Doug Baldwin's route running.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Shaz":2dqgnqlo said:
MontanaHawk05":2dqgnqlo said:
We are going to look back with fondness to the days of Russ-to-Doug.

It belongs right up there with Hasselbeck-to-Engram and even dare I say Zorn-to-Largent.

It's already surpassed both of those

Uh....NO.

I love Baldwin's game and his attitude on this team and hope he stays for a long time, but way too soon to speak him in the same breath as Largent.

Man, people who weren't there don't know how good he was. I mean GOOD. Largent's route running and hands were so good and he made Zorn look better because a lot of those catches he made a lesser receiver wouldn't have.

Best Hawk receiver ever - not even close but Baldwin could make a charge if he gets another 3-5 healthy seasons with us.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Ramsey throwing a lil' shade at Baldwin. Sorta. Said he wasn't in the same league as Larry Fitz, which is true, but still. I hope Doug can get a couple over him.

irocdave

Reaction score
Doug is on a trajectory to be as good as Largent, but it is way to early to even think about crowning him as the best receiver the Hawks have had. I love what Doug brings and I think he is the heart and soul of the offense now, but he has a long road in front of him to be thought of as better than Largent.

You younger fans have no idea how good Largent was and that's OK, but look up the stats before trying to debate what several older Hawk fans are saying.

Josea16

Reaction score
irocdave":1oar5zjn said:
Doug is on a trajectory to be as good as Largent, but it is way to early to even think about crowning him as the best receiver the Hawks have had. I love what Doug brings and I think he is the heart and soul of the offense now, but he has a long road in front of him to be thought of as better than Largent.

You younger fans have no idea how good Largent was and that's OK, but look up the stats before trying to debate what several older Hawk fans are saying.
Russell is the heart and soul of the offense. And yes, Doug is getting there but Largent did it when defenses weren't defenseless and actually allowed to play defense.

I'm old enough to have seen the Seahawks from the beginning but didn't really understand football until the very late 70's-early 80's and didn't get into it for
real until the mid 1980's.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Shaz":fmwmttqc said:
MontanaHawk05":fmwmttqc said:
We are going to look back with fondness to the days of Russ-to-Doug.

It belongs right up there with Hasselbeck-to-Engram and even dare I say Zorn-to-Largent.

It's already surpassed both of those
This opinion is both disrespectful and uneducated. Largent also played in a less pass-friendly era, ESPECIALLY his first couple years.

chris98251

Reaction score
Largent was the guy that teams put a target on after the first couple years, we were a expansion team and the Largent and Zorn hook up was started then and became legendary. He beat guys that were allowed to beat you up off the line, could head hunt and closeline yet he survived and more then that flourished. For being supposedly too slow and small he made most the HOF DB's look like amateurs every game he played in.

Baldwin is very good, but if he was the only real guy on the team that you could count on and you had a bad line and Wilson could he do what he does against double and sometimes triple coverage?

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Largent might also have inflicted the greatest payback hit in Seahawk history as well...

[youtube]KKHKtkct5Hw[/youtube]

semiahmoo

Reaction score
This one gives more of the back story with higher quality film footage.

Chill factor 100.

One of the greatest moments in Seahawks history.

And Steve Largent remains one of the greatest receivers of all time. You give him a Joe Montana and he would have at least a couple SB rings on his fingers.

He made both Zorn and Craig far better QB's than they actually were.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Yeah, the people that drool over Rice, Largent had all the records before him and never had one HoF QB throwing to him...Rice had TWO in succession.

Pretty sure if Largent was on the 49ers during that time and Rice was on Seahawks for his career instead, that Largent's career stats would be better than Rice's.

Look at what happens to most "stud" receivers that go from a team with an elite QB to one w/o. Big difference.

Seymour

Reaction score
semiahmoo":1iss0exs said:
Largent might also have inflicted the greatest payback hit in Seahawk history as well...

LOL. I still have that game on vhs. :2thumbs:

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
sutz":3i3dxykp said:
The NFL world has been kind of slow in realizing how good ADB is. He's been durable, too. :2thumbs:
And he'll poop a football.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":3ukxrc2g said:
Largent was the guy that teams put a target on after the first couple years, we were a expansion team and the Largent and Zorn hook up was started then and became legendary. He beat guys that were allowed to beat you up off the line, could head hunt and closeline yet he survived and more then that flourished. For being supposedly too slow and small he made most the HOF DB's look like amateurs every game he played in.

Baldwin is very good, but if he was the only real guy on the team that you could count on and you had a bad line and Wilson could he do what he does against double and sometimes triple coverage?
:2thumbs: Well put.I'm not so sure the young ones understand how brutal the game was back then.
I can't state enough how much effort Largent would put into getting the ball.
He would dive outstretched to the max and come up with the rock so many times.
I don't know what his target to catch % was but it has to be unreal high.

original poster

Reaction score
Yeah Largent and Baldwin aren't in the same breathe, yet.

Largent was drafting in the 4th round was he not? That takes away the only argument of Doug going undrafted IMO. If Largent was a first rounded, I'd listen to that argument, but 4th rounders have to prove themselves as well.