Earl getting flagged after TD?

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Hopefully this close call alerts and awakens the others to NOT do this. It won't be funny next time.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":ghan5duy said:
One of the few, legit calls against Seattle. Humping a ref is illegal I believe.
8)

Absolutely, lol. It was really, really awkward when Earl started humping the ref.
I'm sure there is some political correctness argument to be made that ref-humping is in fact OK, but apparently the NFL has not adjusted their rulebook for that yet. Maybe Earl can protest by humping Blitz's wing during the national anthem on Monday night? OK, so this is degenerating quickly. Stopping now.

Seriously, there has to be some reasonable boundary on contact with the refs, and this clearly crossed that line. And was funny as hell. The GIF in this thread doesn't show it, but the ref was smiling and doing his darndest not to bust out laughing as he threw the flag. Priceless!

Silver lining is it cost us nothing, due to Saints flubbing subsequent kickoff return, and Earl now has one of the funniest highlight reel plays of the year, to go with all his other great on-the-field-play highlights.

dadof3

Reaction score
I think the ref was embarrassed because he started to chub up

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
I wonder if the ref and Earl had conversed earlier in the game about him getting a pick. It almost seemed like the hug and smile were a "knowing" sort of thing that went too far.

I laughed out loud too, and didn't even care about the penalty, even before they flubbed the return.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
I think they should make "ref humping" a specific penalty for 2 reasons.

1.) Get to hear the head ref say "ref humping" over the stadium loudspeaker and TV feed.

2.). Would love to see the hand signal associated with this penalty.

It would be worth an infraction every game.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1fndamtt said:
One of the few, legit calls against Seattle. Humping a ref is illegal I believe.
8)

Shoving or hitting a ref is against the rules. That implies a certain about of malice. Humping? Well, that implies something else.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":a49p3u0j said:
Year of The Hawk":a49p3u0j said:
Coug_Hawk08":a49p3u0j said:
He went to the ground in celebration and hugged a ref. Per the rules, not appropriate. I thought it was funny/entertaining.

Maybe not appropriate but unsportsmanlike??? Maybe say something to hima nd or coach but hitting us for 15. I guess ref was pissed we scored and made his job harder to sway the game......

The rule is pretty damn clear "can't touch the refs."

Awesome play, stupid decision by Earl. Not much gray area.

Not to let the academic in me out, but you really shouldn't put something in quotes unless it is actually a quote, which this isn't.