Eagles just traded up for the number 2 pick.

chris98251

Reaction score
First off believing a GM at this juncture of the game is throwing money in the lottery with a promise of winning, with how stacked the Eagles are at QB, signing Bradford, although some could argue we had just signed our QB also before drafting Wilson but Bradford a proven Vet and Flynn a back up hoping for a shot. Something is Phisshy in Philly.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
finally a good move for the browns. now lets see them blow all those fancy extra picks :p

Attyla the Hawk":2oqlt1gy said:
Interesting development.

If Cleveland is wanting Lynch, they can take him at #8 possibly.

But if they roll the dice some, there is a potential trade down partner for Seattle. Lynch would have to pass by Buffalo at 19. Should that happen, Seattle's pick at #26 becomes attractive to move down to #32. Because Denver at #31 is almost assuredly going to take him. Cleveland probably needs to move back into the later R1 in order to add Lynch.

With an additional 4th round pick this year, they have the selections necessary to easily move up. #32 and #100 for #26 is pretty standard and essentially the same as the Bridgewater trade for us in 2014.

good speculation. and based off of prior history, overall # of holes on the roster, and the depth of this draft i agree that i can see a trade like this happening. although, im not sure if paxton lynch will still be around by pick #26 as there are qb hungry teams everywhere it seems- including denver, buffalo and the ny jets... but yeah i can see qbs lynch or connor cook being the targets as bridgewater was a couple drafts ago. acquiring another pick in the top 100 would help strengthen this roster, just hope we dont miss our top target(s) by doing so.

this is all specualtion and 20/20 on my part- but i think that in the 2014 draft where we traded back 2x and eventually selected richardson, our inital target was jordan matthews, but schneider got too cute. thought he could acquire extras and still get jordan matthews at pick #45... and was wrong. matthews being the target because not only was the safer choice (richardson's slight physique and injury history), but had the physical profile and skill set at wr the hawks have been coveting since day 1 of the carroll era

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I'm just now finally getting a moment to comment on this. When I heard the news of this deal earlier today, but first reaction was the exact same as most posters -- WOW! Just wow! First the Rams-Titans deal ... now this?!?!? You gotta be kidding me.

Like the Rams, I would say the same thing about Philadelphia -- when you make a move like this, you'd better be darned sure that Wentz is the going to be everything you think he's going to be because if he's not -- you've just set your franchise back a few years. Coming home just now, I was listening to the Freddy Coleman show and he had Jaworski on, asking him his impressions about this move and who got the better end of deal. Jaws said that he tweeted out right after it was announced that he believed Philadelphia got the better end of the deal ... but added that 74% of Eagles fans believed that the Browns won that deal. Jaws said that he really likes Wentz and believes he's going to ultimately be their answer at QB. We'll see who's right.

Expensive move, that's for sure. Hopefully it works out for the Eagles. Unbelievable.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I hate to beat a dead Jaworski but didn't he also say that Russell Wilson would never start a game in the NFL?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
gowazzu02":2f134oq8 said:
I said the exact same thing in the "lets be honest we're trading down" thread.

These sell the farm trades never work out. Look at Atlanta who gave up a kings ransom to ironically Cleveland when they traded up for Julio Jones. Today they have one of the best WR's in the game, but their roster has no depth and has gaping holes all over the place. In the NFL you just cannot give up that much draft capital and be successful.

That's not entirely true. Most teams don't draft well late. And Baltimore is a rather stark example of a team that generally keeps a very shallow draftable pool on their board. They do very well at that.

Seattle is a team that likes day 3. With only one first round pick on the roster -- we're definitely an outlier in the league.

Atlanta has holes because they don't draft particularly well or develop talent. That has nothing to do with the draft. But in how the team is operated. And if you look at who was taken with those picks (again Cleveland is a bad drafting team so the result is skewed) -- then the trade was a huge win for Atlanta.

Ultimately the results of these trades comes down to how teams pick and develop the players taken. And that's not linear by any stretch. Seattle is one of the best at turning athletes into players.

Teams can be bad at that and as long as they recognize it -- it's in their interests to move up and get fewer better talent players. But you can also be a good team and still succeed by getting better early picks and not bothering with quantity of late round talent.

There are plenty of teams that make their clubs having almost no contributions from day 3 prospects. Instead opting to bestow journeyman contracts to established UFAs to 'fill' the roster and using boosted early picks to provide star power. The key is to do what you do well and stick with it.

OP
OP
gowazzu02

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2ndsj75k said:
gowazzu02":2ndsj75k said:
I said the exact same thing in the "lets be honest we're trading down" thread.

These sell the farm trades never work out. Look at Atlanta who gave up a kings ransom to ironically Cleveland when they traded up for Julio Jones. Today they have one of the best WR's in the game, but their roster has no depth and has gaping holes all over the place. In the NFL you just cannot give up that much draft capital and be successful.

That's not entirely true. Most teams don't draft well late. And Baltimore is a rather stark example of a team that generally keeps a very shallow draftable pool on their board. They do very well at that.

Seattle is a team that likes day 3. With only one first round pick on the roster -- we're definitely an outlier in the league.

Atlanta has holes because they don't draft particularly well or develop talent. That has nothing to do with the draft. But in how the team is operated. And if you look at who was taken with those picks (again Cleveland is a bad drafting team so the result is skewed) -- then the trade was a huge win for Atlanta.

Ultimately the results of these trades comes down to how teams pick and develop the players taken. And that's not linear by any stretch. Seattle is one of the best at turning athletes into players.

Teams can be bad at that and as long as they recognize it -- it's in their interests to move up and get fewer better talent players. But you can also be a good team and still succeed by getting better early picks and not bothering with quantity of late round talent.

There are plenty of teams that make their clubs having almost no contributions from day 3 prospects. Instead opting to bestow journeyman contracts to established UFAs to 'fill' the roster and using boosted early picks to provide star power. The key is to do what you do well and stick with it.

Yes Seattle drafts well and drafts to their system, and we can all list off the names of the studs we've picked late. But we also have our share of duds, the draft if not an exact science, you can't say that Atl is just bad at drafting and or develoing.... While I agree SEattle does both well it's also our strategy to trade down and engulf massive amounts of picks. Your margin for error is greater when you have a huge amount of picks. When you mortgage your drafts to trade that far up you lose any and all margin for error.

xgeoff

Reaction score
JSeahawks":gumbk3oy said:
gowazzu02":gumbk3oy said:
Eagles get the number 2 pick plus a 4th rd next year

Cleveland gets number 8, 3rd and 4th rd this year, next years 1 and a 2nd the following year.

All that for Carson Wentz????

Neither wentz or goff are going to be worth anything near what's being given up for them, IMO.

Exactly. Far, far too much to give up for what amounts to a small chance that either will work out. Best to play the %'s and accumulate as many picks as you can. Drafting and evaluating talent is an inexact science.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Guess they're taking QB.. most likely Wentz .. very interesting.

I think unlike LA with Goff, they will be much more willing to sit Wentz for the year too and just roll with Bradford next year.

Still think they should take Ramsey though. Kid is going to be a Top 5 corner very quickly.