Disgusting stat

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
blkhwk":1rtch3hq said:
Defense has to be gassed. The second half touchdowns came on a long run followed by a defensive score. How many plays did the offense run after that? IIRC there were not many first downs by the offense. Also with the way the defense plays, it takes long sustained drives to score, thus more plays for the defense, chasing the QB and RB's after short passes.

Whoever wants to blame conditioning??????? Assuming you workout, how much energy do you have at the end of your workout compared to the beginning or middle? Of course the defense is going to be tired. We have made a living out of wearing out defenses the past couple of years.

Defense takes way more energy to play. Offense knows where they are going. On defense you are sprinting full speed just about every play, even if you are away from the ball, you are supposed to make an effort to get to the ball just in case.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2s3kaluh said:
If our D is gassed in the 4th quarter, then Seattle needs to fire its conditioning coordinator.

These are professional athletes, people. If they want to stay on the bench, they can get some stops.

Where is this damn forest you speak of? All I see is a bunch of trees.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
There has only been one game where "being tired" was a legitimate excuse.

And again, we have more millionaires on this defense than any other team. The offense should not matter, especially if you're protecting a 17 point lead in the 4th quarter.

sutz

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3bds2udw said:

And again, we have more millionaires on this defense than any other team. The offense should not matter, especially if you're protecting a 17 point lead in the 4th quarter.
Whether you think it 'should' matter or not, it does. If the O had scored 1 time in the 4th Qtr, it could have changed the final outcome. I refuse to absolve the offense for failing to burn clock and pad the score in the final quarter.

As I said above, I lay blame at about 60/40, O/D.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
sutz":tyh9gwav said:
DavidSeven":tyh9gwav said:

Whether you think it 'should' matter or not, it does. If the O had scored 1 time in the 4th Qtr, it could have changed the final outcome. I refuse to absolve the offense for failing to burn clock and pad the score in the final quarter.

This has nothing to do with this thread. This is about the success opposing QBs have had against our secondary. We have only shown glimpses of the LOB. If we can't solidify our secondary play, we are going to be in the hurt bag.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
sutz":7bn423cf said:
DavidSeven":7bn423cf said:

Have you actually even looked at the Time of Possession numbers? We won TOP versus the Lions and Rams. We were about equal with Green Bay. Cincinnati had the ball just 57% of the time, hardly enough to justify "tiredness."

So, explain to me why our defense should be more tired than anyone else's?

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2yvp3zuq said:
sutz":2yvp3zuq said:
DavidSeven":2yvp3zuq said:

This has nothing to do with this thread. This is about the success opposing QBs have had against our secondary. We have only shown glimpses of the LOB. If we can't solidify our secondary play, we are going to be in the hurt bag.

So if I say this stat is less relevant to our stat of being last in the NFL in redzone scoring TD%, I can't? Sorry our defense is not the problem. It can improve but it is defineatley not the issue.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Allowing 40 for 48 on passes in the 4th quarter is a problem. Are you kidding me? How could anyone think that's not a problem? Our defense has collapsed in almost every game since the NFCCG.

The Bears game is literally the only game since that time where an opposing offense didn't drive down our throat in the 4th quarter/OT with a chance to win or tie.

And believe me, I'm not absolving the O. They need to win us some games, too. But that does not excuse the defense from collapsing in 6 of the last 7 games.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2gcvi1kf said:
sutz":2gcvi1kf said:
DavidSeven":2gcvi1kf said:

Have you actually even looked at the Time of Possession numbers? We won TOP versus the Lions and Rams. We were about equal with Green Bay. Cincinnati had the ball just 57% of the time, hardly enough to justify "tiredness."

So, explain to me why our defense should be more tired than anyone else's?

Our time of possession has been ok overall but has been below average in the first half. So has our pts scored in the first half, sorry that is relevant. As for Cincinnati, we were in the redzone for an additional TD but threw an INT in the first half. Also, let's not forget how hard it is for a defense when the opposing team is playing four down offense. The #1 offense in the league.

Our offense has no tempo whatsoever. Teams know what to do to stop us. There is no adjusting. We had a big run and a TD from our defense. What's that leave, one really credible drive? Not that a big run isn't relevant but as inconsistent our offense is, I'd chalk it up to more Cincinnati "dropping the ball" for one play.

chris98251

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2xsrtxee said:

They make money, most players do. Offense should not matter? 17 points is not insurmountable for a team to overcome, a turnover and quick score, a touchdown pass and then a onside kick and a filed goal and your tied, seen three touchdowns scored in 2 minutes before in unusual situations where stuff happens.

