Does buying into hype really cause damage?

12thMan1

Reaction score
Rumor has it that buying into hype can very well lead a team into disaster. Hype, by my definition, is the majority vote; the best odds to go for the gusto. Is it really plausible to say all of that positive attention will showcase a negative? In the realm of all things possible; I suppose it could. I've heard people describe hype as being a distraction, it causes players lose focus and that teams can crumble under it. Last time I checked ,there weren't any facts or stats to validate that argument. (Please correct me if I'm wrong) Rather than labeling hype as a distraction, why not embrace it?

I used to play little league when I was a kid. My team was terrible when we first started, but eventually, we had a breakout season. The next year, we ended up winning the championship game. Point is, hype gave me the confidence to play beyond what I was normally capable of. Was I afraid of letting people down? For sure; but not any more had it been year one. I found this Russell Wilson quote from http://bigstory.ap.org/article/seattle- ... major-hype

"I make my own expectations so I don't really worry about what the media says or what other people say to be honest with you," quarterback Russell Wilson said. "My only expectation is to work as hard as I can, to be consistent, for our football team to be consistent, and for our football team, to play as hard as we can every Sunday, every practice and then we'll see what happens."

Why I respect and understand what he's saying, why wouldn't there be more emphasis on winning since it's already common knowledge that games are gonna be lost. Rather than saying "then we'll see what happens". That mentality not only protects a player from potential scrutiny, but could also be interpreted as telling fans that if it doesn't matter if we win, so long as we're trying our best. The Seahawks shouldn't be nonchalant while paying little heed to all the respect and attention the media outlets are providing, they should be embracing it. From my experience, buying into hype CAN be fruitful and produce positive outcomes.

TaterHawk

Reaction score
RW is very correct that you only focus on the next game, but you are what you think you are. Nothing more, nothing less. The hawks better buy into the hype. The first step to achieving is believing.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that when De La Salle High School ripped off 151 straight wins and 6 straight national championships that they didn't buy into the hype at all.

I don't think that just believing what people say about you is bad if you really are that good.

The problems come in when you believe what people say about you when you aren't as good as they say...and then you are exposed (see 2011 Eagles).

Riley12

Reaction score
I don't think it causes disaster for a player, who is paid and moves on when their career or job takes them elsewhere.

I am living proof that it totally screws up a fan's psyche, however. My hopes and expectations have been beaten like a $5 hooker.
Sometimes, I feel like a Maury Show mama who is still looking for her baby daddy after 6 paternity tests.

I still keep coming back for more though.

Tical21

Reaction score
Believing the hype means that you think you're so good that you're going to walk onto the field and turn the switch on and win, and therefore you don't put in the work necessary to make it happen.

formido

Reaction score
The quote from Wilson is that of a winner. When I was in college I read a sport psychology textbook. It discussed the attributes of winners. One thing that winners have in common is that they don't focus too much on what their opponents are doing, they focus on themselves. Wilson focuses on trying to get better, which is the only thing under his control. As a side effect, he'll probably get better than his opponents.

It's a matter of emphasis. Wilson wants to win, but you don't get to automatically win just because you want to. There's a significant element of chance in all sports, but especially football. There are a lot of other players on the field, including your teammates. It's healthier, and leads to better outcomes (more wins) long term, if you focus on being the best you can be, focus on process. If you spend too much time thinking about outcomes, you start fantasizing when you should be focusing. Your mind only has so many frames per second and a lot of times, if you fetishize outcomes, you start remembering bad plays you just made or imagining how people will react if you miss this next throw. Imagining takes up some of those frames and your immediate performance suffers. That's why Wilson always talks about staying in the now. It applies to prep and game time.

sc85sis

Reaction score
It's basically the old story of confidence versus arrogance. Confidence comes from being prepared as much as possible and believing in oneself. That's a good thing. Buying into hype breeds arrogance, and that's NOT a good thing.

Pete wants his guys to believe they can win and focus only on what they can control themselves. They can control how they practice. They can control how much film they watch. They can control how they eat and take care of their bodies. And so forth. They can't control how well or how much the other team does those same things, whether the other team's players are more athletic, what the press says, etc. Therefore Pete doesn't believe in paying attention to any of that. He doesn't believe in focusing on the Super Bowl because there are too many variables between now and then. Just focus on one game at a time. Maximize your potential and see where it takes you. If the Hawks do that, they should have a successful season. Whether that success includes a Super Bowl win involves a bit of luck (staying healthy, how the other teams play in your division, etc.)

kearly

Reaction score
IMO, 2012 was the year of Seahawks hype. They had the talent to be great, but hadn't turned that into wins yet. The 2013 team is coming off an 11-5 season that should have been a 13-3 season. Buy in or don't buy, it doesn't matter what you or anyone thinks, the Seahawks are already an elite franchise. It would take a damned miracle for this team to finish 8-8.

lukerguy

Reaction score
In my opinion, it's the biggest threat to a superbowl. Expectations and overconfidence.

themunn

Reaction score
Tical21":350i26xf said:
Believing the hype means that you think you're so good that you're going to walk onto the field and turn the switch on and win, and therefore you don't put in the work necessary to make it happen.

