our offense went 6 whole quarters without scoring a point. Our offense isn’t exactly killing it either. They scored a whole 3 points in the second half of the Atlanta game.
Sure. I'm not saying the offense is killing it. I'm just saying in 2 out of 3 games, they've been good enough to win. The Atlanta game is tricky because their expected points in the second half was 10, which would be decent, considering they only had three drives. And yeah, they haven't been great, and they're only averaging 15 ppg on the season. But the difference is that their issues are minor (penalties derailing drives), while the defense is blowing coverages, missing tackles, and getting dumb penalties.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
It's an improvement. Small steps. Don't jump. The season is long. Enjoy the ride. Or not.