Do we have a playoff roster?

BlueTalon

Reaction score
No.
We are still going to be in that Seahawk purgatory of not bad enough for a great draft pick but not good enough to make noise in the playoffs.
We need a year of "learning" to tackle and to run the ball before we impact the NFC. But I think this is going to be a fun season.
I don't think it's going to take a year.

cymatica

Reaction score
No.
We are still going to be in that Seahawk purgatory of not bad enough for a great draft pick but not good enough to make noise in the playoffs.
We need a year of "learning" to tackle and to run the ball before we impact the NFC. But I think this is going to be a fun season.
I don't think that's true. There are plenty of examples of bad teams from the prior season doing a complete 180 after changing coaches and adding a few pieces.

This team has talent, seemed like the main issue was the inability of the coaches to put the players in the best position to succeed. Waldron seemed to forget he had 3 good tight ends. The defense made it easy for opposing offenses to know how to exploit it. I feel like both of those things might change drastically, while this off-season has seen more of a focus on the trenches than I've seen in a long time.

RiverDog

Reaction score
There's no doubt in my mind that this team has playoff talent, but when 14 out of the 32 teams qualify, it's not that big of an accomplishment and shouldn't be used as a standard. All it means is that you're a .500ish team.

The conversation should be about being a legitimate SB competitor, not if we are good enough to make the playoffs. That was the whole problem with the last 3/4 of the Pete Carroll era, that some people used our qualifying for the playoffs as often as we did to argue against a coaching change.

Seahawker

Reaction score
I don't think that's true. There are plenty of examples of bad teams from the prior season doing a complete 180 after changing coaches and adding a few pieces.

This team has talent, seemed like the main issue was the inability of the coaches to put the players in the best position to succeed. Waldron seemed to forget he had 3 good tight ends. The defense made it easy for opposing offenses to know how to exploit it. I feel like both of those things might change drastically, while this off-season has seen more of a focus on the trenches than I've seen in a long time.
I sure hope you're right, can't wait for the new Era. I do think we'll give the 9ers & Rams a run for their $, stick that broom up their...

hedgehawk

Reaction score
I don’t think so. We’re in a terrible situation. We’ll win enough to be middle of the draft. This is where JS has got to prove what kind of GM he is. He doesn’t have PC to take the blame/success anymore.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
There's no doubt in my mind that this team has playoff talent, but when 14 out of the 32 teams qualify, it's not that big of an accomplishment and shouldn't be used as a standard. All it means is that you're a .500ish team.

The conversation should be about being a legitimate SB competitor, not if we are good enough to make the playoffs. That was the whole problem with the last 3/4 of the Pete Carroll era, that some people used our qualifying for the playoffs as often as we did to argue against a coaching change.
We've made the playoffs as a sub-500 team before, so making the playoffs doesn't even guarantee that.

That said, most of the time making the playoffs means you're over 500 by a couple games, and you can't get to the Super Bowl if you don't first make the playoffs, so that should always be one of the main goals.

SeaWolv

Reaction score

There are teams that don't make the playoffs, teams that barely make the playoffs, teams that make playoff runs and teams that are contenders and make deep runs. No one here is saying that merely making the playoffs is some great accomplishment but it is progress. I'm sure we can all agree missing the playoffs is not preferable. Even if the Hawks just make the playoffs there is experience to be gained and motivation for players to do more next season. It's all part of the process.

GemCity

Reaction score
In terms of talent Hell yes.

The only question should be, will our new coaching staff be able to inspire and use the talent they have in their arsenal.

GoHawks
This. We had the talent last year…as horrid as the defense was, there appeared to be talent.

The last 3-4 years, it’s felt like we weren’t playing to our rosters strengths on the defensive side of the ball…example: Wagner or Adams getting stuck on TEs or receivers in motion. Some of it cannot be avoided (LB is going to be expected to pick up TEs in the middle on occasion). But, it seemed like teams knew exactly what to do..and when… in our games. Especially McVay.

Our biggest LIMFAC in my opinion is the coaching staff. While I believe these guys are going to very good at what they do, none of them have experience in their respective positions at the NFL level. It makes a difference….even at the NFL level.

Not knocking them…I’m beyond excited to see what they do. Some things take time…and I expect that to be the case this year.

Seahawker

Reaction score
My biggest worries are LB, S, C, TE in both depth & starting competition.

Mase

Reaction score
- We have got to stop this backward thinking about QB and draft position. 2021, 5 QBs taken in the top 15. Four are already on new teams, trade for used athletic tape. The only one who survived was a "generational talent, can't miss, next Andrew Luck". Has been good, but can't lead his team to squat. I will bet AT LEAST two of the QBs taken first round this year will be spectacular flameouts.

- Regardless, we do have enough talent to get in as a wild card or if the Niners get the SB loss hangover, maybe win the division. There are just some gaps that concern me. Off ball LB being my biggest concern. I do think Howell provides a better future option than Lock did. A lot to like, but there is quite a bit of unknown.

- If we struggle this year, I am not going to suggest the coaches can't hack it, they also have a lot to learn. A lot of "first time" in front of their job title. First time Head coach. First time defensive coordinator, first time pro offensive coordinator.

Mase

JustTheTip

Reaction score
That defense he had in Baltimore beat the ever-loving crap out of us. I'm quite sure there was more than just evaluating and adapting involved.
It looks like more of a framework than a system to me.

In the end what brought Pete and Holmgren down was essentially the same thing. The hubris of their system not having to adapt to the players or the changing nfl.

The difference between saying "this is what we are going to do come hell or high water" and "this is the catalog of concepts we would like to build around, first edition now, second edition next year,... " And what is used from that catalog depends on the available pieces.

BASF

Reaction score
My supposition is that Macdonald is gifted in spotting the tells of his opponents. Every player has idiosyncrasies. Some it is in their stance, an example would be that a lineman will have his hand that isn't touching the ground in a certain spot on his hip if it is a run and a different spot if it is a pass. It is up to the offensive line coach to get that under control because if you are tipping plays (as I am convinced happened the last two seasons by one of our guards) your offense is dead in the water against teams with coaches who can spot them and use them against you.

As far as a playoff roster, most teams in the NFL have a playoff roster. Coaching is far more important than most people give credit for. Very few people understand how bad Clint Hurtt was as a defensive coordinator. The defense will make a huge leap forward this season.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
I like this roster. Still not sold on Darrell Taylor, but think we're solid everywhere else. Here's a look at what our 53 may look like. Not sure he got the DBs right. We just reworked Mike Jackson for cap space.

I can't imagine we're not looking to trade a DB or two right now.

WarHawks

Reaction score

This. Overall, it seems like we set the bar low and then we act surprised that we don't go further. Better to aim high and miss than aim low and hit.

NoGain

Reaction score
I don't think we're going to get run over and run by this year on D like we have in years past. I think MacDonald will put a stop to that, and that's a big start.