Duane Brown arrested

Own The West

Reaction score
It was at LAX so apparently he got it through at SEA already…

MesquiteHawk

Reaction score
Unless he has a conceal permit I thought he was smarter than trying to pull off a stunt like this.
He could have 400 CCW’s and still not be able to go through TSA with it in his carry on bag. He will apologize and perhaps pay a fine.

toffee

Reaction score
Perhaps someone could educate me on this incidence:
  1. Is it legal to have weapon in check-in luggage? Would that require licenses?
  2. Is it legal to have weapon in carry-on luggage if one has a conceal carry license at the airport of departure? What if one does not have license at the destination?
  3. I am assuming that conceal license or not, it's illegal board airplane with weapon on person?
Thanks

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
  2. Is it legal to have weapon in carry-on luggage if one has a conceal carry license at the airport of departure? What if one does not have license at the destination?
  3. I am assuming that conceal license or not, it's illegal board airplane with weapon on person?
Thanks
Im guessing at the first one.

1. I believe so under certain conditions.

2. I think that’s a no-no

3. Definitely not allowed unless you are an air-Marshall.

Always viewed Brown as a very intelligent guy.
I’m surprised by this.

toffee

Reaction score
Im guessing at the first one.

1. I believe so under certain conditions.

2. I think that’s a no-no

3. Definitely not allowed unless you are an air-Marshall.

Always viewed Brown as a very intelligent guy.
I’m surprised by this.
I am assuming that Brown has conceal licenses in Washington and Texas but not in California, again, I assume that his flight was from Seattle to say Dallas with stopover in LA? Even then, there's no excuse.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
If the firearm is legal in both the states of departure and arrival, then it may be packed in checked baggage only (never carry-on, loaded or unloaded, or on your person unless as SH says above, you are an air marshal).

Airlines and TSA have strict laws regarding the type of case, locks, and ammunition (never loose ammo) that are allowed for checked baggage. People who travel with firearms regularly find that certain airports/cities can be harder to deal with, even when the laws are clear and what the citizen is doing is within the law.

A problem can easily arise if a person keeps a firearm in a bag commonly used for traveling locally, but then takes it to the airport without checking all pockets; it's not excuse, but is embarrassing and is often not intentional.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Thanks
It might be legal to have a concealed weapon, with accompanying concealed carry permit, in the public non-secure area of the airport, but I wouldn't chance it. No firearms allowed in carry-on or on your person within the secured areas in airports or in aircraft, unless you are a marshal.

It is legal to travel with firearms in checked luggage. They require no licenses, assuming they are legal in the state you are traveling from. But IIRC it is not permitted to have firearms and ammo in the same piece of luggage. And (again, IIRC -- it's been a while) the firearm must be double locked, which means either a trigger lock or a separate locked container inside a locked suitcase.

After the TSA was established but before TSA locks were widely available on luggage, I had an issue flying out of Seattle. I needed for my suitcase to be locked in order to be legal, but I also needed TSA to be able to open it and inspect it if they wanted to. So I told the young lady at the counter that she needed to take my suitcase to TSA with the key, in case they wanted to look inside, then return the key to me after TSA cleared my suitcase. She wanted to just take my suitcase and put it on the conveyor just like every other suitcase, and it took several attempts to explain that it was ILLEGAL for me give her an unlocked suitcase with a gun in it, and it would be problematic if TSA wanted to open it but couldn't. Finally she did what I asked, which took a lot less time than it did to explain things to her.

toffee

Reaction score
Thanks guys, sounded like licensed gun in check-in luggages ought to be ok, but nothing else.

Back to topic, I felt like this may not be the first time Duane travelled with his gun. Why he wanted it in carry-on is a mystery.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Back to topic, I felt like this may not be the first time Duane travelled with his gun. Why he wanted it in carry-on is a mystery.
I don't think he "wanted" it in his carry-on. I don't think he even realized it was there. My guess is he got behind in his preparation for his trip. People in a hurry are more likely to overlook things they wouldn't normally overlook. I think the gun was in a bag he uses for multiple purposes.

I know that if it was me, and I suddenly realized while I was standing in line for security that I had a gun in my carry-on, I would not continue to stand in the security line and place my bag on the x-ray conveyor. I'd turn around and do something proactive about my situation.

It would be cheaper in the long run to miss my flight, no matter what was on the other end of that flight, than it would be to deal with the legal repercussions of trying to get a gun on a plane in an improper manner. Heck, it would probably be cheaper just to go to the first cop I could find outside the building and give him the gun as a gift.

MesquiteHawk

Reaction score
It might be legal to have a concealed weapon, with accompanying concealed carry permit, in the public non-secure area of the airport, but I wouldn't chance it. No firearms allowed in carry-on or on your person within the secured areas in airports or in aircraft, unless you are a marshal.

It is legal to travel with firearms in checked luggage. They require no licenses, assuming they are legal in the state you are traveling from. But IIRC it is not permitted to have firearms and ammo in the same piece of luggage. And (again, IIRC -- it's been a while) the firearm must be double locked, which means either a trigger lock or a separate locked container inside a locked suitcase.

After the TSA was established but before TSA locks were widely available on luggage, I had an issue flying out of Seattle. I needed for my suitcase to be locked in order to be legal, but I also needed TSA to be able to open it and inspect it if they wanted to. So I told the young lady at the counter that she needed to take my suitcase to TSA with the key, in case they wanted to look inside, then return the key to me after TSA cleared my suitcase. She wanted to just take my suitcase and put it on the conveyor just like every other suitcase, and it took several attempts to explain that it was ILLEGAL for me give her an unlocked suitcase with a gun in it, and it would be problematic if TSA wanted to open it but couldn't. Finally she did what I asked, which took a lot less time than it did to explain things to her.
Very close, but ammo and gun can be in the same checked luggage. Ammo (airline rule) must be in original container, though some will allow aftermarket ammo storage boxes. Ammo typically limited to 14 pounds.

I use a small lock box to avoid issues with the bag lock. Have had no issues since starting that. If TSA wants a look, they call me for the key.

MesquiteHawk

Reaction score
Thanks guys, sounded like licensed gun in check-in luggages ought to be ok, but nothing else.

Probably didn’t know it was there. when I used my carry-on as a range bag, I would give it a thorough loose ammo check at least 4 times prior to using it for airline travel as even a spent casing can cause you trouble.

toffee

Reaction score
TMZ reported that the gun, which wasn't loaded, was found in Brown's luggage by airport security. He was arrested at 3:08 p.m. PT. Brown, a five-time Pro Bowl selection, posted $10,000 bond and was released from custody at 11:32 p.m. PT, according to an online record.

He is due back at Los Angeles Superior Court on Aug. 3 for a hearing on the charge, which is a misdemeanor.
Man, Duane spent 8 hours with the authority before he was released.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I used to travel with a handgun as an excuse to fly with a locked suitcase. TSA would laugh when they opened the suitcase, and realized what I was doing.