DK Metcalf on running game forcing single-high safeties

Throwdown

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3nvd23ed said:
Good point. Myers has def. crapped the bed this year. But, why run the ball 8 times in a row? Why not some quick passes to the TE or DK? Fly sweeps, something different. Not 8 runs up the gut. Just my own opinion, but that somehow makes me a coward :irishdrinkers:
Last year when the running game wasn't working at all, of course they needed to pass the ball more.

To me, time of possession has by far been the biggest problem this season. You can't keep playing games where the opponent seems to have the ball almost 40 minutes a game.

Well If the QB could convert 3rd down…

keasley45

Reaction score
Throwdown":11018ug3 said:
SoulfishHawk":11018ug3 said:
Good point. Myers has def. crapped the bed this year. But, why run the ball 8 times in a row? Why not some quick passes to the TE or DK? Fly sweeps, something different. Not 8 runs up the gut. Just my own opinion, but that somehow makes me a coward :irishdrinkers:
Last year when the running game wasn't working at all, of course they needed to pass the ball more.

To me, time of possession has by far been the biggest problem this season. You can't keep playing games where the opponent seems to have the ball almost 40 minutes a game.

Geno was qb that game. We just didn't pass. He did however post a better completion percentage on 3rd down than Russ - 68.2 percent for Geno vs 50.5 percent for Russ.

justafan

Reaction score
The RPO with Wilson rolling out has been a part of our offense since Carrol and Wilson have been here. It isnt new to football. In my mind I can see Zorn and Sherman Smith running the sprint draw with Zorn rolling out as a counter.A similar play. I dont see Pete telling Waldron not to run that play.
Wilson does have some holes in his game, passing up short gains, but if you are going to run the ball to pull more guys into the box and out of of 2 deep, going deep is great counter. Which is also one of Wilsons and our WRs strength. Running the ball then wanting to dink and dunk against 8 in the box gets tough. That is one of Wilsons weaker parts to his game IMO.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
justafan":1p9xq35d said:
The RPO with Wilson rolling out has been a part of our offense since Carrol and Wilson have been here. It isnt new to football. In my mind I can see Zorn and Sherman Smith running the sprint draw with Zorn rolling out as a counter.A similar play. I dont see Pete telling Waldron not to run that play.
Wilson does have some holes in his game, passing up short gains, but if you are going to run the ball to pull more guys into the box and out of of 2 deep, going deep is great counter. Which is also one of Wilsons and our WRs strength. Running the ball then wanting to dink and dunk against 8 in the box gets tough. That is one of Wilsons weaker parts to his game IMO.

Isnt it amazing in last years Rams playoff game they rolled Wilson out ZERO times. Thats a helluva game plan right there.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Pitt makes a good point. But it's clearly ONLY on Russ. I mean, we should ignore Pete and his coaching staff getting massively outcoached, and refusing to adjust.

The Hawks beat them 20-9 just 2 games prior. One team adjusted in the playoffs, the other didn't. The entire team crapped the bed in the playoffs, including Russ. They literally looked unprepared, and the Rams came in prepared and wanted it more.

justafan

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":jkond7le said:
justafan":jkond7le said:

Isnt it amazing in last years Rams playoff game they rolled Wilson out ZERO times. Thats a helluva game plan right there.

Rams are just tough on us. Even at home. I can see not rolling out a lot against a 3-4 alignment. The Rams know us. What I cant see how that team ran the ball down are throat with nobody at QB.
Anytime a team throws a pic 6 its like 75% of the teams lose.
Really the only things that could beat us did beat us.
Did we roll RW out on them 2 weeks earlier. I dont even remember.

nwHawk

Reaction score
keasley45":ze7psw01 said:
So we can complain about not running motions and blag blah blah. We have a porsche in the garage and choose to only pull it out when we need to run to the grocery store. Motions be damned, if we just did what we have proven we do well, we would win.

And that's why all the talk about our scheme sucks or our strategy is dated is so frustrating. We have tools available to us in the run and pass and don't use them. And as a result, we lose. But all anybody sees is Russell's great stat line, and from that, they infer that the issue has to be everything else.