There are two types of people.
Those who want to be recognised as the best and those who want to BE the best.

the former will buy into hype and satisfy themselves that they've made it
the latter will buy into the hype and tell themselves 'just wait until you see what I can do next'.

the former gives rise to terms like 'dream team'
the latter gives rise to terms like 'champions'

-The Glove-

Reaction score
formido":3sqowawz said:
The quote from Wilson is that of a winner. When I was in college I read a sport psychology textbook. It discussed the attributes of winners. One thing that winners have in common is that they don't focus too much on what their opponents are doing, they focus on themselves. Wilson focuses on trying to get better, which is the only thing under his control. As a side effect, he'll probably get better than his opponents.

It's a matter of emphasis. Wilson wants to win, but you don't get to automatically win just because you want to. There's a significant element of chance in all sports, but especially football. There are a lot of other players on the field, including your teammates. It's healthier, and leads to better outcomes (more wins) long term, if you focus on being the best you can be, focus on process. If you spend too much time thinking about outcomes, you start fantasizing when you should be focusing. Your mind only has so many frames per second and a lot of times, if you fetishize outcomes, you start remembering bad plays you just made or imagining how people will react if you miss this next throw. Imagining takes up some of those frames and your immediate performance suffers. That's why Wilson always talks about staying in the now. It applies to prep and game time.
Your first paragraph is why I think Sherman is so good and why I don't want him to stop talking. He makes his opponent focus on him rather them staying focused on themselves and their team. As soon as they start focusing too much on him, their head is not really in the game (Steve Smith).

hawk79

Reaction score
12thMan1":3j4k2jyo said:
Rumor has it that buying into hype can very well lead a team into disaster. Hype, by my definition, is the majority vote; the best odds to go for the gusto. Is it really plausible to say all of that positive attention will showcase a negative? In the realm of all things possible; I suppose it could. I've heard people describe hype as being a distraction, it causes players lose focus and that teams can crumble under it. Last time I checked ,there weren't any facts or stats to validate that argument. (Please correct me if I'm wrong) Rather than labeling hype as a distraction, why not embrace it?

I used to play little league when I was a kid. My team was terrible when we first started, but eventually, we had a breakout season. The next year, we ended up winning the championship game. Point is, hype gave me the confidence to play beyond what I was normally capable of. Was I afraid of letting people down? For sure; but not any more had it been year one. I found this Russell Wilson quote from http://bigstory.ap.org/article/seattle- ... major-hype

"I make my own expectations so I don't really worry about what the media says or what other people say to be honest with you," quarterback Russell Wilson said. "My only expectation is to work as hard as I can, to be consistent, for our football team to be consistent, and for our football team, to play as hard as we can every Sunday, every practice and then we'll see what happens."

Why I respect and understand what he's saying, why wouldn't there be more emphasis on winning since it's already common knowledge that games are gonna be lost. Rather than saying "then we'll see what happens". That mentality not only protects a player from potential scrutiny, but could also be interpreted as telling fans that if it doesn't matter if we win, so long as we're trying our best. The Seahawks shouldn't be nonchalant while paying little heed to all the respect and attention the media outlets are providing, they should be embracing it. From my experience, buying into hype CAN be fruitful and produce positive outcomes.
Maybe, maybe not....look at thier 1985 season...there was ALOT of hype that year and look what happened. I think it depends on the make up of the team and how they view themselves.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I would be into the hype more if this team had a DLine that caused pressure. So far, at least with the 1st team, I haven't seen it. I am hopeful but not having Avril, Clemons, and Irvin causing pressure worries me to death. Also, losing McCoy and Miller being dinged up worries me too.
Then there is the brutal schedule. I am a realist. I still think this team can have a winning record this year though.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Pete has the team in the right mind set... always compete in whatever your endeavor... be better today than you were yesterday.

The team has it leaders... everybody is accountable... the Hawks are a great organization from top to bottom.

They will make us proud.

They already make me proud to be a fan.

I don't buy the hype argument with this team.

Imo, they are somewhat impervious to the hype being their downfall.

A London Hawk

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure RW believes the Hawks can go all the way, he said as much minutes after the loss to Atlanta. That said, he clearly also knows better than to focus on the Super Bowl when there's the small matter of getting to the playoffs to be taken care of first.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Fans will always rightly worry about hype as long as hype is synonymous with decreased effort. Every year there are rookies who "buy into the hype" after they get drafted. Then they show up out of shape to training camp and have a short and disappointing career.

99% of NFL players are effort guys, and all of them are putting in 110%. There are only a handful of players each year who can get by on their sheer athleticism and talent alone, and this is usually only for a short period while they are in their prime. One of the realization that many "effort" rookies arrive at shortly after joining their NFL team is that suddenly everybody is working just as hard as they are if not harder.

In regards to the Seahawks, like most of you I do not see a cause for concern. There is no room for players to be complacent about playing on a good team when they are constantly competing for their jobs.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
It only causes damage if some of the players subconsciously start working less hard in practice and in games; which, for our team, seems like a non-issue.

Latest posts