Does Steve Shilling become our new left guard??

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
I shudder to think where we'd be right now if not for Cable. I think he's obviously under appreciated. We'll find out this season if the line stays healthy and Carp stays healthy. A healthy Carp who still can't get the job done will speak volumes. So will a healthy Carp who does get the job done.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":jhg1ldkz said:
I shudder to think where we'd be right now if not for Cable. I think he's obviously under appreciated. We'll find out this season if the line stays healthy and Carp stays healthy. A healthy Carp who still can't get the job done will speak volumes. So will a healthy Carp who does get the job done.
Why shudder?

With an average O-line we probably would have won the Super Bowl the last two seasons.

I DROOL at the thought of where we would be without him.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":yg8qjbem said:
SalishHawkFan":yg8qjbem said:
Why shudder?

With an average O-line we probably would have won the Super Bowl the last two seasons.

Don't you have a crappy movie to direct?

The O-Line isn't anywhere close to the reason why the Seahawks didn't go all the way in 2012... and just for the record the O-Line was about league average.

The biggest culprit was the Seahawks Nickel Defense was atrocious especially in the ATL play-off game where we without Clemons along with Jason Jones.

And it was the defense that couldn't hold onto leads vs ARI, DET, MIA, and ATL.

And what such a BS depreciative comment and laying blame solely one idividual.... but its okay, I feel you don't have great football intelligence and there is a vibe in your posts that you're just a troll because no one can more pessimistic than Blitzer and he's not even condescending about it.

Bob_the_Destroyer

Reaction score
hawkfan68":5a42o25r said:
There was a player rating in another thread while back, it had each player on the roster rated. There could definitely be potential upgrades at the following positions - LG, RG, and RT. Each were rated "below average" in the rating. While Sweezy may have improved, he still has a long way to go and if there's someone better, there should be no hesitation in removing him as a starter. If Sweezy is the measure of Cable's coaching prowess then the bar is quite low. Need to look at the OL as a whole. Has the OL improved significantly from when Cable took over? Rather than looking at players individually, how has the whole line fared. IMO, that's a better measuring stick.

Please people, do not take Pro Football Focus grades seriously.

Their grading is a black box. We know nothing of their criteria or methodology. We don't know the identities, backgrounds, or abilities of their graders, but from all investigations and analysis of their grading, we suspect their graders are a bunch of morons. There are articles periodically where the authors publicly, play by play, regrade games and compare their overall grades to those from PFF. The PFF grades always turn out to be goofy.

What would be great, and what would greatly benefit the football analysis world, is if they, or someone, made their grading public; if for each and every play, they published the grades they gave each player, ideally with explanations for grades that are particularly high or particularly low. Then let the grades be subject to debate in a forum. (It might be interesting to do in a forum like this one for the Seahawk games, where different members who subscribe to All-22 video post initial grades for a few plays each, but their grades could change depending on input from the community.)

It is very, very difficult to grade the offensive line, especially with zone blocking where the assignments are not clear-cut. It is hard enough for experts to do it, and I'm sure the armchair hacks they have at PFF would be completely incompetent at it.

It is wrong that an excellent young player like JR Sweezy gets crucified because of the nonsensical grading from PFF. As Tom Cable and Russell Wilson constantly say, JR Sweezy is one of the best young linemen in the NFL. He had an excellent season, especially with all the chaos around him from other linemen getting injured. Like most good Tom Cable disciples, he is a monster at run blocking, but was also excellent at pass blocking allowing only one sack and very few QB hurries. The number of penalties he had was very low, especially considering he was only in his second year. The extra 20 pounds of muscle he put on this off-season should help even more. Sweezy will soon be the best offensive lineman for the Seahawks. He will be one of the best linemen in the league for a long time.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
Cables coaching deserves nothing but praise , maybe he missed on Carp and Moffitt but this guy can coach .

I fully remember our offensive line before Cable got here . If you remember too , then its impossible to not appreciate Cable

HawkWow

Reaction score
I would have to call that 2012 line closer to good than near elite. Lynch had to work for all of those yards behind that line. I will give them a break on pass-pro, just because of the new look QB. But I'd have a hard time describing that group as anything more than solid and a chunk of that falls on Cable. But the fact he has a job with this franchise tells me I don't know squat. Someone sure likes him.

bigcc

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":3no6lpsx said:
SalishHawkFan":3no6lpsx said:
Why shudder?

I was going to write out a detailed post on why this is such an idiotic statement but I think it speaks for itself.

bigcc

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":spos7vpl said:
Cables coaching deserves nothing but praise , maybe he missed on Carp and Moffitt but this guy can coach .

I fully remember our offensive line before Cable got here . If you remember too , then its impossible to not appreciate Cable

he whiffed on gallery pretty bad as well, but to lament the fact we hired him in the first place (not referring to you obviously) is beyond laughable.

How many RB's have put up 1200/10 3 years in a row..... I'll patiently wait (but im sure it had NOTHING to do with Cables zone blocking scheme).

Our OL was decimated last season, and the run game still put 2010's to shame, which btw in case you're forgetting, lynch was present for..... in 14 games (including playoffs) dude cracked 90 yards ONCE, as a matter of fact he averaged 50.4 yards per game..... or 3.76 ypc.... insert cable and that number jumped to 80.27 yards per game and 4.2 ypc......

OP
OP
Rainger

Rainger

Reaction score
Think I am going to change the heading of the post and content to "Is Cable a good coach and what's your opinion of the O line".

Because it certainly has nothing to do with can Shilling being a highly recruited local boy make good and through competition beat out Carpenter for the left guard spot.

Don't get me wrong, I love the debate and the posts and emotion that have been posted.

Jville

Reaction score
rainger":2dnhj0ci said:
Think I am going to change the heading of the post and content to "Is Cable a good coach and what's your opinion of the O line".

Because it certainly has nothing to do with can Shilling being a highly recruited local boy make good and through competition beat out Carpenter for the left guard spot.

Don't get me wrong, I love the debate and the posts and emotion that have been posted.

I hear what your saying. But, you might have opened the door with your original post .... "If in Cable we trust is true, could it be that we are sitting on another no name secret that will "come out of nowhere" and solidify the left side of the line with Okung?"

umadbrolob

Reaction score
Backup LG, with limited snaps behind Carp. Same for Van Rotten, behind Sweezy.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
bigcc":n18tx18d said:
bjornanderson21":n18tx18d said:
SalishHawkFan":n18tx18d said:
Why shudder?

I was going to write out a detailed post on why this is such an idiotic statement but I think it speaks for itself.
Don't talk about what you could do, just do it.

I think with an average o-line we would have won the SB the last 2 years.

Take as much time and space as you need to explain why you don't think we would have won with an average o-line

Cartire

Reaction score
kearly":15nzk9u7 said:
McQuistan had two decent seasons before turning into crap last year.

To be completely fair, McQuistan was never, and should never have been, a LT. He was a solid player at guard, and a good backup for the whole o-line. But starting at LT for as long he did was just wrong. My thought on it was simple. We dont have a single person behind Okung that can even do a competent job at LT. And with his injury history, that scares me.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Cartire":2y7hkgoq said:
kearly":2y7hkgoq said:

To be completely fair, McQuistan was never, and should never have been, a LT. He was a solid player at guard, and a good backup for the whole o-line. But starting at LT for as long he did was just wrong. My thought on it was simple. We dont have a single person behind Okung that can even do a competent job at LT. And with his injury history, that scares me.
Which leads me to ask would it really have been that big of a dropoff if Cable had let Bailey get valuable reps at LT, while Okung was out.
Ginger was a serviceable Guard, but he was flat-ass owned at LT in pass pro. Cable seems to have a pet peeve about how O lineman play. His preference appears heavily weighted in favor of run blocking... either that, or run blocking is the only aspect he can teach well/properly evaluate.

Cartire

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":2k3hjgbr said:
Cartire":2k3hjgbr said:
kearly":2k3hjgbr said:

Which leads me to ask would it really have been that big of a dropoff if Cable had let Bailey get valuable reps at LT, while Okung was out.
Ginger was a serviceable Guard, but he was flat-ass owned at LT in pass pro. Cable seems to have a pet peeve about how O lineman play. His preference appears heavily weighted in favor of run blocking... either that, or run blocking is the only aspect he can teach well/properly evaluate.

Or, the fact that he works with and see bailey daily made him decide not to put him in. Its easy for us to come up with answer as we sit on our comps. I can only assume that when Okung went out, Cable did try multiple guys at the position and McQuistan was the best. Which makes me really wonder how bad bailey actually is and how much we just dont realize it yet. Plus, at Baileys size and lack of (from my own observations) smooth footwork, he just is more applicable at guard. But if he doesnt beat out either Carp or Sweezy, then really how good is Bailey actually?

I dont know, its obviously pure speculation at this point. But it just might be, that our mantra for drafting poor lineman continues, and maybe Bailey was a 7th round pick for a reason.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Wouldn't the OL breaking be a huge contributor in a QB holding on to the ball much longer than he'd like to?

Silky Johnson

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":2k6yvtc5 said:
Cable deserves some props for coaching up the zone-blocking scheme, which powers Beast Mode.

This. He IS the an integral part in our Super Bowl with his rushing scheme and people just don't get it. Idiots.

Silky Johnson

Reaction score
kearly":2h2o8kwq said:
volsunghawk":2h2o8kwq said:
If we indeed follow the "in Cable we trust" line of thinking, then Carp is going to be our LG. Every report on Carp this offseason has been very positive, including straight from Cable himself.

http://mynorthwest.com/422/2547636/Cabl ... ter-Sweezy

That being said, I don't know how much stock I put into Cable's ability to develop guys. I've been underwhelmed so far.

I'm giving the OL a mulligan for last season, most of the line was injured and two of the very best pass rushers in the game played in our division, while Wilson once again led the league in holding the football and Bevell led the league in predictability and inflexibility.

I really like what Cable has done with total nobodies. Sweezy is turning into a nice player, Bailey has looked great when we've seen him. Bowie is doing better than your average 7th rounder. Breno was garbage before Seattle and he was a nice player for us. Frank Omiyale was one of the worst linemen I'd ever seen when he was with the Bears, and was actually decent with Cable. McQuistan had two decent seasons before turning into crap last year.

Unger is not a noboby, but he was one of the worst guards in the NFL (PFF) as a rookie and basically missed all of his second season with an injury. Cable turned that guy into a pro-bowl caliber player in half a season. Unger regressed in 2013 but it was because of injury most likely.

Lynch resurrected his career thanks largely to coaching and advice from Tom Cable.

The only guys I can say disappointed me during the Cable tenure were Moffitt and Carp. I actually do think Cable had Moffitt playing up to his full potential, the problem was that Moffitt's ceiling was NFL backup. Carp just seems hard to motivate, and he hasn't had as much pure talent as his game footage from Alabama led many to believe.

My personal take on Cable is that he is a very good coach who sometimes has blind spots, like for example saying Mike Person was a better lineman than Bailey/Bowie immediately after a preseason in which Person got his ass kicked in every single game playing against camp fodder. Or his keeping Bailey on the bench while McQuistan and Bowie were getting eaten alive at the tackle spots.

And though I like Britt, I think it is true that we could have had him much later, and there are some disturbing flaws in his game that will make him a huge liability unless he can buckle down. Lack of anchor actually seems to be a theme with Cable OL, and defenses are beginning to realize this and exploit it.

I'm still convinced Person was a Bevell/Cable experiment to see if he could play Jumbo TE and go with smaller splits and ball control. It's not even worth mentioning imo because it was a short lived experiment. Why anyone would hold that against him is just random.

Latest posts