Yup, stats and fantasy football numbers. This post really is spot on. The game flow and grind are usually forgotten, but stats are easy to find forever. The NFL loves to pump up stats and novice fans eat it up.

I could care less about stats, I’m fine with lining up and bullying the other team.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Sorry, but I was told that when Brandon Marshall and Greg Olsen were talking shit in the offseason, we had to listen because they were actual players that had been with Seattle

Same goes for DK, thems the rules

keasley45

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":nnjytxt6 said:
justafan":nnjytxt6 said:

This Rams game?

https://youtu.be/E6BUU_FZAPE

The one where the Seahawks running game ran for 136 yards on 25 carries for a 5.4 ypc average and instead we chose to throw more than we ran, for a 11 for 27 finish and a pick 6 that was the classic Russ misread.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8073ny

Our Qb passed up several easy completions for 1st downs that ultimately resulted in sacks, one of which I believe was a 15 plus yard loss. But, that gets tossed into the offensive lines failure and not his. 2 of his 5 sacks were directly a result of him choosing to not throw.

The team wasn't perfect that day, but when the plays are there to be made, your captain and franchise player needs to make them. There was nothing complex about the plays he missed. Convert just a handful of 1st downs, lean more on a run game that was carrying us, don't throw the pick six, and we win.

don't disagree we could have tried more roll outs ir middle screend, but the game was there to be had without them.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
keasley45":1600gd2y said:
pittpnthrs":1600gd2y said:
justafan":1600gd2y said:

This Rams game?

https://youtu.be/E6BUU_FZAPE

The one where the Seahawks running game ran for 136 yards on 25 carries for a 5.4 ypc average and instead we chose to throw more than we ran, for a 11 for 27 finish and a pick 6 that was the classic Russ misread.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8073ny

Our Qb passed up several easy completions for 1st downs that ultimately resulted in sacks, one of which I believe was a 15 plus yard loss. But, that gets tossed into the offensive lines failure and not his. 2 of his 5 sacks were directly a result of him choosing to not throw.

The team wasn't perfect that day, but when the plays are there to be made, your captain and franchise player needs to make them. There was nothing complex about the plays he missed. Convert just a handful of 1st downs, lean more on a run game that was carrying us, don't throw the pick six, and we win.

don't disagree we could have tried more roll outs ir middle screend, but the game was there to be had without them.

The running stats were bloated due to Wilsons 12.5 ypc and 50 yards on 4 carries. Also you can pin 2 sacks on Wilson but he was under constant duress the entire game.

No the team wasnt perfect that day, but trying to beat a team that adapted their game plan when your team didnt from just two weeks ago puts them behind the 8 ball. Even the pick 6, yeah Russ shouldnt have thrown it, but the Rams knew it was coming. The fact is McVay coached circles around Carroll once again and won with a 4 fingered QB and depleted defense. It was one of Pete Carrolls most embarrassing coaching jobs ever.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
Wait… a solid running attack opens up the passing game??? In other breaking news water is wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
keasley45":124lj4s7 said:
Throwdown":124lj4s7 said:
SoulfishHawk":124lj4s7 said:

Geno was qb that game. We just didn't pass. He did however post a better completion percentage on 3rd down than Russ - 68.2 percent for Geno vs 50.5 percent for Russ.
Geno came in and did way better than any of us would have ever predicted, he scanned targets and took the opening without hesitation but let’s also not forget basically a prevent D. But I also contribute to scheme change when forced, why don’t we play more move the chains ball like we did then? Is it Russ? Yes, I don’t think without fault by any means at times with looking for a shot or throwing low percentage sideline routes on crucial downs especially when short distance. I look back to week one. I chalked us up to slow sluggish start in that game and losing to a quality team on the road. But that game our offense looked completely different than past years. Motion, screens, gadget/misdirection plays…a lot of plays to just keep moving the chains. I feel like since that week it’s been the same scheme we’ve seen the last several years. And furthermore the inability to adapt mid game. Its a mix of things that has and only is going to perpetuate this storm. But if anyone thinks a career backup in Geno that if was that talented could be playing elsewhere is somehow better than a legit first ballot HoF’r in Russ then please pass me whatever legal concoctions you are smoking in that state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk