Doug Baldwin says re: CB Shaq Griffiin

hawk45

Reaction score
TBH the bar is really not that high for RCB. Browner and Maxwell were just fine out there. Shaq seems to be an athlete, so I think if he just emphasizes keeping everything in front of him we'll be good. We can totally handle those spots in games where the opposing QB lives throwing everything underneath RCB as long as we close quickly, tackle well, and dole out some punishment where possible.

I def agree I'm less worried rolling Shaq out there than Lane.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":1by6hb4u said:
Just saw this -- quite a statement for Doug Baldwin to make about rookie CB Shaq Griffin ...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/905883672838098944[/tweet]

We're finally 48 hours away from the last stop on the never-ending off-season hype train in which everyone is bigger, stronger, and faster, the best their teammates have ever seen, recovering at miraculous rates, and about to take the world by storm.

CAN'T WAIT.

Good luck to the kid for sure, but tweets like this are the last dying gasp of months of BS for every team.

HawkerD

Reaction score
After watching Hard Knocks this season, one of the most important characteristics for a rookie is maturity. Baldwin had it when he came into the league and it appears that Carson and Griffin also have it. It makes an impression on the vets and coaches because I think it is slightly unusual.

hawk45

Reaction score
Popeyejones":w9awyjct said:
Hawkscanner":w9awyjct said:
Just saw this -- quite a statement for Doug Baldwin to make about rookie CB Shaq Griffin ...

We're finally 48 hours away from the last stop on the never-ending off-season hype train in which everyone is bigger, stronger, and faster, the best their teammates have ever seen, recovering at miraculous rates, and about to take the world by storm.

CAN'T WAIT.

Good luck to the kid for sure, but tweets like this are the last dying gasp of months of BS for every team.

^^^ so true

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":20hp1d9d said:
Hawkscanner":20hp1d9d said:

CAN'T WAIT.

Amen

Here's to the end of List season and Best Shape of His Life season. I wish they'd rest in peace forever.

netskier

Reaction score
I expect Griffin to stand up pretty well, in large part due to Sheldon Richardson. Pete said that he would start Mike Bennett in the middle with Richardson beside him.

I expect our running defense to improve noticeably with Richardson replacing Rubin, and we were first against the run last year, and this will cause other teams to pass more against us this year.

Which is fine, because I expect Richardson to vastly improve our pressure up the middle. If they double team him, then Bennett will almost surely penetrate. Pocket destruction will force Rodgers to pass more quickly, with less time to see and think, and for receivers to get open. Our defensive ends will be closing on him all game, giving him a thrilling game, with less time to throw, and thus easing Griffin's coverage problem.

Carroll, Sherman, and Baldwin have all said that Griffin already looks like a veteran which is the second reason I think he will do pretty well. Chris Richard on Thursday explicitly mentioned Griffin's poise, and ability to stop the over the top throws.

This leaves their Martellus Bennett who will aggravate our historical problem defending their tight ends. Kenneth Arthur wrote today "This will be a rare head-to-head match up of the Bennett Bros. More importantly though, Seattle has consistently struggled in defending tight ends; how has Martellus Bennett looked so far and what sort of production would you expect out of him this season as the Packers TE?". https://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/9/8/162 ... prediction

I would expect them to route tight ends through Griffin's area to increase his pattern recognition problem.

I expect us to counter the tight ends in part with Bradley McDougald, six one, 209, and Neiko Thorpe, six two, 210. Pete said that we would use McDougald in some special looks when we acquired him, and Pete might have said some "three safety packages".

Chris seems to agree, writing
McDougal is going to play a lot, were going to have a Bandit Rush package I think or a dime / Bandit fast package I think and we will see it with TE coverage, watch the GB game I bet we break it out. There is a reason we are bigger and have attitude in our secondary and Coleman is going to be able to handle Cobb.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=138181

I did not know the term "bandit rush" when I read this, so looked it up finding that Bandit Rush means a 3-1-7 defense. I could not find what a "dime / Bandit fast" package is, and would love to have that explained to me. Perhaps it is a 4-1-6, or a 3-2-6.

Thoughts?

themunn

Reaction score
netskier":1ctdgqx3 said:
I expect Griffin to stand up pretty well, in large part due to Sheldon Richardson. Pete said that he would start Mike Bennett in the middle with Richardson beside him.

I expect our running defense to improve noticeably with Richardson replacing Rubin, and we were first against the run last year, and this will cause other teams to pass more against us this year.

Which is fine, because I expect Richardson to vastly improve our pressure up the middle. If they double team him, then Bennett will almost surely penetrate. Pocket destruction will force Rodgers to pass more quickly, with less time to see and think, and for receivers to get open. Our defensive ends will be closing on him all game, giving him a thrilling game, with less time to throw, and thus easing Griffin's coverage problem.

Carroll, Sherman, and Baldwin have all said that Griffin already looks like a veteran which is the second reason I think he will do pretty well. Chris Richard on Thursday explicitly mentioned Griffin's poise, and ability to stop the over the top throws.

This leaves their Martellus Bennett who will aggravate our historical problem defending their tight ends. Kenneth Arthur wrote today "This will be a rare head-to-head match up of the Bennett Bros. More importantly though, Seattle has consistently struggled in defending tight ends; how has Martellus Bennett looked so far and what sort of production would you expect out of him this season as the Packers TE?". https://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/9/8/162 ... prediction

I would expect them to route tight ends through Griffin's area to increase his pattern recognition problem.

I expect us to counter the tight ends in part with Bradley McDougald, six one, 209, and Neiko Thorpe, six two, 210. Pete said that we would use McDougald in some special looks when we acquired him, and Pete might have said some "three safety packages".

Chris seems to agree, writing
McDougal is going to play a lot, were going to have a Bandit Rush package I think or a dime / Bandit fast package I think and we will see it with TE coverage, watch the GB game I bet we break it out. There is a reason we are bigger and have attitude in our secondary and Coleman is going to be able to handle Cobb.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=138181

I did not know the term "bandit rush" when I read this, so looked it up finding that Bandit Rush means a 3-1-7 defense. I could not find what a "dime / Bandit fast" package is, and would love to have that explained to me. Perhaps it is a 4-1-6, or a 3-2-6.

Thoughts?

Whilst in the past we've definitely had fits against tight ends, last year we were one of the best in the league defending them, I'd hope and imagine that will continue through with her

Optimus25

Reaction score
chris98251":siq8zc46 said:
He will have help over the top and we will cheat a little underneath with a LB or the slot guy. After all we Survived Cary Williams.

Don't you ever use that language here again!

CW cannot be spoken of else i will have kelly Jennings flash backs, and then Pandoras box opens wide.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Well Griffin is definitely going to be tested early and often by one of the best tomorrow. Let's see how he does. School is in session!