How many comebacks happened against us during the Holmgren years due to prevent defense, our offense goes into clock eating mode with a lead, except with 3 and outs it doesn't eat much clock. The passes completed are passes that we also allow to keep things in front of us, in the past we jumped routes and got turnovers, not this year, in the past Kam would knock someone to next week, that has not happened either.

Earl seemed less then impressed with how they have prepared, the hunger or intensity we typically see just isn't there, could that be Norton leaving ?, Quinn leaving ? or the team over all getting too comfortable.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":jg7gryw0 said:
DavidSeven":jg7gryw0 said:

They make money, most players do. Offense should not matter? 17 points is not insurmountable for a team to overcome, a turnover and quick score, a touchdown pass and then a onside kick and a filed goal and your tied, seen three touchdowns scored in 2 minutes before in unusual situations where stuff happens.

How many comebacks happened against us during the Holmgren years due to prevent defense, our offense goes into clock eating mode with a lead, except with 3 and outs it doesn't eat much clock. The passes completed are passes that we also allow to keep things in front of us, in the past we jumped routes and got turnovers, not this year, in the past Kam would knock someone to next week, that has not happened either.

Earl seemed less then impressed with how they have prepared, the hunger or intensity we typically see just isn't there, could that be Norton leaving ?, Quinn leaving ? or the team over all getting too comfortable.
Not insurmountable? Wasn't it the first time in about 500 games that that had happened? We need the roar of the LOB again and that's a fact

Scottemojo

Reaction score
It is completely possible that the offensive problems and 4th qtr defensive collapses are not related to each other at all. I think they are separate issues for the most part.

A lack of consistent pass rush has been an issue.

Chawker

Reaction score
I feel that it "is" a legitimate statement about our defence being gassed out with alot of three n outs by our offence. Not only is it a fair statement, its one that I firmly correlate to the loss in Cincinati.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
sutz":os9znnlx said:
DavidSeven":os9znnlx said:

How much blame do you put on the special teams? Against Cincinnati they allowed punt returns of 35, 19, & 17 yards in the 4th quarter & overtime.

lobohawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2sie0pt5 said:
Maybe our defense is just playing a lot worse than it has been.

We had no reason to be "gassed" in the St. Louis, Green Bay, and Detroit games. We just couldn't defend for whatever reason.

Offense had nothing to do with previous defensive breakdowns. Don't care what the scenario is, a great defense shouldn't be giving up a near perfect passer rating in the 4th quarter. If they were getting run on? Maybe. But that's not what's happening here.

This isn't exactly a new phenomenon either. I know people have axes to grind, but this has nothing to do with offense.

I'm sorry, but the defense is getting what? 70% of the salary cap? And you're excuse is you're tired because of offense? Sorry, that doesn't work.

Yup. This one right here.

RiverDog

Reaction score
ivotuk":j0vzdyvn said:
17 point lead in the 4th quarter. That's on the defense.

Yes, for sure it is.

But when you are up by three scores, it means that the offense is going to get the ball at least twice within 15 minutes with the lead and opportunities to either extend the lead or run out the clock. Not being able to hold a 4th quarter 17 point lead is on the offense as much as it is the defense.

I can't lay that game solely on the defense. They were playing on the road against a top 5 offense, held them to 7 points for 3 quarters, and score a TD on their own. For the 5th time in as many outings, the offense couldn't score 20 points.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Crizilla":360x3j0f said:
"...opposing quarterbacks have completed 40 of 48 passes for 449 yards and three touchdowns against Seattle in the fourth quarter and overtime..."

:pukeface:

Probably because they're absolutely exhausted because our middling offense can't put together a drive worth a crap.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3owswn3u said:

Well lets go over this game by game..

SB XLIX - Secondary decimated, Cliff Avril out, offense didn't put together a drive of longer than 4 plays after taking a 24-14 lead. Took a fluke catch by Kearse to put the Seahawks in position to win the game.. we all know that ending

Week 1 at St. Louis - Dion Bailey face plants to set up tying TD.

Week 2 at Green Bay - After taking 17-13 lead, offense ends game with punt, INT, fumble. Longest drive 48 yards when Packers were in prevent defense. This is the best QB in football we are talking about btw, holding them to no points is very far fetched.

Week 3 vs. Chicago - The Bears basically conceded this loss from the opening kick

Week 4 vs. Detroit - After taking a 10 point lead, the offense went punt, fumble, fumble recovered for TD, punt, and eventually won the game on a Kearse completion after the defensive play heard round the world.

Week 5 at Cincy - After taking 17 point lead in the 3rd, the offense went... punt, punt, punt, punt, punt, punt .. longest drive.. 18 yards.

That's asking a LOT of your defense.