Does Defense still win championships?

Cyrus12

Reaction score
There seems to be a change with coaches being more young and offensive minded. Seahawks went to two super bowls because they had an all time defense. Other teams did this as well. Even today does anyone think the Browns win 11 games without that defense? The Ravens and 49ers are the two front runners and both have stellar defenses. Our defense was obviously horrible. Usually now the last 4 teams standing have top tier qb..no more Dilfers or Delhomme's. So do you think the belief of defense winning championships is done?

keasley45

Reaction score
I think 7 of the top 10 teams in the playoffs have top 10 defenses.

They also have great offenses.

Match a great offense against a great defense and I'll take the defense everytime, assuming the team with the great defense had an offense that it at least is solid as well, especially running the ball.

Sonichound16

Reaction score
I think that while it is still possible to win a Championship with a team based around defense but it is definitely more difficult than it was in the past. It seems like every year there is a new rule that continues to shift the advantage to the offensive side of the football. Defenders have to worry about hitting a guy too hard, too high, too low or when he is "defenseless". I still am not positive what constitutes a defenseless player. That's just for everyone but the QB. You never know what may be called roughing the passer anymore. Add on the fact that a legitimate option to pick up big yards is to just heave it down the field and hope for pass interference, the ambiguity of what constitutes a pick play and offensive lineman being allowed to line up deeper and wider and everything has been shifting towards the offensive side of the football. They are pretty much trying to eliminate the kickoffs which would also favor offensive minded teams. Those kickoff returns for big yardage or TD's really helped those teams with stud defenses but an offense that was just mediocre. You still need to have a good defense, just not sure you can put all your eggs in that basket anymore. One of the reasons I think they will focus on an offensive minded HC, unless they think that Waldron is the man or they can hire a stud OC and hand them the reins and get a HC that focuses on D. The issue with that is that high level OC's are constantly getting poached.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
Yes defense still wins championships. The Natty is recent evidence of that.

The trend towards younger offensive minds is a current trend. I'm sure one of these seasons we'll see a batch of defensive minded hiring to counter the new offensive schemes we're seeing.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I don't know...ask the Baltimore Ravens.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Most titles lately have been won by offensive minded coaches though.

cymatica

Reaction score
The defense has to be creative and deceptive, just like most successful offenses. Seems like defenses are finally starting to catch up in that department

Chawker

Reaction score
To answer the question posed in this thread, "Does defenses still win championship" ?

YES ! They do. Just wait and watch. They may not be the best defense in the league, but top five for sure.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Just because a team has an offensive ornsefensice minded coach doesn’t mean that they won’t have a a good coordinator on the other side of the ball. Defenses definitely need to be good to win championships but that can’t have crappy offenses paired with them. Offenses at the very least need ton be able to hold their own. The reverse is also true. If you have a great offense but the defense is bottom half you probably aren’t winning Lombardis anytime soon

keasley45

Reaction score
The trend is turning again toward offenses that are physical and less finesse. Not to say we aren't still a passing league, but this whole deal is still physically.

And it will ALWAYS be more difficult and more complicated to succeed with complex offensive schemes that rely on precision between multiple players and a top tier qb than it will a system that can pass effectively, but out physical and opponent on the ground and on defense.

It just always takes defenses a while to adjust to the new tricks.

But leagewide, scoring is down this year (I think) and sloppy play is wayyy up. In my opinion, that's signaled the tipping point where the offensive scheme potential has exceeded the ability of the average team with an average qb to execute it.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Most titles lately have been won by offensive minded coaches though.
But not necessarily offensive focused teams. Last year KC won with the #1 offense and the #14 defense per DVOA. But the two Super Bowls prior were won by teams with top 5 defenses in the Rams and the Bucs.

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The defense has to be creative and deceptive, just like most successful offenses. Seems like defenses are finally starting to catch up in that department

That's how the league's worked throughout it's history.

Innovative offenses, followed by a period of smart coaches and coordinators figuring out how to stop said new flavor of the month offenses.

If you're pinpointing just one thing that led to Pete's demise, that's it. He lost his ability as a defensive coach to fix the defense and all it's issues. Especially the inability to stop the run.

NoGain

Reaction score
If you're pinpointing just one thing that led to Pete's demise, that's it. He lost his ability as a defensive coach to fix the defense and all it's issues. Especially the inability to stop the run.
I think I have to agree with you. There's a handful of other stuff one has to consider near the top of the list, but this has really stuck out for me as well, especially following the LOB years and PC being a defensive guy. It's been painful and frustrating to watch for some years now.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think I have to agree with you. There's a handful of other stuff one has to consider near the top of the list, but this has really stuck out for me as well, especially following the LOB years and PC being a defensive guy. It's been painful and frustrating to watch for some years now.

I would also put failure to establish an identity. All great teams have an identity. High flying offense, punishing physical defense, dynamic pound the rock, etc.

Pete couldn't get back to anything that remotely resembled a cohesive identity, at least not one he could draft, aquire players, teach and have it come to fruition on the practice field and gamedays.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Michigan just beat Washington...

If you want to drill down on this statement, it was really more about superior line play. Another Hawk evergreen deficiency, on both sides of the ball.

I don't care if it's 1945 or 2025, great D and O lines win. Period.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
All I know for sure is you won't win an NFL championship with your defense ranked in the 30's.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
Yes defense still wins championships. The Natty is recent evidence of that.

The trend towards younger offensive minds is a current trend. I'm sure one of these seasons we'll see a batch of defensive minded hiring to counter the new offensive schemes we're seeing.
Makes sense. When defense wins for years you’ve got to find some sort of counterpunch on offense.

That’s why I’m all for a defensive coordinator as offensive coordinator. Look how well Clint did for the other teams offenses.