Does Wilson have close friends on the team?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Not sure if you guys remember this article in SI after we won the SB talking about Russell's "inner circle" of friends.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2014/08/26/russe ... e-seahawks

Guys he became friends with and trusted all the way through college, and kept close into his pro career. So close friends on the team? Probably not, especially now that he's married with kids.

btw, I think this is normal for most players, not just Russell.........and especially true of quarterbacks who spend more time away from their teammates in meetings with coaches, and at the level of Russell's fame, away from the team in general.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":16c81tqf said:
Not sure if you guys remember this article in SI after we won the SB talking about Russell's "inner circle" of friends.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2014/08/26/russe ... e-seahawks

Guys he became friends with and trusted all the way through college, and kept close into his pro career. So close friends on the team? Probably not, especially now that he's married with kids.

btw, I think this is normal for most players, not just Russell.........and especially true of quarterbacks who spend more time away from their teammates in meetings with coaches, and at the level of Russell's fame, away from the team in general.

That makes the most sense, Russ may be close with Jimmy Graham though.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":20lnbp6g said:
We really are in the pits of the off-season aren't we.

Yes. Thank God the fishing season has started. I can avoid list season entirely.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I don't care if they like him or not, he's their leader. Get over it, suck it up and get ready to win. A lot.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":284towvp said:
I don't care if they like him or not, he's their leader. Get over it, suck it up and get ready to win. A lot.

Couldn't express it better!! With the departure of the old guards, the current bunch are the Wilson boys!!! I expect good thing under the undisputed leadership of one DangeRuss Wilson.

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
Reminds me of the scene in draft day where they found out no one went to the quarterbacks birthday party. You can love Russ as a football player and can also realize he’s not well liked by teammates. He hasn’t been since Nc state honestly. But that doesn’t make him less of a qb. From the not black enough rumors, to the defensive players pouting, to the lead us to darkness adb speech. Russ is a polarizing teammate he’s still a winner.

Tical21

Reaction score
He's paid more and treated differently than all the rest of the players, and naturally that creates a divide. He's also a strange dude and is married to a pop star and has kids. So I doubt he has really close friends on the team. Maybe a guy that also has kids? I dunno. I doubt many QBs have many close friends on their teams. Even in high school, the quarterbacks aren't usually out hanging out with the party guys on the team in most cases. But it doesn't matter. They just have to respect him and be willing to play hard for and with him. And for the most part I think everybody does.

erik2690

Reaction score
Just to answer the question. Lockett Britt and oddly Deshawn Shead are the current/former players he seems to spend the most time with socially. Maybe I'm forgetting someone but those pop into my mind immediately.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Tical21":3s1fdo7r said:
He's paid more and treated differently than all the rest of the players, and naturally that creates a divide. He's also a strange dude and is married to a pop star and has kids. So I doubt he has really close friends on the team. Maybe a guy that also has kids? I dunno. I doubt many QBs have many close friends on their teams. Even in high school, the quarterbacks aren't usually out hanging out with the party guys on the team in most cases. But it doesn't matter. They just have to respect him and be willing to play hard for and with him. And for the most part I think everybody does.

Quite sure the current roaster respect Wilson, and he deserves it, the ones that didn't are all gone now.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's pretty funny that so many assume that he's not liked by his teammates. Maybe by some, but he's a QB, they have always been disliked by some teammates, ALL of them.

Tical21

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2u3nljph said:
It's pretty funny that so many assume that he's not liked by his teammates. Maybe by some, but he's a QB, they have always been disliked by some teammates, ALL of them.
Where are these people that assume he's not liked by his teammates? Are there ANY of them on this forum? Where do you come up with this stuff?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Whatever you say man, plenty of people think he's not liked by teammates. And I don't give a rip what you think about what I post. Doesn't matter. Agree to disagree and they don't have to like him. He's the leader. Like someone said, the current roster seems to have a lot more respect for the guy. The QB has always been treated differently, that hasn't changed in decades. I'm not here to argue, go Hawks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3pqs4l7c said:

There certainly was some discontent with some of Russell's previous teammates with not only his personality, but his preferential treatment by the coaches...............but I think that's gone.

And make no mistake, it was a concerted effort on Pete and John's part to jettison all that negativity, all those players are gone. This is Russell's team now.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Exactly how it felt. If guys can't handle the QB getting all the attention, too bad. This is starting to feel like a team again w/very little drama.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1zqa1brm said:
SoulfishHawk":1zqa1brm said:
Whatever you say man, plenty of people think he's not liked by teammates. And I don't give a rip what you think about what I post. Doesn't matter. Agree to disagree and they don't have to like him. He's the leader. Like someone said, the current roster seems to have a lot more respect for the guy. The QB has always been treated differently, that hasn't changed in decades. I'm not here to argue, go Hawks..

There certainly was some discontent with some of Russell's previous teammates with not only his personality, but his preferential treatment by the coaches...............but I think that's gone.

And make no mistake, it was a concerted effort on Pete and John's part to jettison all that negativity, all those players are gone. This is Russell's team now.

For guys on this forum, ie guys follow the Hawks closely, we probably all could agree that some 'stars' on the team weren't fans or friends of Russ; and was vocal about it. Give credit to Russ for publicly keeping a friendly face and a smile when topic of those teammates came up. Perhaps to those guys, Russ was just a game manager that unfairly benefited from their star performance, which may even be true in some games. But in the end of the day, it's a lot easier to replace other positions than a franchise QB and Pete knows it.

It's nice when one goes to work with co-workers that respects you, more pleasurable if some coworkers like you, downright fun if one has buddies at work. I am hoping Russ can have even greater years now that he has a Russ's locker room, where he is the undisputed leader. Lockett is a smart dude, he may become a lot closer to Russ in coming months, Jerry Rice buddied up both Montana and Young in his days.

Largent80

Reaction score
The Tyler Lockett/ DJ Fluker mocking video is pretty much proof that he is in good shape as far as friends on the team are concerned.

As Hawk fans, he is a BLESSING. All of the malcontents are long gone.

Lets go get some more Rings.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Largent80":ci2l1737 said:
The Tyler Lockett/ DJ Fluker mocking video is pretty much proof that he is in good shape as far as friends on the team are concerned.

As Hawk fans, he is a BLESSING. All of the malcontents are long gone.

Lets go get some more Rings.
This!!

When I saw the mocking video, I was happy for Russ. Now go win some rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris98251

Reaction score
He has great working relationships with a lot of his guys, O line WR's best friends probably not a lot, he only did wife swapping with one guy and that didn't work out so well.

He is a business man now that has to pick his relationships carefully in all arenas as far as who he is seen with away from the game when it is not football related or about the team. We don't see many stories or pictures with guys like that.

It's not like he and his wife are hooking up to do Boogie with Bevell, or the Pete Carroll annual Crochet competition or something, or even Bar B Que with Sherman.