DK Metcalf needs to go after Jump Balls like Dennis Rodman

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
Wilson played poorly his throws were short and off target. Stop throwing DK under the bus we're lucky to have him. Wilson isn't the same and probably should've just sat the season out to be truthful. Geno Smith has us in playoff contention had he stayed the starter. Will he ever be the same? No, he won't.... not with mallet finger which is permanently disfiguring and vital to throwing a football. He's done a lot for our franchise, but he deserves a fresh start elsewhere and we deserve a fresh rebuild from the ground up including coach and GM. We need picks and with Wilson being the top cap hit league wide it would be nice to afford better in free agency.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I will say for an athlete that's 6'4" and 240 lbs, DK does seem to be really bad at timing his jumps and getting his body in good positions to high point the ball.

Did he not play basketball growing up?

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1badgtav said:
I will say for an athlete that's 6'4" and 240 lbs, DK does seem to be really bad at timing his jumps and getting his body in good positions to high point the ball.

Did you see the jump balls he got when Geno was QB? I did
Wilson was off target. DK had to pump the brakes when he was wide open for a TD. The underthrow almost injured our star receiver. Russ to Denver for Bridgewater, Jeudy and 3 firsts. We will eventually draft another franchise qb with one of those picks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ArlosSpecial":sf7sbx0e said:
Sgt. Largent":sf7sbx0e said:

Wilson was off target. DK had to pump the brakes when he was wide open for a TD. The underthrow almost injured our star receiver. Russ to Denver for Bridgewater, Jeudy and 3 firsts. We will eventually draft another franchise qb with one of those picks.

I'm not talking about the underthrows, I'm talking about the 50/50 balls Russell throws DK, at least 3-4 of those this year and last he's looked bad trying to jump for them.

Just an observation. Usually tall/big athletic receivers are better at jump balls than DK appears to be.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1z5nw0ha said:
ArlosSpecial":1z5nw0ha said:
Sgt. Largent":1z5nw0ha said:

I'm not talking about the underthrows, I'm talking about the 50/50 balls Russell throws DK, at least 3-4 of those this year and last he's looked bad trying to jump for them.

Just an observation. Usually tall/big athletic receivers are better at jump balls than DK appears to be.

Agreed. Watch some of the other bigger receivers, AJ Brown (when healthy), Cooper Kupp, Allen Robinson, Mike Evans, AJ Green, and Adam Thielen. Even though they are listed at TE - you could add Kittle, Kelce, and Waller to that list too. They come down with those 50/50 balls. I've seen Tyler Lockett do more of that this season than DK. Can't compare him to Megatron until he improves that piece of his game. Megatron would win those battles the majority of the time.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
DK is below average when it comes to contested passes, and catching with contact

John63

Reaction score
Jerhawk":210fcxqh said:
DK is below average when it comes to contested passes, and catching with contact

Not only that but he gives up on some as well. For example, last game the int he could have at least tried to knock it down. Ye sit was not a great pass but at least try. The other one was a long pass up the left side where the defender got a hand in, well if he reaches up and uses his hands instead of using his body that might not happen. Not saying the passes could not have been better but he could have done better as well. There was another play where he knew he was not the primary so he ran 5 yards and stopped. He has a lot to learn, and whether he is great or not will be determined by his willingness to learn.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Scorpion05":3snlc54z said:
He’s not a great route runner, which means he needs to basically be Brandon Marshall lite. He isn’t that either.

Yea Russ under threw some balls. But what we absolutely do know is that DK isn’t going to come down with a tough catch. In fact, can we name one play where DK saved Russ’ ass? Seems like every DK highlight, even the ones with Geno required a perfect throw

I can name two plays where DK saved Russ's ass...

1) 2020, Game winning TD catch vs. Minny on last-minute GW drive, IIRC, it was 4th down and Russ really zinged it in, and DK caught that bullet when it mattered.

2) WC Playoff game vs. Philly, Russell launches a prayer 40 yards downfield to DK, DK catches it, Seahawks run out the clock and win the game. I sorta recall DK may have gone up after that one.

... I'm sure there are more, it's just hard to recall very many this year.

OK, despite those two plays, I agree with the OP take and overall sentiment. DK rarely highpoints any balls, does not seem to use his physical advantages for contested catches, waits for the ball to come to him, and seems to have stalled in his development. It's up to him to go to work on his craft instead of focusing on picking fights. I do love his run blocking though.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
This year at least I haven't seen many throws from Russ where DK
could go up and have a chance with those underthrown floaters
and sailing balls way over his head or the ones being out of bounds?
Are we really blaming the right person?

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
IndyHawk":31n55nf6 said:
Exactly. There's a few in here that want to blame DK for a ball that was underthrown by 15 yards and almost got injured trying to back up to it. Wilson certainly isn't the same and selfishly came back too early costing us a playoff spot. Geno's ass has us in the playoffs guaranteed

John63

Reaction score
ArlosSpecial":ps52hsjm said:
IndyHawk":ps52hsjm said:
Exactly. There's a few in here that want to blame DK for a ball that was underthrown by 15 yards and almost got injured trying to back up to it. Wilson certainly isn't the same and selfishly came back too early costing us a playoff spot. Geno's ass has us in the playoffs guaranteed

well, one while you have every right to say selfishly then you must also ass the team doctor and PC since they needed to approve e of him coming back. 2 again while you can say it you can't prove it was done selfishly. what if he really thought he was ready and was just wrong. as to Dk yes DK has saved Wilson on occasions, and Wilson has made it simple for DK on occasion. all that aside does not change the fact that DK has a lot to learn..period.